No announcement yet.

A.I. will eliminate 130,000 Federal jobs in the next 2 decades

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] A.I. will eliminate 130,000 Federal jobs in the next 2 decades

The industrialized world’s future may hang on mankind’s ability to answer a single, deeply disturbing question–if thinking machines do most of the work, what do humans do? It is a problem without an obvious solution.

What is known for sure and confirmed by dozens of research studies and real-life experiences is that the widespread adoption of artificial intelligence and machine learning over the next few decades will have a profound and disruptive effect on workers in every industry around the world.

A new report titled “More Than Meets AI: Assessing the Impact of Artificial Intelligence on the Work of Government” from The Partnership for Public Service, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that works to revitalize the federal government and the IBM Center for The Business of Government, sees difficult times ahead for government workers as well as AI takes root. From the report:

“AI is sure to change the composition of the federal workforce, creating new jobs related to managing AI systems or requiring critical thinking. Jobs based mainly on tasks that can be automated would likely be phased out, and employees would have to learn new or different skills for other jobs.

“Jobs based mainly on tasks that can be automated will likely be phased out, and employees would have to learn new or different skills for other jobs in order survive.

Just how disruptive will AI be to federal workers?
    The analysis found more than 80 different federal occupations for which data shows there is substantial opportunity for job automation. More than 130,000 U.S. federal employees worked in these occupations in fiscal 2017, holding a wide-range of responsibilities from examining taxes and inspecting food to scheduling cargo and operating cranes. Multiply those numbers by the government workforce of major countries around the world and you’re talking about millions of people whose jobs and lives will be greatly disrupted in the coming few decades. According to the report:

Ten or 20 years from now, a federal workday is likely to unfold differently than a workday today. An AI transformation is expected to start with the automation of repetitive tasks, freeing up employees’ time to focus on mission-critical work. In the long term, however, AI will change the nature of jobs and how humans work alongside machines.

The report notes that the changes brought on by AI will not be the first substantial disruption of the federal workforce. In 1985, 19 percent of full-time federal employees held clerical positions. In 2017, they constituted just 4.3 percent in the workforce, according to Office of Personnel Management data. During those years, desktop computers and other technologies automated many clerical tasks, and new employees were hired to deliver programs in newly created agencies such as the Department of Homeland Security.

Based on that experience, whatever changes AI brings will not be immediate but an evolution that will play out over years and decades. Still, the report suggests that leaders and managers should begin preparing their employees now for the inevitable changes to come:

Leaders should communicate with employees early and often about the potential of AI to disrupt and alter their work. Leaders and managers should learn from early adopters of AI, such as the U.S. Coast Guard, NASA and the Department of Health and Human Services.

They should find out the extent to which the workday changed for employees, what types of agency work AI helped these organizations accomplish, which tasks were automated successfully, and what kind of work employees might start doing in place of current, repetitive tasks that AI could perform.

What jobs are likely to be most impacted?
    Some agencies are more likely than others to be significantly impacted by AI in the near-term future. The research shows that more than a third of the Treasury Department’s staff (36%) are in occupations that would be affected by technology. The Government Publishing Office (28%) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (22%) also have considerable room to use AI in select occupations.

My Take
    Like all the industry-friendly studies and optimistic pronouncements you see these days about the impact of AI on lower skilled workers, this one is filled with cheerful prattle about how AI will allow machines to handle routine jobs and allow people to perform more meaningful and interesting work, spend more time working directly with customers, perform other mission-related tasks and even learn new skills related to managing AI systems or requiring critical thinking. Another recommendation of the report:

Federal employees should receive training that emphasizes skills for handling interactions with agency customers with the help of AI. “Social literacy” entails skills such as active listening, communication, critical thinking, negotiation, persuasion, reading comprehension and writing. These skills will become more important as employees are able to spend more time with customers.

At the moment, there is no cross-agency strategy or plan to retrain those workers whose jobs are at risk to AI to provide them with the technical, digital and data literacy they will need to survive. Although it’s not specifically mentioned in the text—I suspect deliberately—there is a chart that shows more than half of the at-risk workers are over 50. This is a predictable and possibly avoidable human tragedy in the making.

https://government.diginomica.com/20...t-two-decades/

Government workers are useless

Comment

Many government employees are nothing more than glorified welfare recipients.

I know for a fact that for at least some government jobs, technically one is not even required to work, they only have to show up. In other words, as long as they show up to work on time and don't leave early, they cannot be fired for not doing any work.

