Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justine Fortune admits Pacquiao won't look good with simple decision over Horn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justine Fortune admits Pacquiao won't look good with simple decision over Horn

GENERAL SANTOS CITY – Jeff Horn seemed to be the ideal opponent for Manny Pacquiao in his search for a knockout win.
    So it would really be a big letdown if the reigning World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion walks away with a simple decision in his 12-round bout against Horn eight days from now at the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, Australia.
    Strength and conditioning coach Justine Fortune said the 29-year-old Australian challenger is obviously not in the same level as Pacquiao, who has reigned as world champion in a record eight different weight classes and a former Fighter of the Decade.
    With Pacquiao obviously having the advantage in power, strength, and experience, Fortune believed the Filipino has all the tools to score a knockout in the July 2 bout.
    "This is the perfect guy to destroy," he said Friday while taking a glance at the reigning champion as he shadow boxed on top of the ring at the Pacman Wild Card gym here on Friday.
    Fortune admitted it wouldn't do any good to Pacquiao's image should the fight go the distance.
    "It will look bad for him, and good for Horn," said Fortune, who once fought as a heavyweight.
    [See Pacquiao admits age finally catching up on him ]
    Pacquiao has not scored a stoppage since a 12th-round technical knockout win over Miguel Cotto in their 2009 WBO championship bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
    Fortune has an added reason to expect a knockout win from the 38-year-old Filipino.
    The 50-year-old trainer also handles George Kambosos Jr., a fellow Australian who is among the sparring partners of Pacquiao in this training camp.
    And while Kambosos fights as a lightweight, Fortune sees him as a better boxer than Horn.
    "Horn is the bigger guy, but skills-wise and punching-wise, George is way better," he said of the unbeaten 24-year-old Aussie.
    Pacquiao should take the cue from here.

Jeff horn: “i will be trying to get pacquiao with that same shot marquez landed!”

Welterweight contender, Jeff Horn, is just over a week away from the biggest fight of his life, as he is set to face 8 division world champion and boxing legend, Manny Pacquiao. While the odds are long for Horn, he believes he can shock the world and defeat Pacquiao in front of the Australian boxing fans.
    In my interview with Jeff Horn, I discuss with him the upcoming July 1st bout and get his views on the challenge ahead of him. I also talk to Jeff about Manny Pacquiao possibly taking him lightly and about dealing with Pacquiao’s style. Additionally, Horn talks about the press coverage for the fight, if he thinks he can knock out Pacquiao and gives his prediction. Here is what Jeff Horn had to say.
    Robert Brown: It seemed like the deal was off with the Pacquiao fight, but now the fight is official. During that whole time, were you confident that you could get the deal back on track or were you looking for different opponents?
    Jeff Horn: I definitely wasn’t confident at the time. We were thinking about other opponents but we got told to hang tight and the deal ended up pulling up.
    Robert Brown: How has training camp been so far?
    Jeff Horn: It’s intense, it’s a lot of hard work and I’m doing what I can t get ready for the fight.
    Robert Brown: What advantages do you think you will have over Manny Pacquiao? Do you think he may be taking you lightly and looking ahead to other opponents?
    Jeff Horn: Possibly, that’s something that can happen, especially when you’ve been a champion for so long. I think Manny Pacquiao is smarter than that and I think he’s going to be getting ready regardless of the fight. I don’t think he’s going to be coming underdone.
    Robert Brown: What weaknesses do you see in Pacquiao that you may be able to exploit?
    Jeff Horn: I think he sometimes is focused on his attack so much and he uses that as his offense, but he does leave himself open a little bit, as he was seen to do with Marquez in the fight where he got knocked out.
    Robert Brown: In the Marquez fight he overextended and got caught. Will you be looking for to counter with the straight right when he overextends?
    Jeff Horn: Yes of course, I will be trying to get him with that same shot if I possibly can. I’m working on all of the strategies and trying to see what’s going to work best on the night, but you don’t know until you step in there.
    Robert Brown: Do you think the press coverage has been disrespectful to your abilities and chances, or do you think it has been fair?
    Jeff Horn: I don’t think they know at all who I am, so I guess for them to put me down is pretty understandable because they haven’t heard of me before. I guess if they looked into my fight record and who I’ve fought and what I’ve done in my career so far, they would see that I’m pushing myself every fight and I deserve a fight against Manny Pacquiao.
    Robert Brown: Do you feel that all of the pressure is going to be on Manny Pacquiao? Will he be under pressure to not only win but get a spectacular victory? Will that play into your advantage?
    Jeff Horn: I think it could if he takes me lightly, but I don’t think he’s going to. I think he probably is training hard. He’s been doing this for so long, so the pressure isn’t going to get to him, he’s been in high pressure situations before and this is going to be no different to those.
    Robert Brown: Having Manny Pacquiao come down to Australia, what do you think it does for the Australian boxing industry?
    Jeff Horn: That will do wonders for the sport of boxing if I can put on a good show with Manny Pacquiao on July 2nd, especially if I can win the fight. That shows that the pressure is on me as well. I’ve got to perform well, no matter what, I can’t just go out there and lose in a few rounds — which is what some are predicting. I’ve got to do what I can to make it very competitive out there, and win.
    Robert Brown: Do you think Pacquiao’s confidence will wilt if you take him to the second half of the fight because maybe he is expecting to take you out early? Do you think there’s a chance of knocking him out early yourself?
    Jeff Horn: Who knows, if I hit him with the right punch, you don’t know what would happen. If I do catch him early, I will be going after him. But if that doesn’t come, I will be trying to wear him down later in the fight.
    Robert Brown: What will be your plan if you get past Manny Pacquiao? Would you like to unify the titles?
    Jeff Horn: Yeah of course, that’s the ultimate goal, to unify the titles and become the ultimate world champion.

