No announcement yet.

IBF - good for boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBF - good for boxing?

Boxing is rather unique in the fact our champions come from 4 (excluding RING) bodies, a really messy affair especially to those coming to boxing for the first time - it is very confusing.

Many people say all sanctioning bodies are corrupt and are in there for the money, hands down. I'd say there is truth in that somewhat, these bodies need money to survive of course, though it is obvious that corruption is absolutely rampant within the WBA and WBC.

Froch's win last night got me thinking about the IBF. There was utter scandal with the IBF I believe in the 90s, (and early 00s?) of corruption, however since then there has been top down reorganisation of this body. Whilst not the most legitimate body (ie most true champions dont have this belt) I believe it is least corrupt body, and has done at least some justice for boxing with its cloudly championship scene.

Why I think that? The IBF have a number of points in its favour:

-It has a weigh-in on the day of the fight, which to me is great for all weight classes (excl heavyweight) since it lessens the advantages fighters may get for putting weight on between the weigh-in and fight.

-The IBF don't have the ridiculous Diamond belt system, or a Super champion. The IBF simply have one champion per weight class, and thats how it should be.

-As far as I know, the IBF only have interim champions in very special circumstances. The IBF generally do not use the interim championship like the rest of the bodies have.

-It is based in the USA and therefore is subject to a lot more regulations.

-It is listed as a non-profit organisation along with the WBO.

-It does not get involved personally in controversial matters, or in fights themselves. Like Sulaiman on Pacquiao, as a fan of the sport I expect bodies to be neutral. Also, the IBF did not take sides on the Haye-Chisora spectacle.

-It does not change its rankings/ratings/decisions easily unlike the WBC, it follows its own rules.

Theres been a few affairs recently though. The Cloud/Capillo match was disgraceful. I'm not sure how far you can blame the IBF for that though, seeing as though Don King has the greatest track record for paying off Judges. Also we had the Mystery Man, however the IBF were to hold an official hearing for this situation till Khan called it off. Have there been any recent examples of corruption that I havent listed?

To me, it seems unfair to list the IBF alongside the WBC/WBA in terms of corruption. Though I may be wrong, this is what I know and I may have missed out some blatent examples which totally disprove everything I say However, from what Ive put, it seems the IBF have been plagued by its history, and its quite an underrated body considering the procedures it has.

What are your thoughts boxingscene?
    P.S, knowing the standard of argument on here, I am in no way trying to big up Froch's title here.

All of the sanctioning bodies have their flaws. In my opinion, none of them are perfect. The WBC have pretty much gifted titles to certain boxers who didn't earn them (Like Saul Alvarez, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Erik Morales) and the WBA do hurt the sport of boxing by having in some cases 3 world champions per division, but their rankings are generally much better structured than the IBF and WBO rankings. The IBF will keep a guy as their mandatory challenger even if he hasn't fought in a year and a half (This is the case with Vusi Malinga at Bantamweight and I bet it has happened with several other boxers too). The WBO rankings are just terriblly structured. If I was a boxer I would go for the WBA belt because I think it looks the best and it also has the most history.
    Last edited by JK1700; 05-27-2012, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I think the IBF belt looks best, though I do have red trunks myself x) Though thats not the point

Yea none are perfect, I just think the IBF are the best out of the lot. The WBO, to me, seem to have a lot of home fighters and paper champions (i'm looking at Burns, Cleverly and a lot of others i've never even seen fight).

Comment

IBF and WBO are better than the other two but that doesn't mean they're not corrupt themselves. The IBF is notorious for stripping fighter left and right and enforcing mandatories to stop unifications.

Comment

Also the judges are not bias. not on the other commission there is always something bad goin on.

Comment

I'm guessing you're very new to the sport to suggest any of the sanctioning bodies are better than the others. The IBF was probably the most corrupt until a few years ago. Dan Rafael hates them more than any other for some of the stuff they have pulled.

Comment

I don't like IBF refs, a lot of them suck at their job but that's my only complaint.

Comment

I'm guessing you're very new to the sport to suggest any of the sanctioning bodies are better than the others. The IBF was probably the most corrupt until a few years ago. Dan Rafael hates them more than any other for some of the stuff they have pulled.
                Thats a very misfounded statement. I've already addressed that if you read above, thank you. I'm talking about now. And by better, you mean least corrupt? Then yes, though I am hoping for people to prove me wrong.

Is there any examples of the IBF stripping or placing mandatories to prevent unification? I'm writing a paper on this and that would be great to put in.

I noticed that about IBF refs too. I like some of them though, I think it was the Cloud/Campillo fight where I thought the ref was down to earth and pretty good at his job. The Froch/Bute ref was terrible, I thought he was stopped the fight at the end of round 4, then again at rd5 but he started counting, how vague. Was the Khan/Peterson ref appointed by the IBF? It was a unified fight so i'm not so sure, but the less said about him the better.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                  Is there any examples of the IBF stripping or placing mandatories to prevent unification? I'm writing a paper on this and that would be great to put in.
                  They stripped Clottey just before he fought Cotto in what was supposed to be an IBF/WBO unification. Supposedly because Cotto didn't submit documents in time for the IBF to approve the unification, so they said Clottey had to fight mandatory Hlatshwayo or be stripped.

They stripped Alexander before he fought Bradley, that would have been an IBF/WBO/WBC unification, again because they supposedly didn't receive papers in time so they forced Alexander to fight the #1 contender Mabuza or lose the belt.

Comment

Thanks Light Speed, just what I needed

Comment

Working...
                    X