Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 10-05-2018, 04:16 AM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
gbom45 is on a distinguished road
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 440.57
Default 16 oz gloves

First of all, hello guys. my first post!

So, i have signed up for a charity boxing even where i'll box 3 x 2 minute rounds. As a huge boxing fan i have wanted to do this for years and finaly taken the plunge.

All sparing and the fight itself is to be in 16 oz gloves. I recently bought a pair and i have been doing rounds on the heavy bag. my issue / concern is that due to the size of the gloves, it's impossible to form a proper fist and it feels like my thumb is in an awkward position and any mis timed / blocked shot could potentially jar the thumb?? is this a common thing or is a glove fit issue?
gbom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-05-2018, 10:34 AM #2
Interim Champion

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
N!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond reputeN!Ck F. has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 100,000,021,904.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbom45 View Post
First of all, hello guys. my first post!

So, i have signed up for a charity boxing even where i'll box 3 x 2 minute rounds. As a huge boxing fan i have wanted to do this for years and finaly taken the plunge.

All sparing and the fight itself is to be in 16 oz gloves. I recently bought a pair and i have been doing rounds on the heavy bag. my issue / concern is that due to the size of the gloves, it's impossible to form a proper fist and it feels like my thumb is in an awkward position and any mis timed / blocked shot could potentially jar the thumb?? is this a common thing or is a glove fit issue?
Normal especially if you donít have huge hands. Wrap hands properly & youll be fine.
N!Ck F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:38 PM #3
Contender

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
WonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeWonderMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 12,053.30

Also, which gloves do you have?
WonderMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:42 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
OCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond reputeOCPancho has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 50,000,000,000,999,993,376,768.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Also, which gloves do you have?
Yup, they vary size and weight from brand to brand .
Casanova are huge.
OCPancho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,549,983.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPancho View Post
Yup, they vary size and weight from brand to brand .
Casanova are huge.
Ive had a few that were too big, and I downsized to make a better fist
OctoberRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:02 AM #6
Hittin' the heavy bag.

Quoted: 11202 Post(s)
Redd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond reputeRedd Foxx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,675,172,771,199,066,112.00
Total Points: 6,705,172,771,198,818,304.00
Happy New Year - Freedom. Merry Christmas and All The Best for 2015 - Freedom. Buy another heavy bag, dog. - punchr Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. No Message - stephenmc 
Cheers to a great poster - Sergey Kovalev Even though I often disagree with you, I still enjoy reading your posts.  Here's a beer. - j0zef sit on this, man. it will relax you. best wishes, punchr - punchr No Message - Scott. Weiland Great post, man. - anthonydavid11 
Red's all about quality! - BoxingFan85 No Message - Scott. Weiland Peace out, brother, I was just clowning around. - !! Anorak Happy Easter and sh*t. - DionysusX Cheers! - anthonydavid11 
One Champion. One Face. One Name. - Deontay Wilder LOL - Tony Trick-Pony 

Gloves all fit differently. I tried a lot before finding some that allowed me to make a proper fist that wasn't making the middle digits of my fingers bang the target.
If you get wrapped by a coach, make them aware of the issue and ask them to wrap with some folds over the knuckles at the beginning of the wrap, and then less material crossing between the fingers and over the palm.
Redd Foxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:08 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3710 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,000,000,000,549,983.00
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Foxx View Post
Gloves all fit differently. I tried a lot before finding some that allowed me to make a proper fist that wasn't making the middle digits of my fingers bang the target.
If you get wrapped by a coach, make them aware of the issue and ask them to wrap with some folds over the knuckles at the beginning of the wrap, and then less material crossing between the fingers and over the palm.
I do what Abel Sanchez refers to as stacking
OctoberRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
gloves

User Tag List