It's also very difficult to fired for anything. A friend of mine is an IT worker for the New York Unified Court System. A coworker of his smashed another coworker's face into a keyboard and all he got was a demotion. If a supervisor threw someone out of a window, they'd probably just make him the janitor or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post

I know for a fact that for at least some government jobs, technically one is not even required to work, they only have to show up. In other words, as long as they show up to work on time and don't leave early, they cannot be fired for not doing any work.

It's also very difficult to fired for anything. A friend of mine is an IT worker for the New York Unified Court System. A coworker of his smashed another coworker's face into a keyboard and all he got was a demotion. If a supervisor threw someone out of a window, they'd probably just make him the janitor or something.
        Damn, they have had luck with their lives, then. Every single job I've had has taxed me both mentally and physically.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
          Government workers are useless
          Only if you knew half of what we do or prevent from happening I bet youd change your mind.

Comment

Machines taking human jobs and what that could mean for the human race is a far bigger worry /potential disaster then climate change or any other "crisis" the media likes to over blow

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post

Just because you know 1 lazy person or of 1 incident doesnt mean you know the entire system. & your keyboard smashing story either lacks or has added detail. Because I dont know of any agency that would allow such hostility in the workplace. Besides thats assault with a deadly weapon, that person that did the smashing shouldve been arrested and placed on some kind of administrative leave pending charges.

And regardless of what you think, I take big offense to you calling government workers "welfare recipients." I dont know of any welfare recipient that wakes up at 0445 to commute to work 45mins daily and pays taxes. Are there lazy people in the government? Sure! But I bet my left nut I can go to any corporation in the USA and find a lazy ass there too thats riding the wave somehow because they know or are blowing someone.

What I noticed about this sudden hate of government workers is it comes from the same group. That group ultimately doesnt like that the government has a fair hiring practice. That group cant stand that a brown or black face is the 1 answering their questions or concerns. Its no wonder words like 'Lazy" & "welfare recipient" is thrown around when referring to us. That same group would call us that if we werent working and using the system to survive. We are damned if we do damned if we dont.

Also its that same group thats all of a sudden against education that cant stand that it requires a Bachelors degree for the most basic of Government work. That group of so called "Patriots" should realize most of us "lazy/welfare recipients" served this country (about 35-40% Federal workers are Vets) and continue to do so. Sorry if its not at the pace youd like but name a Government in this world that works harder or does more for their people? Hell, government employees are even required to take care of non USA citizens (not by choice) but we are stuck working and doing whatever political agenda our Agency head falls under.
              Last edited by WarVeteranO01; 03-07-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Short answer

No it wont

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  Just because you know 1 lazy person or of 1 incident doesnt mean you know the entire system. & your keyboard smashing story either lacks or has added detail. Because I dont know of any agency that would allow such hostility in the workplace. Besides thats assault with a deadly weapon, that person that did the smashing shouldve been arrested and placed on some kind of administrative leave pending charges.

And regardless of what you think, I take big offense to you calling government workers "welfare recipients." I dont know of any welfare recipient that wakes up at 0445 to commute to work 45mins daily and pays taxes. Are there lazy people in the government? Sure! But I bet my left nut I can go to any corporation in the USA and find a lazy ass there too thats riding the wave somehow because they know or are blowing someone.

What I noticed about this sudden hate of government workers is it comes from the same group. That group ultimately doesnt like that the government has a fair hiring practice. That group cant stand that a brown or black face is the 1 answering their questions or concerns. Its no wonder words like 'Lazy" & "welfare recipient" is thrown around when referring to us. That same group would call us that if we werent working and using the system to survive. We are damned if we do damned if we dont.

Also its that same group thats all of a sudden against education that cant stand that it requires a Bachelors degree for the most basic of Government work. That group of so called "Patriots" should realize most of us "lazy/welfare recipients" served this country (about 35-40% Federal workers are Vets) and continue to do so. Sorry if its not at the pace youd like but name a Government in this world that works harder or does more for their people? Hell, government employees are even required to take care of non USA citizens (not by choice) but we are stuck working and doing whatever political agenda our Agency head falls under.

That may be one example but spare me. It's well known that many government workers are lazier than rugs on valium, there are countless scandals where they've been caught loafing around at the tax payers expense.

Second, this hate is hardly "sudden".

Third, if you're trying to paint me as a racist, you are way off.

Comment

I thought was about Allen Iverson.

Anyways, the government is always last to the show. We will all be homeless and jobless before the government joins in on the efficiency movement.

Comment

Working...
                    X