Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Freddie Roach help reclaim Cotto's career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake... View Post
    JMM is a career FW and 40

If ortiz or berto or any one beat him @ 147, 150 etc it wouldn't mean much imo
    He is career FW and 40, but it his recent run should count for something, especially just removed from KO'ing the P4P king and biggest rival. I get that with his age, he could show up and look very old overnight. But he also would have two big wins and is an ATG. That's a big win, same Pacquiao over De La Hoya was considered a big win, even though it didn't mean much.

Originally posted by WARQUEZ View Post
    Well Marquez is almost 40 years old. It's not the weight it's the age imo. Kinda like when Chad beat Hopkins and it didn't mean much of anything.

Marquez is reaching that old man bad ass status where losses really don't matter and wins are significantly valued.

I'd give Cotto props if he beats Marquez but I don't think he'll beat him. I think it'll be an amazing fight but ultimately I don't think Cotto can handle Marquez's combination punching.
    I agree with the Hopkins comparison, he's entering that area where if he fights entertaining, he's in a no lose situation you mentioned. But coming off this recent run he's had, Cotto should get props if he beats him, if Marquez looks good in the fight and that the weight didn't affect him greatly. Marquez's superior timing would bother Cotto too, especially if he throws that looping left hook he kept throwing against Austin Trout.

Cotto-Marquez would almost be the guaranteed fight of the year. Mexcio vs Puerto Rico. Two stars in the twilight of their career. Big night of boxing for the fans, especially for a fight without Floyd or Manny.

Comment

delvin rodriguez has 3 wins in his last 9 fights
      cotto better better better tko stoppage this fool

Comment

Freddie Roach can help, but it falls on Cotto whether or not he wants to get back to the top. If he's all there mentally and trains like a beast he could get back to being a world champion.

He will beat Rodriguez @ 154. The problem is Cotto has always been a small JMW, that won't help him as he gets older. If he can somehow make 147, that would be awesome. Imagine two dream fights, Marquez vs. Cotto, Bradley vs. Cotto.

I'm still pissed we never got to see Cotto vs. Hatton lol.

Comment

Originally posted by reflex+speed=me View Post
          delvin rodriguez has 3 wins in his last 9 fights
          cotto better better better tko stoppage this fool
          Rodriguez has 4 wins in his last 9.

Mike Arnaoutis 22-4
          Pawel Wolak 29-1

and his last two fights

George Tahdooahnippah 31-0
          Freddy Hernandez 30-4

He should be 6-3 in his last 9 but lost some controversial decisions. He is matched tough. He has a good chin expect a distance fight.

Comment

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, that's just the reality. I worked with Pedro Diaz and he's an EXCELLENT trainer, I don't know how Roach will do something for Cotto that Diaz can't. Maybe get him better sparring at the Wild Card but that's about it.

I'm sure Roach can show him things, but my question is at this stage of his career, can Cotto change what he already knows in the heat of battle...

I don't think so.

Comment

Diaz did him more good than anyone as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Cotto used to be one of my favourite fighters, but in recent years he has been whining way too much for my liking. I mean, I think it's the wrong thing to do the way he changes trainers all the time as if it's their fault..

Cotto is Cotto, he fights the way he fights in every fight. He had a good gameplan in the Margarito II fight, then he lost to Floyd and walks away from interviews and everything and fires his trainer? I mean, thats kinda childish isn't it? Same thing in the Trout fight.

I'm sorry to say but that kinda **** has made him lose me as a fan..

So to answer the question, I don't think any trainer can do anything for Cotto at this point. He is too stubborn and does what he does everytime the going gets rough.

Comment

No one can. Cotto doesn't want to fight anymore.

Comment

Cotto was better with Diaz but he's a diva so he needs a diva trainer. I think he can do good with Roach but that's because of Cotto's own skill set. Roach aint teaching him ****. He's probably going to get hit a more with Roach.

Comment

In all honesty, the only person that could help Cotto right now is Cotto. He has to become more dedicated to the game and make better decisions. he HAS to move down to WW. It wouldn't be hard for him to make it, he already has a small frame, he needs a better S&C though.
                      Last edited by SnakeVen0m; 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X