Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 05-25-2016, 02:53 PM #21
Free Adalaide Byrd

Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
StudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond reputeStudentOfDaGame has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,005.00
Total Points: 10,739.00
Team Fury! - LoadedWraps Being Bold - siablo14 respect - jas Legend - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut666 View Post
You're in for a real treat with these two and in ray's case ,that SIZE is irrelevant but then goes on bizarre rants about Lammota's SIZE of being to big and strong for todays lightweight because he was a natural 170 pounder . Oblivious people will simply not acknowledge how modern training benefits a fighter through taking out much guess work and pin point specific needs for each individual ,one because they are not smart enough to think of even that or two they dont want to admit it ! Lennox Lewis's fitness trainer said it perfectly ,in that those old time boxers had limited concept of what over training was and inability to reduce tissue breakdown through diet .

If the body itself is not at full potential to what it can be you simply dont performe at your best ,add in many boxers couldn't dedicate 100% to boxing bc of having jobs its pretty obvious why boxers are training better today which makes them smarter on that alone ,without having access to video footage which would only expand the difference between then and now by a huge margin . The perfect example of video footage is Max Shmelling k.oing Joe Louis when Jack Johnson told Shmelling to throw a couhter over hand right after watching some footage .Back then fighters simply didnt study other fighters and break them down .Iuse Louis because he was considered the best ,flawless fighter but anyone can see he was always open to that punch ,simple common sense like that wouldn't be complicated at all today to pin point such an obvious flaw ,but then footage was rare as was how fighters prepared . Studying someone extensively would have dramatically effected how a fight is played out .

And the other almost equally nutcase thinks Zorra Folley outpoints Vital Klitchko....
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

In a division with no weight limit, size becomes a very important issue. Of course you get your Rahman & McCall vs Lewis, Haye vs Valuev (cringe) and a array of knockdowns vs Wlad & Fury. However I think the premise of this thread is getting deflected & you've brought it back in line.

If you were to take old fighters pre-12 rounders and put them in the ring today with none of the modern advantages, how would they cope?. The answer is not very well & one thing for sure is that they would never have been as dominant as they where in the previous era. So if todays fighters are rubbish and have amateurish footwork but can in my opinion defeat them if they stepped in the ring today, what does that say for the old fighters?

Ray started his post by mocking my mention of a gym machine. Something so simple that we take it for granted now, the old timers didn't have the modern 5 kg, 10 kg kettle balls. We know if use the machine or equipment it specifically targets a section of the anatomy. Chances are if you're a full time pro and you've got a full time strength and conditioning coach who can get your body in optimal condition, you'll have a competitive edge over a competitor that hasn't.

Don't even get me started with in-depth footage. R. I. P. Simbros (era).

Last edited by StudentOfDaGame; 05-25-2016 at 09:32 PM.
StudentOfDaGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:56 PM #22
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6537 Post(s)
juggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond reputejuggernaut666 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,403.76
Total Points: 74,056.69
Wlad is going to rip Fury and Fury's ego apart - Krusher P4P #1 For your tears :) - motivational Dunce - denium Dunce - denium Dunce - denium 
Bellend - denium Bellend - denium something to suck and bounce on - HughJass No Message - anthonydavid11 gAy J LOL - ^lll 
Send a message via AIM to juggernaut666

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
In a division with no weight limit, size becomes a very important issue. Of course you get your Rahman & McCall vs Lewis, Haye vs Valuev (cringe) and a array of knockdowns vs Wlad & Klitch. However I think the premise of this thread is getting deflected & you've brought it back in line.

If you were to take old fighters pre-12 rounders and put them in the ring today with none of the modern advantages, how would they cope?. The answer is not very well & one thing for sure is that they would never have been as dominant as they where in the previous era. So if todays fighters are rubbish and have amateurish footwork but can in my opinion defeat them if they stepped in the ring today, what does that say for the old fighters?

Ray started his post by mocking my mention of a gym machine. Something so simple that we take it for granted now, the old timers didn't have the modern 5 kg, 10 kg kettle balls. We know if use the machine or equipment it specifically targets a section of the anatomy. Chances are if you're a full time pro and you've got a full time strength and conditioning coach who can get your body in optimal condition, you'll have a competitive edge over a competitor that hasn't.

Don't even get me started with in-depth footage. R. I. P. Simbros (era).
Fight mechanics change from 190 pounds to 230 pounds drastically . Some people simply want the super heavyweights to move like guys who weigh much less and in some cases over 50 pounds more ....this is called being oblivious to reality . A fighter at 210 / 215 simply isnt going to be more effective than a modern 230 /250 pound fighter at heavyweight , 4 out of 5 times they are obviously going to lose.

