Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Should I Start Sparring for Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Should I Start Sparring for Boxing?

New member here and pretty much a newbie to boxing

I've been a part of a boxing fitness gym for a few months... mostly bag work and to get a good sweat going.

However, I've recently joined a legit boxing gym to get more serious into the combat sport. It has been a month now. My coach encourages newbies to wait for a few months... Why is that? I have a boxer friend from another gym who got thrown into sparring on his 2nd week from his coach to see if he would stick around.

My friend says that coaches who make their students wait for sparring is a trust issue for the coach... because some people get disheartened and leave after their first sparring session. What are your thoughts on why some coaches push students in earlier while some wait? Oh, and I'm a female in my 20's... there aren't many if any other girls at my gym... idk if that info helps with this.

Thank you.

If someome starts training old then they're most probably training for fun or to learn how to defend themselves while getting in a good shape, so normally trainers don't spend too much effort on these people because they don't do much for the trainer except bring him in the monthly subscription fee just like everyone else. In that case he wouldn't ever train u too hard so that u don't hate training.

If the trainer however sees that someone is still young and that this kid can still be something in the sport then he'd give the kid more time and effort, that's y they test them early to see if they're worth the time or not. Having heart and not quitting are extremely important in boxing.

Waiting for a couple of months before sparring is not a bad thing, u get to perfect ur technique and u tone ur muscles and improve ur stamina so that u don't gas in the first round, while sparring u won't be able to focus and to listen to ur trainer's advice if u r dead tired, u have to be able to think and u can't think of u r huffing and puffing. U also need to work on ur core so that u can take body shots.

Best of luck! Stick with it, some great things might still happen

Comment

i started sparring right away but i had prior street fighting experience. after a while we focused on defense because they saw my power was bothering their guys and they didnt want them to get too worn down before their fights.

Comment

Great! I am also kinda new here as I have hardly been posting since I joined last year.

You're right about the fact that people leave or quit after their first sparring sessions. That has been the routine. My coach here in Manchester, UK, is very friendly. He always accesses the condition of the player or fighter first. Whoever has prior experience in any sort of fighting is given an earlier entry into sparring. Sparring is a great technique to mature one's technique. It gives you a more practical experience of the real thing. Showdown in the ring is based on how much you've sparred with proper boxing sparring gloves. They are the heavily padded ones!

We could spend hours on the bag but the bag would never defend itself or hit back. Whereas, sparring is very helpful in building you up as a boxer.

As far as pushing the students in it is concerned way too early might mean the coach is result oriented. He either wants to see the athlete fight it out or see if he or she chooses to take a back foot.

I hope you have a good day!

Comment

I'm also a girl in her 20's :P
          I've been boxing for almost a year now and I can only tell you from my personal experience... When I first got to the gym it was let's say a Monday (and I trained M,W,F) and I started sparring maybe on Wednesday of the week after I arrived, something like that. BUT I had done a bit of kickboxing before that. Most people in my gym are asked if they feel like sparring, the coaches won't force you unless ofc you plan on competing and stuff. But in my personal opinion when you got the basics, the sooner you start sparring the better, you need to learn how to fight an opponent and not just a bag that's not going to punch back or duck and slip. For me it was very useful that in my very first sparring sessions I had more experienced fighters who knew I was a beginner and kind of let me get used to the whole thing without showing off but just kind of showing me when I would have gotten hit if it was a real match, most of the times they would just defend and counter-punch until I actually got enough skills for a real sparring session.

Comment

Injection Mould

Originally posted by Raindogchrisse View Post
            I'm also a girl in her 20's :P
            I've been boxing for almost a year now and I can only tell you from my personal experience... When I first got to the gym it was let's say a Monday (and I trained M,W,F) and I started sparring maybe on Wednesday of the week after I arrived, something like that. BUT I had done a bit of kickboxing before that. Most people in my gym are asked if they feel like sparring, the coaches won't force you unless ofc you plan on competing and stuff. But in my personal opinion when you got the basics, the sooner you start sparring the better, you need to learn how to fight an opponent and not just a bag that's not going to punch back or duck and slip. For me it was very useful that in my very first sparring sessions I had more experienced fighters who knew I was a beginner and kind of let me get used to the whole thing without showing off but just kind of showing me when I would have gotten hit if it was a real match, most of the times they would just defend and counter-punch until I actually got enough skills for a real sparring session.
            I totally agree with the concept of sparring as early as possible. Bag work is beneficial but it is limited as you explained, one can't slip or duck.

But we haven't looked into one more thing - our boxing gear

I just found out that the inner material of the gloves is as important, as the outer material. 16 oz TurnerMAX boxing gloves have a high-quality inner material called injection mould. As they are used for sparring, the thickest part being 3 inch thick, helps in complete protection and if you hit the other person with it, he won't feel the impact.

This also improves hand comfort and protects hands against injuries. It doesn't break easily, turning mushy all too soon.

I believe the inner stuff is more important than the outer stuff.

Gaining knowledge through communication as communication is key!

Comment

I started sparring as soon as they told me I was going to compete which was like a month after I began boxing. I agree with what was already said, the sooner the better. You don't know how good you are until you spar.

Comment

Working...
              X