No announcement yet.

Arranging meals for max energy, nutrition, metabolism

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arranging meals for max energy, nutrition, metabolism

What is the policy on arranging meals or foods in order to maximize nutrition, energy, & metabolism? I do my boxing workouts in the morning and my runs at night. I hardly have any energy for my runs, and I think it has to do with what foods I am eating toward my 6:00 PM food deadline. I have to say that I load up on high fiber/protein foods toward the end, like beans and lentils. I was reading that for pre-run you should just have a medium carb snack like a banana or some other fruit.

So, in general, how do you guys stack your nutrients for breakfast, lunch, dinner? What nutrients are you taking in throughout the day, and with what purpose. Talk about metabolism, nutrition, and energy levels based on meal arrangement.

Also, should I worry about counting carbs, fiber, protein, fat for weight loss if I am working out pretty hard? I am 5'11", 176 lb. and trying to get to 155 lb. I am taking in about 1,755 calories, 60 g. fat, 186 carbs, 62 g. fiber, 85 g. protein. My workouts are boxing for 1.5 hr. and 30 min. runs.

this is what i do, and i train damn hard. i do athletics though, sprinting.

I eat fruit, and drink fruit juice, in the morning, till like 3pm. about 500cals.

I have a meal at around 4pm, big meal normally, depends, normally a good mix between carbs and protein, my body seems to respond to carbs more then protein. i do eat protein, just not all the time, cause it makes me feel fat and lazy if i eat too much.

So lets say i eat pizza and chips and salad. thats 1100 Cals.

Then i train damn hard, i have enough fuel to do all runs at good pace.

Then i come home from training, i got to eat again, sometimes ill eat crap like dohnuts and chocolate and sweets.

Other times ill eat porridge.

Its good to eat after working out, you dont want to go bed hungry ever, its not good for you.

and apart from all that, drink lots and lots of water through out day, which is 0 cals.

so id say i eat between 2000-3000 cals per day. i train 3-4 times per week.

Food is your fuel. This could be a horrible diet for some, but works for me and ive lost 2 stone (26 pounds) in 6 months, so at a good pace.

Comment

Originally posted by zapdos View Post
      this is what i do, and i train damn hard. i do athletics though, sprinting.

I eat fruit, and drink fruit juice, in the morning, till like 3pm. about 500cals.

I have a meal at around 4pm, big meal normally, depends, normally a good mix between carbs and protein, my body seems to respond to carbs more then protein. i do eat protein, just not all the time, cause it makes me feel fat and lazy if i eat too much.

So lets say i eat pizza and chips and salad. thats 1100 Cals.

Then i train damn hard, i have enough fuel to do all runs at good pace.

Then i come home from training, i got to eat again, sometimes ill eat crap like dohnuts and chocolate and sweets.

Other times ill eat porridge.

Its good to eat after working out, you dont want to go bed hungry ever, its not good for you.

and apart from all that, drink lots and lots of water through out day, which is 0 cals.

so id say i eat between 2000-3000 cals per day. i train 3-4 times per week.

Food is your fuel. This could be a horrible diet for some, but works for me and ive lost 2 stone (26 pounds) in 6 months, so at a good pace.
      Yeah, I don't know if you are joking with the junk food you eat, but that is not for everyone. I am eating super healthy right now, but I do feel sluggish after my fiber meals for dinner. Then, I go for my run with hardly any energy. So, I might eat these fiber meals during lunch and just have something light for dinner like veggie shake and some fruit.

Comment

Donuts as a post work out meal and you're losing weight, I'm assuming you're still young.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Usually I will try and eat oatmeal apple flavored for breakfast and before working out fruits of some kind, bananas like 3 of them as a general rule but for me it never mattered too much how I arranged the meals.

I see gains and feel stronger when I am just eating alot and making sure to take weight gainers with whole milk. I am 5'11 a good fit 195lbs and can get to a solid low 200s if I take in 4000 calories or so a day. I train 4 days a week but then again I rarely ever drive and walk most of the time which certainly is a contributor to me needing to eat so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman0811 View Post
            What is the policy on arranging meals or foods in order to maximize nutrition, energy, & metabolism? I do my boxing workouts in the morning and my runs at night. I hardly have any energy for my runs, and I think it has to do with what foods I am eating toward my 6:00 PM food deadline. I have to say that I load up on high fiber/protein foods toward the end, like beans and lentils. I was reading that for pre-run you should just have a medium carb snack like a banana or some other fruit.

So, in general, how do you guys stack your nutrients for breakfast, lunch, dinner? What nutrients are you taking in throughout the day, and with what purpose. Talk about metabolism, nutrition, and energy levels based on meal arrangement.