As for the debate of going longer with less padded gloves ...well i dont see any past time fighter pre 70's lasting long at all to guys off the top of my head like Klitchkos /Lewis /Fury /Joshua /Ruddock/Morrison/ Haye / Tyson/ Bowe /Wilder /Golota / Foreman etc etc ....all those guys were /are huge punchers who actually had boxing talent , the least skilled one was Foreman that i listed but im pretty sure one shot from him in 5/6 OZ horse hair gloves is not going to go good for anyone weighing under 210 pounds which was considered big at one time .

You also mentioned Rahman but he was 6'2 6'3 and he was near 235/240 pounds i think and possibly outweighed Lewis the first time? Its still guys over 230 k.oing each other regardless its not like some old 190 pounder flattened him ! McCall was Tysons sparring partner .How many guys pre 70's would be qualified or have the physical attributes to let him go of like he did to McCall ?Answer:ZERO He would literally k.o everyone unless he took his power down to at least 30%. And Haye is very skilled and while was light he was still 220 pounds and has power ,Valuev is basic and slow though i would bet the house he would k.o Carnera bc he could at least take a punch .And yes when anyone down plays current HW's they certainly are doing it to there own preffered one . CERTAIN members havent figured that out either..lol

Thread Answer

The end of the day i watch video of the "BETTER" footwork of the past ,the problem is i see flat footed 190 /200 pounders mostly ,. 90%of the time they are stationary sluggers or slow methodical plodders in comparison.You have fighters who are praised as legends for boxing brilliant with footwork ,HW's like Billy Conn who weighed 170 pounds and everyone acts someone that light shouldn't be able to move around a slow footed Louis who was losing going into rnd 13th? That fight will tell you just how this thread plays out just add 4 inches to conn and 70 pounds to him....do you think Louis wins? Because you basically have Wlad Klitchko ,the old time guys simply dont fare well here ,to much skill and physical attributes which is the main problem they would have to overcome . Advancements make the better fighter not how tough you were or had to stop someone taking your lunch money growing up etc ,etc ,the more athletic /smarter, stronger fighter will almost always win.

This is why ATG status has to be on each fighters era so you dont take away from what they accomplished away and give past time fighters credit they earned !

Last edited by juggernaut666; 05-25-2016 at 04:36 PM.
juggernaut666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:28 PM #23
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 54,071.19
Total Points: 54,191.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
This is the age old debate, I'll wait for Ray to respond. You seem like a nostalgic bigot if you fail to realise the size difference between Wlad & Louis or Fury & Louis. If you were to have taken a lot of the old timers from the past in to the present, they'd come up short.
A new category of bigot. The nostalic bigot. Recognize a size difference? Of course I recognize a size difference, I also recognize a skill difference, which you apparently do not.

The argument only applies to heavyweights because they are so much larger now than in days of yore. There is no special training available today that would make contemporary fighters superior to former eras. A stairmaster? A weight machine? Some fitness trainer reading your mineral levels off a chart and ordering more orange juice in your diet?

Because there is no other argument, you keep coming back to this one. What these advanced training techniques are keeps being asked but there is no answer. From which well of secret knowledge only developed since then do the superior techniques come. NO answer.

In lower weight divisions the fighters cut more weight than today, and would probably have to fight in a higher division.

The huge stylistic difference between eras amounts to today's fighters running and tapping more, fighting like amateurs to score a points win. That does not make them superior at all. Good fighters used to understand and practice cutting off the ring on mobile opponents. Guys like Tommy Loughran and Billy Conn always existed. In your mind they only existed as a minute minority. Well, their fights were not exciting and were not filmed as often in the days when it was an expensive chore to film fights for public consumption. When a Billy Conn fought a Joe Louis, then it got filmed. People moved on their feet. The fights you see got filmed because people expected a war and got one. Not a lot of movement was expected in those fights. Did not Robinson move a lot in the ring? Did Pep not move enough for you? Conn? Ali? Loughran? Tunney? How many does it take?

The Gibbons' boxing school in Minnesota was a busy place, cranking out guys who understood the scientific side of boxing. Many fighters trained and refreshed there, including Tunney. Boxers with deep defensive skills were not as rare as you think. They did not get filmed as often in an era when it was a big job to film a fight, unless they were fighting a high profile action fighter. Boxers always knew how to run, and many actually fought that way, but running and tapping is seen as the way to success now, it is the pervading philosophy.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 PM #24
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 15,838.45
Total Points: 64,812.96
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn 

Must be why there's no Harry Greb footage. Maybe he wasn't considered exciting enough to film or any old film of him might have deteriorated and gotten destroyed, like the classic lost Lon Chaney movie London After Midnight, which to this day, still hasn't been found.
Anthony342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:26 PM #25
Strong champion.

