Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 10-08-2018, 11:31 AM #11
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 257,408,480,545,798,300,368,896.00
Total Points: 257,408,480,545,898,359,685,120.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
To wipe that ass lol - BigZ44 Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
Are we still having this conversation in 2018?? FFS.

Yes, heavy weight, low rep, once or twice a week. Eg: 5x5 reps of squat, bench and deadlifts.
We're still having this conversation because weights went from being bad for boxing...to being seen by some as a superior training method for boxing...to some of us pointing out that they aren't necessary at all for boxing.

There's levels of nuance and understanding that get fleshed out with this discussion over the years.
ShoulderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 PM #12
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
AlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexKid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 100,000,004,390,659.02
for being a true ambassador in the training forum - jas Winning hearts/minds of the Loungers - BostonGuy AlexKid is good boy - Willy Wanker WAR Alex da kid! - Hi Rudyo! Lounge MVP - Ruthless One 
Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! King Lounge poster - ,GGG The king of comedy - Polarbear XdXdXddddd - Santa_ Its a parallelogram....enjoy it - Spray_resistant 

Quote:

Yes, heavy weight, low rep, once or twice a week. Eg: 5x5 reps of squat, bench and deadlifts.
5 is still he hypertrophy range , 3 or less

Going with the old school way of training is more likely to produce a better fighter simply because its so simple and effective to do.

dOING WEIGHT AND RESISTANCE TRAINING CAN BE SUPERIOR TO OLD SCHOOL TRAINING BUT ONLY IF ITS DONE PROPERLY AND THERE ARE ALOT OF REALLY LOUSILY TRAINED ATHLETES THAT ARE CARRYING AROUND TOO MUCH EXTRA BULK THAT DOES NOTHING FOR THEIR POWER AND ONLY HURTS THEIR ENDURANCE MAKING THEM LESS EFFECTIVE THAN HAD THEY JUST TRAINED THE OLD SCHOOL WAY

SEE CALZAGGE VS LACY
AlexKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:45 PM #13
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Zaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond reputeZaryu has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 50,000,000,009,999,996,682,240.00

Im not a professional on this, and ultimately you should listen to educated people on this matter. However, from what I understand, and based on some personal experience, strength training using weights is very beneficial for fighters.

Almost always what you hear is people concluding that lifting weights = bodybuilding. And that's just not true. The other one I hear a lot is the argument of how it's not going to make you faster, hit harder, etc. And although those assertions can be debated, I think one of the most understated benefits is the one that should be the most obvious which is strength!

Strength is useful in a fight, on the clinch, in your ability to not be easily pushed back, your ability to push a fighter back, taking punishment, and if you're strong enough, your opponent is also more likely to tire if you're stronger than what he may be used to dealing with.

Strength training, when done right, i.e. not bodybuilding, will not adversely affect your speed, power, stamina or skills.
Zaryu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:40 AM #14
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3703 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,549,313.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKid View Post
5 is still he hypertrophy range , 3 or less

Going with the old school way of training is more likely to produce a better fighter simply because its so simple and effective to do.

dOING WEIGHT AND RESISTANCE TRAINING CAN BE SUPERIOR TO OLD SCHOOL TRAINING BUT ONLY IF ITS DONE PROPERLY AND THERE ARE ALOT OF REALLY LOUSILY TRAINED ATHLETES THAT ARE CARRYING AROUND TOO MUCH EXTRA BULK THAT DOES NOTHING FOR THEIR POWER AND ONLY HURTS THEIR ENDURANCE MAKING THEM LESS EFFECTIVE THAN HAD THEY JUST TRAINED THE OLD SCHOOL WAY

SEE CALZAGGE VS LACY
^^^^^ Agree with this.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:59 AM #15
Contender

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
PhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond reputePhilPhilly has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,000,000,012,582.88

Quote:

its as simple as this.
if you have 2 evenly matched fighters, the stronger/quicker fighter will win.

The problems and stigma concerning weights is when its done in excess, you are not a body builder.
It does wonders for power, strength and explosiveness when incorporated correctly.

I haven't done weights in years as I was focusing on speed and technique, I definitely miss the umph and power that it gave.

Stick to compound weights, and rep ranges of 1-5
PhilPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:14 PM #16
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4708 Post(s)
Boxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxfan83 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,000,001,451,675,648.00
Cheers brother! - Redd Foxx No Message - DionysusX Good poster. Keep it up. - 1bad65 Cheers, bruh!! - Tony Trick-Pony Good threads lately. - GhostofDempsey 

I prefer HIIT calisthenics for strength and conditioning. You can add weights like a weighted vest, wrist & ankle weights to the work out as you get stronger. Typically if I add weight to my calisthenics the next day I will take the weight out and just do more reps!

Check out my thread on Modified Burpees! Ive been doing them for about 2.5 months now 45mins 6days a week. My muscles look as big as when I was lifting a lot and my stamina is still where it was when I was avidly running.
Boxfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:19 PM #17
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
abracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,000,083,575.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchillesFury View Post
I don't know what to believe. I read different articles on Google that have different opinion on it, some saying its good thing if done right some say its a bad as well. Can you please clarify the right answer, thanks in advance.
All pro’s do weights.
abracada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:11 AM #18
No More UK Stoppages

Quoted: 10143 Post(s)
ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 257,408,480,545,798,300,368,896.00
Total Points: 257,408,480,545,898,359,685,120.00
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas Thanks for the green man,I should have won poster of the year,but the site is in denial.bitches huh ? - Scott-Weiland All in .&amp;w - BERNIE'S CORNER Phone spazzed on gift giving. Can't green ya but have this beer on me. All in good fun ! - BERNIE'S CORNER Easily one of the best posters on the forum - JK1700 
To wipe that ass lol - BigZ44 Good thread and comments - maracho A truce - lfc19titles A truce - lfc19titles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracada View Post
All pro’s do weights.
Not true. There have been many boxers, past and current, who didn't lift weights.

Carl Froch is just one example out of many.
ShoulderRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:16 AM #19
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 7213 Post(s)
GGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond reputeGGG Gloveking has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 50,000,100,000,000,003,538,944.00
:beerchug: - -jose- Keep up the good posts, brother... - anthonydavid11 Smart man - Thraxox One of the good posters here - 1bad65 Great post as usual, Glove Mf'in Kang! - Tony Trick-Pony 
You are the man, without question - Tony Trick-Pony 

Quote:

High weight, low reps? I would say the opposite. Lower weights and higher reps, for muscular toning rather than high weights low reps, which is typically done for bulking
GGG Gloveking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:15 PM #20
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
abracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond reputeabracada has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,000,083,575.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
Not true. There have been many boxers, past and current, who didn't lift weights.

Carl Froch is just one example out of many.
Just googled it and Froch did a shed load of resistance training and weights.
abracada is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxers, fighters, general, lift, weights?

User Tag List