No announcement yet.

calzaghe ducked jones? myth busted.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calzaghe ducked jones? myth busted.

Calzaghe's confession to an aversion to travel, and concerns about a future match with the brilliant Roy Jones Jnr, confirms he has a grip on reality.

"I could probably give Jones a tough fight, probably the best fight he's ever had," said Calzaghe. "But I know my capabilities and unless I got paid the crown jewels I wouldn't want to risk it."

There's honesty for you.

- Joe Calzaghe, 2003 >> https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/i-a...e-6352495.html

- Joe Calzaghe, "No Ordinary Joe: The Autobiography of the Greatest British Boxer of Our Time" (2007).

Antonio Tarver TKO2 Roy Jones Jr, 15/05/2004
    Glen Johnson KO9 Roy Jones Jr, 25/09/2004
    [FOUR YEAR GAP]
    Joe Calzaghe v Roy Jones Jr, 18/11/2008

if Jones was "shot" in 2004 (by Joe's own admission) what was he in 2008?

verdict: Calzaghe gets ZERO credit for beating Jones. NONE. NADA.

obvious mistake on the heading lol.. its supposed to be "jones ducked calzaghe? myth busted".

Comment

Calzaghe was being modest and at times he underestimated his own ability. In his book he talks about his own nerves about fighting lacy and self doubt. Thats why enzo was such an important figure in the corner. Joes track record shows that he took hard fights when it came down to it.

Comment

I don't think there was ever a serious discussion. Calzaghe was fighting exclusively in Britain making 168 and Jones wasn't open to leaving America. Hopkins ducked him though. Had a great payday and deal from Showtime getting the type of figures he was asking for and pulled out last minute. He did the same to Toney as well and ducked Jones with his 50/50 demand too.

Comment

he was being accurate - thats why he waited till jones was shot before facing him.

I expect he thought Hopkins was shot too, but he cut that one a bit fine!

Comment

Jones and Calzaghe were both great and fought top competition. Neither was a ducker. You can't fight every good fighter your weight no matter how good and fearless you are. You are bound to miss a few good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
              Calzaghe was being modest and at times he underestimated his own ability. In his book he talks about his own nerves about fighting lacy and self doubt. Thats why enzo was such an important figure in the corner. Joes track record shows that he took hard fights when it came down to it.
              He fought 3 fighters ranked in the Top 5 in his entire career.

Comment

Working...
              X