Should I turn my back foot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I turn my back foot

Hello,

I decided to learn boxing a week ago and have some questions that I can't seem to get answers to on the web(I know I should be getting a coach buts it's really hard to do so from where I am living).

So when I was first learning how to rotate my body when throwing a right cross, I was only rotating my hips, torso and shoulders with an internal rotation(knees turning in, back foot very slightly moving and resisting rotation) in my back foot.

After reading up that I should rotate my back foot, I started practicing on doing exactly that and now I seem to rotate my back feet whenever I try to rotate my hips. The problem is that when my back foot becomes sweaty, I lose balance from rotating my back foot which begs the question: Is it wrong to rotate my back foot?

It also is painful for me to rotate my back foot before it becomes sweaty due to friction but that I can cope with.

Thanks for reading,
    Have a good day/night.
    Last edited by BalenCPP; 03-12-2019, 04:44 PM.

Originally posted by BalenCPP View Post
    Hello,

I decided to learn boxing a week ago and have some questions that I can't seem to get answers to on the web(I know I should be getting a coach buts it's really hard to do so from where I am living).

So when I was first learning how to rotate my body when throwing a right cross, I was only rotating my hips, torso and shoulders with an internal rotation(knees turning in, back foot very slightly moving and resisting rotation) in my back foot.

After reading up that I should rotate my back foot, I started practicing on doing exactly that and now I seem to rotate my back feet whenever I try to rotate my hips. The problem is that when my back foot becomes sweaty, I lose balance from rotating my back foot which begs the question: Is it wrong to rotate my back foot?

It also is painful for me to rotate my back foot before it becomes sweaty due to friction but that I can cope with.

Thanks for reading,
    Have a good day/night.
    I would think it's a natural movement as a result of the rotation, not necessarily something that can be learned. You are over thinking it.

Definitely head to a boxing gym because YouTube videos are more for building up more knowledge and skills independently in between sessions. Plus if you want to fight in the future you will need to train and learn from others at a gym. You will be able to interact with people who know their stuff.

Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like there's several things going wrong here. You need a coach to monitor your form.
      You should not be slipping from sweat. Get appropriate gear.
      Also, while there's a little rotation, there isn't much because you're PUSHING off that foot. When you turn it, you get less power.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Sounds like there's several things going wrong here. You need a coach to monitor your form.
        You should not be slipping from sweat. Get appropriate gear.
        Also, while there's a little rotation, there isn't much because you're PUSHING off that foot. When you turn it, you get less power.
        I haven't got boxing shoes yet if that counts. My back foot rotates 90 degrees or slightly less from it's default perpendicular-to-target stance which I think is too much rotation. I just thought that it's normal for it to rotate that much.

Thanks for taking your time!
        Last edited by BalenCPP; 03-13-2019, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DugzBoxing View Post
          I would think it's a natural movement as a result of the rotation, not necessarily something that can be learned. You are over thinking it.

Definitely head to a boxing gym because YouTube videos are more for building up more knowledge and skills independently in between sessions. Plus if you want to fight in the future you will need to train and learn from others at a gym. You will be able to interact with people who know their stuff.

Good luck!
          I need to get to a boxing gym asap indeed, but I think it will be a few months before I can.

Thank you.
          Last edited by BalenCPP; 03-18-2019, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BalenCPP View Post
            I haven't got boxing shoes yet if that counts. My back foot rotates 90 degrees or slightly less from it's default perpendicular-to-target stance which I think is too much rotation. I just thought that it's normal for it to rotate that much.

Thanks for taking your time!
            Your back foot should not be 90*. Not for boxing. Maybe karate. In boxing you're at 45* so going to 90 isn't a big transition. In fact, many coaches will tell you to "roll" your foot rather than twisting.
            Last edited by Redd Foxx; 03-13-2019, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Your back foot should not be 90*. Not for boxing. Maybe karate. In boxing you're at 45* so going to 90 isn't a big transition. In fact, many coaches will tell you to "roll" your foot rather than twisting.
              ^^^^this!

Comment

Working...
              X