Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why wasn't Shane Mosley able to crossover like Floyd and Pac?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    Hatton is far better known than the guys Mosley fought after beating Oscar. Each of them won in very impressive fashion also in their fights following. There was real excitement in the boxing community for that fight, and for Manny's fights after Oscar as well.

Both Manny and Floyd cashed in on their momentum and pushed it further, Mosley squandered it.

What are you even talking about?
    Yes he's far better known than the guys Mosley fought. How many PPV buys would you say includes casuals? I think anything over under 300k is hardcore fans. Anything over that is casuals.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
      Manny crossed over because he was a little aisan knocking out bigger guys..Manny crossed over because he was an assh0le no one could beat..Mosley had no personality and was not unbeatable
      Mosley was thought to be unbeatable until he ran into Forrest. Not many people expected him to lose that fight. Mosley kinda crossed over. He was on TV shows and talk shows. But he never crossed over into the PPV market. And he was an exciting fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
        Yes he's far better known than the guys Mosley fought. How many PPV buys would you say includes casuals? I think anything over under 300k is hardcore fans. Anything over that is casuals.
        300k would include some casual fans anything over 100k buys includes casual fans.

Comment

Manny was a one of a kind, Mayweather had to talk crap to sell. Mosley was normal like ward = No personality = No big PPV numbers

Comment

I think Larryxxx nailed it, Misely didn't cross over because of his lack of and vanilla personality.

Oscar had Mex/Am & the ladies behind him, Manny had a nation behind him and Mayweather personality rubbed people the wrong way so he was fuelled by the hatred.

Outside of the ring Shane didn't have anything to draw people in.

Comment

So Antonio Diaz, Shannon Taylor and Adrian Stone are supposed to make the public continue to care?

He squandered his momentum.

Floyd after Oscar beat Hatton and was bigger going in than Mosley was. Manny after Oscar beat Hatton then Cotto and was bigger going in. Neither of them lost for years after Oscar, Mosley lost a year and a half later in his next big fight.

^ This. At his peak at WW after Dela Hoya I, he had no big names to fight. Nobody cared about Forrest or Andrew Lewis. He was never able to capitalize on that first Oscar win. It's too bad we never got to see him and Stevie Johnston fight at 135 or Tszyu at 140 (which he skipped). Mosely/Mayweather at 135 would've been serious!

Comment

vargas 2 was also on ppv, i had fight parties for both of those fights.

Comment

lets not get to carried away, yea mosley didnt have a crazy personality and didnt draw in certain people.. but mosley was a big big name and i think its fair to say was a household name

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                    ^ This. At his peak at WW after Dela Hoya I, he had no big names to fight. Nobody cared about Forrest or Andrew Lewis. He was never able to capitalize on that first Oscar win. It's too bad we never got to see him and Stevie Johnston fight at 135 or Tszyu at 140 (which he skipped). Mosely/Mayweather at 135 would've been serious!
                    Why couldn't he get a big name tho? He was with Gotham Boxing after he beat ODLH. I would think he would become an A-side and big names would want to fight him on PPV

Comment

He lost right after his big win, then lost again to that same guy in a row. Got a disputed big win, then lost two more time in a row to a different guy.

Part of being really big in boxing is keeping momentum going, Mosley never did that.

Basically.....

Comment

Working...
                      X