Quoted: 6897 Post(s)
New England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond reputeNew England has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,941.27
Total Points: 90,508.76
great poster award - jazluvr Merry Christmas bro. Kick back and enjoy. Surround yourself with your loved ones and have a cold one. - deanrw Happy Holidays  New England - !! AI-Holmes!! Ma nigguh, you should come to Ol' England. - D-MiZe for entering the weed thread! - HUGH JASS 
BoxingScene's Educator-in-chief - Dr Rumack i didn't know you live in that area affected, my heart goes out to you...stay strong homie - jose830 #freeNewEnglang - thuggery Coming home on parole brew. - Sweet Pea 50 top poster and cool story in my thread of how you first joined boxingscene. - HUGH JASS 
happy independence day you zulu warrior!!! - HUGH JASS For the fitness and nutrition advice, thanks. - jas A top poster - jas For being a roided up freakazoid - Cuauhtémoc1520 44 posts late.Happy 29,000 post - HughJass 
LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! LOL caught me good KO2. - Hi Rudyo! Suck on this Cry Baby - Rocky... couldn't green you on that big pun post, good stuff - -jose- b-scene ATG - Mike D 
Childhood Cancer - khepesh Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- Childhood Cancer - sugarsmosley World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - HughJass AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jas World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - sugarsmosley 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - jas Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattlingNelson View Post
Well the deck is stacked against the old-timers if they are forced to fight under modern rules ie only 12 rounds, bigger gloves, stricter referees etc.

Imagine how it would be if it was the opposite. 45 rounds, 4 ounce gloves etc.

ray robinson still stretches keith thurman out neatly and you know it. he'd hit him so hard his lisp would dissapear.

i was going to make a joke about shawn porter's horse teeth, but those things aren't going anywhere.
New England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:14 PM #26
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Joe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Beamish has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,482.92
Total Points: 28,350.39
Great Andy Kaufman Avi, bro... - Tony Trick-Pony 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattlingNelson View Post
Well the deck is stacked against the old-timers if they are forced to fight under modern rules ie only 12 rounds, bigger gloves, stricter referees etc.

Imagine how it would be if it was the opposite. 45 rounds, 4 ounce gloves etc.
This is the truth. Every time this question comes up -- this is the only true response. Old rules were so vastly different that you HAVE to specify the rules that the hypothetical contestants are fighting under.
Joe Beamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 PM #27
Up and Comer

Location: Fighting out of the Pound for Pound Gym,Nashville TN
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
MelvinWin is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,257.00

How old boxers? 1920s or the golden age? Also depending on the rules,glove sizes and etc. Still though I think the new age boxers would dominate most of the older ones. We have technology to review old fighters, we have internet to talk about stuff like this on forums like this. We're younger,stronger,faster. If champs from back in the day fought new boxers I think they would have to use their brains more.
MelvinWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:34 AM #28
Undisputed Champion

Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 Cheers!!!!! - Outworn 

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England View Post
ray robinson still stretches keith thurman out neatly and you know it. he'd hit him so hard his lisp would dissapear.

i was going to make a joke about shawn porter's horse teeth, but those things aren't going anywhere.
Exactly. In the old vs. new debate, it depends on what particular boxers someone is talking about. Robinson could beat a lot of current guys, but someone like Conn or Galento is probably toast. Mayweather or Jones could beat a lot of fighters from the past.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:39 PM #29
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 54,071.19
Total Points: 54,191.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
Exactly. In the old vs. new debate, it depends on what particular boxers someone is talking about. Robinson could beat a lot of current guys, but someone like Conn or Galento is probably toast. Mayweather or Jones could beat a lot of fighters from the past.
I have grown to expect more insight from you, Tony. Billy Conn is a master ATG pure boxer. Galento was a strong bum like you find in any era. Billy Conn was no slouch, my boy. In truth, he would probably work Golovkin over good, since GGG would likely have a very difficult time finding him. Billy is consistently overlooked in ATG lists for no good reason except he was fleet footed.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:56 PM #30
Undisputed Champion

I'm not overlooking Conn. I'm not saying he doesn't beat anyone today, just that he would probably lose a few as well.

Share This With Friends

Tags
debate.