No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO is Leaving Boxing After 45 Years, Network Announces

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
    You mean to tell me that Eddie Hearn is willing to throw anywhere between $20-$25mil on a platform with a limited audience and viewing subscription among casual fans. How will he be able to recover those $20-$25 mil net losses? How will his investors expect to make a profit by overpaying Alvarez over the internet?
    Without Alvarez, I don't think Hearn secures enough talent to get Performance Group to guarantee years 3-8 on the deal; assuming the deal is on an escalator, that could be worth near $800m.

Alvarez gives Hearn the US-based asset he needs to market to market the app, with Joshua acting as the matinee sweetener.

Because Eddie's not getting the billion with his UK fights in the afternoon, Demetrius Andrade, Jessie Vargas, and the random fight without commitment from one of the TV broadcasters.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigStomps View Post
      Little girl, little girl you... You really are a fool!
      Just cause you hold grudges like a little girl don't mean everyone else does.
      Boxing is a business. What part of that don't you understand?? When you have an opportunity to sign the biggest star in boxing to your network then you put your own personal feelings, your pride, and your ego to the side.

Unlike you Stephen Espinoza is a very smart man and he's not gonna let his own personal feelings towards Oscar get in the way of him trying to bring Canelo back to Showtime. Canelo is the cash cow in boxing, he brings money and ratings so why wouldn't Stephen want him back on Showtime??
      Think about it you fool! It dont matter what happened in the past! This is a business, You don't let your own personal feelings get in the way of business decisions!
      And Canelo is signed to Golden Boy promotions so it's not like he can just go and sign his own TV contract with whoever he wants!

You do remember it was Oscar who took Canelo away from Showtime and took him back to HBO so obviously Oscar has a say so in what network Canelo fights on.

I'm sure you're still a loser living with your momma and you've never accomplished anything in life and you probably never will cause your such a fool who doesn't think with his brain. Canelo is money so why wouldn't Showtime want him??
      Just think about it before you respond!
      And just cause a fighter loses a fight doesn't mean it's the end of his career.
      Both Linares and Jojo gave a great account of themselves in a losing effort and they both lost to great fighters and there's no shame in that! I'm sure networks will still be interested in showcasing their fights.
      But you're gonna feel stupid when Canelo and Golden Boy promotions sign a TV deal with either Showtime or ESPN. You'll see.....
      Hate all you want little girl... 😂
      Believe what you want, but I've said what I've said. Espinoza isn't hurting for access to talent at all, and there's no incentive for him to help Oscar with ****.

We'll see how things shake out soon enough

Comment

• They looked at their data and asked how many people were buying subscriptions or PPVs for boxing instead of finding a free stream when the other 90% of the time they're a far-left shemale promoting channel & realized not that many.

Comment

• HBO's dumb ass agenda of trying to push Eastern Europeans to the american boxing audience killed them.
          Majority of boxing fans in the USA are of hispanic descent or black. Not saying that they won't support a european fighter, but the way HBO marketed them was pretty obnoxious beyond reproach, I don't feel bad for them at all. Hopefully they come back with some new commentators but I won't hold my breath.

Comment

• A sad day for boxing. In the 80's and 90's HBO was a very special channel (before cable existed really ... way before ESPN even). For adult style movies, special shows, and Boxing. PPV's were such a novelty back then, and special. HBO was the definition of a premium channel, and boxing was a special event, often on weeknights. The coverage was the best even if the fights didn't always pan out.It was always a special event.

The television universe is very different now. The younger generation of executives at HBO has a real challenge keeping HBO special. Dropping boxing will lose a special market segment, but I guess they are gearing more towards family fare and corporate decision-making.

I super enjoyed HBO Boxing's run.
            A sad day ... whatever the reason it has come.

Comment

• HBO is the most loved network when it comes to boxing. RIP

Comment

• Now I can afford DZAMN and ESPN+ with change. HBO must be failing all together, cutting off the only thing they had worth the high price. I don't want HBO without boxing, way overpriced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Believe what you want, but I've said what I've said. Espinoza isn't hurting for access to talent at all, and there's no incentive for him to help Oscar with ****.see

We'll see how things shake out soon enough
                  That we will little girl!

Comment

• Originally posted by eco1 View Post
                    hbo was not around in 1973. were they? huh...
                    ... HBO is the oldest and longest continuously operating pay television service (basic or premium) in the United States, having been in operation since November 8, 1972.

Comment

• Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
                      HAYMON KILLED HBO

My same thought 😂

Comment

Working...
                      X