Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone retired with two better wins thans Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone retired with two better wins thans Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr.?

We're talking the resume of the great Joe Calzaghe. He retired Undefeated with wins over two living Legends. He didn't need to fight soft touches or complete novices. That is very rare isn't it? Let's ignore "past-prime" cries from moronic haters. Joe beat two of the supposed best of his generation before riding off into the sunset.

This is a joke right? I mean I like Joe as much as the next guy but saying he didn't fight soft touches or that Jones wasn't shot to crap is just delusional. The Hopkins win holds a bit of weight though. And let's not forget my all time favorite beat down of Jeff Lacy, I still watch that fight til this day, Joe clowned that fool.

Comment

"Shot to crap"? No he wasn't. He found his kryptonite in Antonio Tarver then got KO'd by another top fighter in Glen Johnson. The problem with Roy is that people hyped him SO much, that when they were given a reality check they couldn't process it. There are people out there who say Roy is the best there ever was in his prime. No. He was a top fighter who lost to other top fighters. It happens.

Comment

I keep saying Golovkin should have just retired already, during the middle of last year before he showed his age against Kell Brook. He would have went down as one of the greatest fighters of all time, with his last two fights being victories over David Lemiuex and Dominic Wade

Comment

Originally posted by White Willy View Post
          "Shot to crap"? No he wasn't. He found his kryptonite in Antonio Tarver then got KO'd by another top fighter in Glen Johnson. The problem with Roy is that people hyped him SO much, that when they were given a reality check they couldn't process it. There are people out there who say Roy is the best there ever was in his prime. No. He was a top fighter who lost to other top fighters. It happens.
          Dude he was shot. When all you can beat are past decent fighters who haven't fought in years and guys with 14-6 or 10-9 records, then you are shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
            Dude he was shot. When all you can beat are past decent fighters who haven't fought in years and guys with 14-6 or 10-9 records, then you are shot.
            Where did you get those records from? Roy's "comeback" opponents before Calzaghe:
            • Prince Badi Ajamu, 25-2-1 (14 KO)
            • Anthony Hanshaw, 21-0-1 (14 KO)
            • Tito Trinidad, 42-2 (35 KO)

All UD victories.

Roy's two opponents after Calzaghe:
            • Omar Sheika, 27-8 (18 KO)
            • Jeff Lacy, 25-2 (17 KO)

Both ended in TKO victories for Roy.

Comment

yeah.. Andre ward did, he step up 1 weight class and got two wins over prime, P4P, king of that division.

Comment

Originally posted by White Willy View Post
                "My mum, who was always too afraid to watch me fight, would be annoyed if I went back in the ring but I'm more concerned about my youngest son Connor.
                He came into my dressing room before the Roy Jones fight crying his heart out because he saw me get knocked down against Bernard Hopkins a couple of months earlier.
                He had also spent the Jones build-up watching footage of Jones' glory years, when he was at his peak, on You Tube.
                "Connor was sobbing 'dad, he is amazing' and I tried to reassure him 'don't worry son, Jones isn't that good anymore.'

I think Calz also knew Jones wasn't so good at that point.

Comment

Good joke OP. Good joke.

Comment

The Jones win wasnt much, cmon now.

Beating Hopkins, king of the light heavies, who would go on to win more titles and the lineal title at least once more, was special. It was an ugly, boring, no fight though and in reality, neither man deserved to win that night and both should have been fined their fight fees.

However, in the context of being the best retirement victories, it is difficult to say otherwise. Marciano stopping Moore might be competition but there aren't many more beyond that.

Comment

Working...
                    X