No announcement yet.

Why MMA is starting to regularly do better PPVs than Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint650 View Post
    by the way i think both sports can steal ideas from the other. UFC fights move along quickly, they have the whole WWE pyrotechnics and big screens everywhere with the music blasting, girls shaking their asses, and i think it's good fun....but there's very brief and unformative introduction reels of the fighters. a case of all style and no substance. i
    Boxing doesnt rely on it's production flair, in fact, most of the time theres a lot of downtime, and less than exciting moments before fights. you can practically hear a conversation in the crowd. BUT, they have compelling documentaries. heartfelt drama, and personal stories of fighters that help build the importance of a fight. and seriously, who does not like the slow panning in on Larry Merchant as he provides us with another great metaphor for the nights event. it's classic.

i have a problem with some fight cards in boxing (like when they don't air them live) but for the most part Boxing has a nice balance of free events and PPV. it would be cool to see some UFC events without having to shell out $45 doll hairs everytime.
    And what you say about having to shell out 45.00 everytime to see one of these things, is what's going to lead to UFC's downfall. If they can't get on regular cable or something like HBO, then UFC/MMA will go the same way KickBoxing went: Out the Window.

I for one, am not into the UFC/MMA scene. It has to much of a "WWE" feel to it. Boxing, for the last 150 years or so, has always been America's martial art. It's always been seen as the "Manly thing to do" if two guys ever got into a scuffle. Anything else, you'd be labled as "YELLOW". Or, "You fight like a girl." Not disrespecting the few women on here, but you guys get my drift. I also think, the lack of a really good American HW, is hurting the sport. Who can really say what guys like, Arreola, Chambers, and Johnson are going to turn out to be. All the talent and excitement are in the lower weight classes right now, and that's fine by me. 130-160, have a wealth of talent and exciting fighters to watch.

In the end though, I think Dana White's big mouth is going to be both his and the UFC's ultimate downfall. Alot of people see him as another Vince McMann. Both guys are major "TOOLS" of biblical proportions.

"Al la: DON KING!"
    Last edited by DempseyMarciano; 06-15-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

If boxing wants to to catch MMA in North America, they need to make average Joe Sportsfan aware of WHO THEIR FIGHTERS ARE and WHERE THEY CAN SEE THEM FIGHT FOR FREE. Period.

The UFC shows a ton of free, full-length replays of recent fights on ****e TV via their program UFC Unleashed. Imagine if boxing showed full length boxing fights on a cable network constantly, showcasing some of boxing's top fighters. Fans would finally KNOW the fighters out there and would have a frame of reference by actually SEEING them fight before. Boxing does a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE job of making their sport accessible to the average television viewer. The UFC, on the other hand, is all over the TV.

Boxing just needs to pull its head out of its ass and get in front of the consumer for once and quit hiding in the shadows!!

Comment

Depth on the cards, having prospects like Korobov, Gamboa, Boytsov, Lara,Rigondeaux etc the face of the guys who will be at the top in a few years time so fans can get to know them, follow their career, and get invested in the fighters

and marketing, the UFC owns all and that's a big reason why they have so many casual fans and why alot of them turn into real fans

for every event they have a countdown show like 24/7. They show you the fighters, their career, a glimpse of their lives.
        Knowing the fighters makes it more interesting, their career progression gets the fan invested in them and that's how to get your hooks in them and keep them fans

how many would know who Clotty, Kessler, Williams, Chagaev, Darchinyan are? Those are big names and most people wouldn't have a ****ing clue, even someone like Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
          Depth on the cards, having prospects like Korobov, Gamboa, Boytsov, Lara,Rigondeaux etc the face of the guys who will be at the top in a few years time so fans can get to know them, follow their career, and get invested in the fighters

and marketing, the UFC owns all and that's a big reason why they have so many casual fans and why alot of them turn into real fans

for every event they have a countdown show like 24/7. They show you the fighters, their career, a glimpse of their lives.
          Knowing the fighters makes it more interesting, their career progression gets the fan invested in them and that's how to get your hooks in them and keep them fans

how many would know who Clotty, Kessler, Williams, Chagaev, Darchinyan are? Those are big names and most people wouldn't have a ****ing clue, even someone like Cotto
          ^^ Dude gets it.

Seriously, boxing - with all its corruption and problems - is really VERY CAPABLE of rivaling MMA's meteoric rise in popularity if they can just GET THEIR PRODUCT IN FRONT OF THE CASUAL VIEWER'S EYES. That's boxing's biggest problem, in my opinion.

Comment

Generally you get two main event type fight in the UFC and in boxing you can pretty much play video games until the main event. Also because MMA is boxing and a lot more although not as developed as boxing it has a lot more to offer.

Boxing has been broken down to a science and is as good as it's going to get while MMA I doubt will ever truly be broken down to a single science thanks to fighters like A.Silva, Machida, and even Cung Le though lesser known.

Comment

UFC cards are stacked. BOXING usually only have the main event

UFC goes city to city so more fans can see it. picture boxing traveling like that instead of staying in vegas.

UFC make better matches. BOXING make floyd/jmm

another thing UFC dont come on free the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlei_Silva View Post
                LOL. Someone is butthurt. Need a tampon sweetheart?
                No but you prove me right with your MMgay avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Patheticfraud? View Post
                  No but you prove me right with your MMgay avatar.
                  How is that? You are mad judging by your comments. You aught to take a look at your own sig being a die hard boxing fanboy.

Your frequent use of "Gay" shows that you have nothing intelligent to say on the subject and are just "mad" for no reason. What did MMA ever do to you?

It's not like we're buying you guys out.

You stick to boxing and I'll stick to MMA.

What the hell is wrong with you boxing die hards?

Butthurt all the time for someone that isn't even directly affecting you.

Man you're pathetic

Comment

I'm a casual UFC fan, but hardcore boxing fan...

We need to see boxing promotions make shirts and stuff, cuz you see a buncha WHITE BOYS now a days shavin their heads and wearin UFC shirts...boxing should have shirts of their top fighters (AND NOT the shirts that have a screen picture printed on it!)

Comment

Originally posted by mozzer101 View Post
                      I follow MMA along with boxing. I agree, I think the reason why they are doing well is they put on great cards. The match makers have done a good job of putting good fighters against each other. I'll give you an example: ODLH vs Pac Man. That undercard was so weak. It was great to see ortiz on there but they should have had more top fighters on that card. UFC 100 has one of the best cards ever its stacked. Fans want to get there moneys worth. I'm a boxing fan first but UFC is doing a great job with PPV numbers.
                      the focked up **** is, that the undercards in boxing have sucked for so long, that casual boxing fans no longer even watch the undercards, so there is no incentive for promoters to put on competitive undercards.

we got a vicious cycle going here.

Comment

Working...
                      X