Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who knows better how to score a boxing match?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows better how to score a boxing match?

Aboutfkntime?

Or Steve Weisfeld, and by his admission, every other top judge in the world?

Your thoughts boxing world? Poll is there for your vote.

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
    you think that defense is not a factor unless both fighters appear to land the same number of clean punches..... which is totally incorrect

not only is defence a valid factor in judging how a fight unfolds, right alongside (or just under) clean hard punching..... so is effective aggression and ring generalship.....
    Steve Weisfeld and every other top boxing judge in the world
    44.23%
    Aboutfkntime
    42.31%
    Tie/too close to call
    13.46%

Defence is a scoring criteria. It's so important, how can it not be?

Boxing judges aren't some gods that know better than everyone else. They have bias. We see it on every damn card with ridiculous scorecards.

Steve doesn't talk for every judge in the world.

Comment

Clean punching should always be the the most important category in scoring fights. Sadly a lot of fans and even a lot of pro judges don't follow that rule. You have fights like Lara vs Castano where one guy lands the vast majority of the clean punches and can only manage a draw. Its a joke.
      Last edited by pillowfists98; 06-20-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        Defence is a scoring criteria. It's so important, how can it not be?

Boxing judges aren't some gods that know better than everyone else. They have bias. We see it on every damn card with ridiculous scorecards.

Steve doesn't talk for every judge in the world.
        Defense is definitely important..as are the other attributes...but only so far as they help you to land on your opponent...punches landed and punch effectiveness is all that matters in boxing my friend.

Steve Weisfeld:

"Defense: Defense is important because it helps a boxer set up his offense. Most judges that I have spoken to do not give credit for defense alone. If a boxer has a good defense, it means that he is not being hit with punches. But let's remember the purpose of the sport: to land punches on your opponent.

If Boxer A throws 10 punches in a round, but lands none of them, and Boxer B lands zero and throws zero, you still have an even round with no punches landing. You don't want to create a disincentive for a boxer to land punches if he thinks he's going to be penalized for missing."

"But based upon my own experience, my conversations with other judges and seminars conducted by top judges, judges really focus on one category, and that's clean punches."[/B]

https://www.premierboxingchampions.c...ow-score-fight

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
          Clean punching should always be the the most important category in scoring fights. Sadly a lot of fans and even a lot of pro judges don't follow that rule.
          True...and punch effectiveness and punch volume...nothing else really matters at all.

Comment

It's not hard to score a fight, especially when there's a replay.

When you have a replay and you can see exactly which punches land and how cleanly they land, there is no opinion or debate on who won the fight, unless they land the exact same amount of punches with the same exact impact at the same spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
              Defense is definitely important..as are the other attributes...but only so far as they help you to land on your opponent...punches landed and punch effectiveness is all that matters in boxing my friend.

Steve Weisfeld:

"Defense: Defense is important because it helps a boxer set up his offense. Most judges that I have spoken to do not give credit for defense alone. If a boxer has a good defense, it means that he is not being hit with punches. But let's remember the purpose of the sport: to land punches on your opponent.

If Boxer A throws 10 punches in a round, but lands none of them, and Boxer B lands zero and throws zero, you still have an even round with no punches landing. You don't want to create a disincentive for a boxer to land punches if he thinks he's going to be penalized for missing."

"But based upon my own experience, my conversations with other judges and seminars conducted by top judges, judges really focus on one category, and that's clean punches."[/B]

https://www.premierboxingchampions.c...ow-score-fight
              Ridiculous, a fighter can completely embarrass his opponent and show he's in control with defence. If a fighter is throwing and not landing then the fighter who prevented him landing gets credit for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by |DARKSEID| View Post
                It's not hard to score a fight, especially when there's a replay.

When you have a replay and you can see exactly which punches land and how cleanly they land, there is no opinion or debate on who won the fight, unless they land the exact same amount of punches with the same exact impact at the same spot.
                I agree...good post...I think 95% of fights have a clear winner...the other 5% are true even 7-5, draw type fights. My 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                  Ridiculous, a fighter can completely embarrass his opponent and show he's in control with defence. If a fighter is throwing and not landing then the fighter who prevented him landing gets credit for doing so.
                  You are describing something other than boxing my friend. This is not dancing, not styling, not shoe-shining...this is hit and not get hit. That is boxing...take it from a top boxing judge...and every boxing judge he has ever talked to.

That anyone would argue different is strange. Makes sense in a way though because some opinions on this site are a little strange imo.

"But let's remember the purpose of the sport: to land punches on your opponent."

Steve Weisfeld

Comment

ABC Regulatory guidelines.

Scoring criteria

The scoring shall be done on a TEN POINT must system. Judges are to score each round using the following scoring criteria:

1. Clean punching (power versus quantity).

2. Effective aggressiveness.

3. Ring generalship.

4. Defense.

https://www.abcboxing.com/abc-regulatory-guidelines/

Defence is scoring criteria. End thread/

Comment

Working...
                    X