Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardest puncher in the heavy weight division history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    These three I know personally to be the hardest punchers I have ever witnessed.

Ernie Shavers
    Mike Tyson
    Ken Schmidt

Worked pads and held heavy bags with all three.

From my experience talking with inside fight people George Foreman is all ways mentioned. Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis are legendary along with Marciano.

Sonny Liston
    Big Cat Williams
    Max Baer
    Elmer Ray
    Bob Fitzsimmons

No need to get popped by any of them.........

Ray
    Ray

Imagine being volunteered as the aid for that scientific study? Reminds me of a scene from "Pacific Heights" with Michael Keaton, where he has to show he was beaten up by the landlord. So he goes to a professional!

Comment

The only thing that got beat up were my hands (pads) and a couple of misplaced shots on the my wrists.
      Mike and Ernie were winding down from their workouts and were not giving the pads anything brisk but the impression of them remains very clear.
      Ken Schmidt was a local fighter sent to me from Gil Clancy who had already had a promoter in place so they hired me to work with him and handle him in his fights. He was an ex "full contact" fighter who coiuld punch like a mule kick but had horrible balance and was to stiff to take good shots well. He sure could punch!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        Ken Schmidt was a local fighter sent to me from Gil Clancy who had already had a promoter in place so they hired me to work with him and handle him in his fights. He was an ex "full contact" fighter who coiuld punch like a mule kick but had horrible balance and was to stiff to take good shots well. He sure could punch!

Ray
        BoxRec-checked Mr. Schmidt (13-3; 9 KOs). Do you know why he quit after the "cut-eye stoppage" defeat against Dino?
        Dino was a tough guy. Was Schmidt a typical "4-round fighter?" Noticed he had two decision wins over a young Epps. Pretty good tallies, I think.

Comment

Listen being hit by Tyson was like being hit by a speeding corvette, being hit by Big George was like being hit a by a slow moving Mack truck.

Comment

Kenny wanted a shot at the New England Heavyweight Title so he built his name up and his backers gave Dino some good money to come down to New Haven and fight.
            If Kenny fought with pressure I think he could have gotten Dino out of there but for some reason he tried to box with him and got a bad cut!
            He was an excellent finishing carpenter and made plenty of money running his own shop and owned one of the Pumpernickel Pubs
            that his family franchised.
            First fight with Epps was a live show that opened the Closed Circuit Leonard vs Duran show. Kenny and Starling handled a ton of ringside sales so their pay outs were a lot better than their bouts payed. Most fans don't realize the value of honking the most expensive tickets to increase your own value.

Melvin was a good kid and if he had more confidence I doubt Kenny lands anything. Epps was about 6'1" but had longest arms! Those were good prelim fights.

Ray

Comment

Foreman.
              He stopped Frazier and Chuvalo.
              Need more proof?

Comment

Thx for info, Ray.

Here's another hard-hitter named Ken.
                Back in the 1970s, Ken Clean-Air System put the fear of God into opponents.

Comment

Wladimir Klitschko or George Foreman.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sentax View Post
                      Listen being hit by Tyson was like being hit by a speeding corvette, being hit by Big George was like being hit a by a slow moving Mack truck.
                      True, kind of like how Bruce Lee would describe heavy handed punches vs. punches with snap, one being hit with an iron bar and the one with snap being hit with a chain with an iron ball at the end of it.

So Foreman was considered heavy handed and Tyson was considered a puncher with snap. Who else hit with snap?

Comment

Working...
                      X