Also, should I worry about counting carbs, fiber, protein, fat for weight loss if I am working out pretty hard? I am 5'11", 176 lb. and trying to get to 155 lb. I am taking in about 1,755 calories, 60 g. fat, 186 carbs, 62 g. fiber, 85 g. protein. My workouts are boxing for 1.5 hr. and 30 min. runs.
            I don't know what your eating for carbs and sugars but to me it sounds like you might lacking in them. If your a athlete, you need carbs, you just need to cut them down as fight time approaches.

If you don't have time to eat carbs before a workout, eat a small piece of candy for the sugar. When you first start working out your body uses sugars for energy, if you don't have them you'll sluggish.

Make sure your eating at least 1 nice serving of fresh greens for either lunch or dinner, not cooked. It really helps to regulate your digestive system.

As for your calorie intake, if you don't have a fight coming up, that 1755 is actually quite low for someone your size and activity level. It's no wonder you don't feel like running. Your body is most Likely burning muscle instead of fat when you run.

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post
              Donuts as a post work out meal and you're losing weight, I'm assuming you're still young.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
              Nah, not too young. Plus, I don't have the genes to get away with eating anything unhealthy. Honestly, it sucks that other people can eat whatever they feel like and still stay skinny. But, it motivates me more and it helps me eat super healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                Usually I will try and eat oatmeal apple flavored for breakfast and before working out fruits of some kind, bananas like 3 of them as a general rule but for me it never mattered too much how I arranged the meals.

I see gains and feel stronger when I am just eating alot and making sure to take weight gainers with whole milk. I am 5'11 a good fit 195lbs and can get to a solid low 200s if I take in 4000 calories or so a day. I train 4 days a week but then again I rarely ever drive and walk most of the time which certainly is a contributor to me needing to eat so much.
                Oh, okay. Yeah, but you are trying to gain weight, right? I am going in the opposite direction and just trying to strip down to nothing. I always thought weight lifters should run everyday, too. For definition. But, I don't know anything about lifting weights, so. Also, I feel like people who are weight lifters don't really eat healthy. So, if they combined the weights, running, and healthy diet, it would be crazy. The thing is, I understand gaining mass is important, but a healthy diet can still provide huge amounts of calories, if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                  I don't know what your eating for carbs and sugars but to me it sounds like you might lacking in them. If your a athlete, you need carbs, you just need to cut them down as fight time approaches.

If you don't have time to eat carbs before a workout, eat a small piece of candy for the sugar. When you first start working out your body uses sugars for energy, if you don't have them you'll sluggish.

Make sure your eating at least 1 nice serving of fresh greens for either lunch or dinner, not cooked. It really helps to regulate your digestive system.

As for your calorie intake, if you don't have a fight coming up, that 1755 is actually quite low for someone your size and activity level. It's no wonder you don't feel like running. Your body is most Likely burning muscle instead of fat when you run.
                  Well, I am taking in a good amount of carbs, maybe 175 g. per day, it's just that my meal before runs was too heavy in protein and fiber. Now, I started eating 150 g. of pineapple maybe an hour before run, and I feel great. The heavy meals get eaten maybe 3-4 hours before run. In terms of greens, I have a raw veggie shake with spinach, broccoli, parsley, tomato, celery, carrot, and strawberries. This veggie shake is my favorite meal of the day, since it makes me feel great. As far as calorie intake, 1700 is with the purpose of losing weight faster, but I understand I need to feel good in order to work out hard. This diet was similar to when I was weighing 150 lbs. and training for fights. I understand I am heavier now, and perhaps I need more calories. But, my body feels good at the moment.

Honestly, I just want to start breaking through in terms of workout intensity. With running, I would like to hit 4 miles per day soon, while 5 per day is the goal. With boxing, I will ask for sparring once I hit 170 lbs., which I anticipate will be by next Saturday. But, I was weighing 192 on April 26 and weighed 174 yesterday. My training was rusty, since I did not have any kind of conditioning. However, I am feeling stronger and running & boxing harder now. So, the conditioning is coming along. I am trying to reach my 150-154 goal 7 weeks from now.

Comment

Nice sounds like your taking it seriously, and have it pretty well thought out.

You should add more sprints twice a week instead of long distance running, especially up hill sprints, that builds your whole body up and will teach your body how to recover when you deplete your oxygen.

Another tip, is I'd recommend adding some cottage cheese to your diet, right before you go to sleep. It's a great cheap slow absorbing protein, that will keep your metabolism moving, and help to keep you from burning muscle while you sleep.

Comment

Working...
                    X