Comment

Pacman all focused on fight in Brisbane

MANILA, Philippines - The last few days leading up to the “Battle of Brisbane” will be no circus for Manny Pacquiao.
      All the drumbeating is done and over with, according to chief promoter Bob Arum, who told The STAR that once Pacquiao arrives in Brisbane, it will be all business.
      Pacquiao spent the last six or seven weeks training in Manila and General Santos City, and is all set to defend his WBO welterweight title against Horn on July 2 at the Suncorp Stadium.
      An Air Asia jumbo jet that has a seating capacity of 300-plus will take Pacquiao, his family and friends, team members and the friends of his friends straight to Brisbane tomorrow.
      Instead of taking a commercial flight that would take at least nine hours, Pacquiao will board the chartered Air Asia flight, which from GenSan to Brisbane will be a couple of hours quicker.
      Mike Koncz, who is Pacquiao’s ring adviser, is already in Brisbane taking care of things.
      Arum said once Pacquiao sets foot in Australia’s third most populous city, there’s nothing else to do other than focus on the fight.
      Unless Pacquiao obliges, there will be no meet-and-greet sessions, no fans day, no public workouts for the 38-year-old senator.
      “It’s what we normally do during fight week and nothing more than that,” Arum said.
      Pacquiao and Arum will face the press on June 27 and on the following day, they will be joined by the unbeaten challenger for the final press conference.
      Horn and his trainer, Glenn Rushton, will have their own time with the press on June 29, together with the fighters in the undercard.
      On the 30th, there’s nothing on tap, and Pacquiao could either swing by the gym or stay in his suite. It’s the eve of the official weigh-in scheduled July 1.
      The weigh-in takes place at 9 a.m. (7 a.m. in Manila). The fight itself will be staged at around 2 p.m. in Brisbane, which is primetime in the United States.
      Arum had wanted Pacquiao to arrive in Brisbane at least 10 days before the fight so he could adjust to the cold weather and the new surroundings.
      But Koncz said Pacquiao felt no need to stay longer in Brisbane, and added that they were concerned that heading there way ahead of the fight might cause some distractions for the WBO champion.
      “It might turn into a circus with all the people wanting to meet Manny Pacquiao. We’ll be there to win a fight, not to please the people,” said Koncz.

Comment

End of Pacquiao reign is here, Horn claims

End of Pacquiao reign is here, Horn claims
        By Recah Trinidad
        PhilBoxing.com
        Sat, 24 Jun 2017
        HAS schoolteacher Jeff Horn made efforts to correct and improve his predictable shielding stance in time for his July 2 challenge to WBO world welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao?
        It may never be known until the day of the championship if Horn and his imaginative trainer, Glenn Rushton, have found time to work on adjustments to what had been viewed as a robotic style of defense.
        Of course, Team Horn continued to make astounding claims on how to upset Pacquiao, to the point that hometown Pacquiao fans have started to wonder if their idol could prevail trouble-free over his unbeaten Australian challenger.
        There has been no significant change in the odds for the Battle of Brisbane, heavily stacked against the younger and taller Horn. But, if it’s any sign of how his countrymen believe in Horn’s chances, tickets to the championship have almost been sold out, according to veteran promoter Bob Arum.
        In fact, the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane has reportedly requested additional seats—6,000 more—to the capacity 52,000 main venue.
        “Can he, kaya ba ni Manny?” anxious fish vendors in the Mandaluyong City wet market have started to ask. These fight fans had given Horn no chance at all against Pacquiao over two months back.
        For his part, the best that Pacquiao would claim was that he would stay very focused, no distractions, only limited engagements with the media, no holidaying.
        So far, there has been no response to claims that Horn would try to get Pacquiao with a big surprise shot.
        Trainer Freddie Roach said they would not take Horn lightly, adding Pacquiao would go for a resounding knockout.
        Meanwhile, one report on the eve of Pacquiao’s departure for Brisbane quoted Horn as saying he wanted Pacquiao to enjoy his few days as a champion as the title would change hands on July 2.
        “I believe this is the start of a new era in boxing and a changing of the guard,” Horn was quoted by Brian Rodrigues of the International Business Times as stating.
        “He (Pacquiao) is getting a bit older and I am still young<” Horn continued. “I am ready to take a shot and I am ready to take it off.”
        That’s as harsh as saying Pacquiao’s days are numbered. It’s doubtful if though if Pacquiao would reply once he has touched down in Brisbane.

Comment

Pac shouldn't take horn lightly.

Comment

Pac should stay focus.

Comment

Pac be ready 100% or horn will beat you.

Comment

I hope pac can ko the undefeated horn.

Comment

Big block of text is big

Comment

Pac shouldn't take horn lightly.

Comment

Working...
                    X