Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the Duran over Leonard win at the first fight.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is the Duran over Leonard win at the first fight.....

Be the greatest win in the history of boxing?

Duran, a natural lightweight as tall as Pacquiao. Went up in 2 weight division as 74 fight veteran past his best days to face Sugar Ray Leonard at 25 years old. At his prime weight, at his strongest at his fastest, and at his most confident moment while being naturally bigger by 8-12 pounds and was 4 inches taller while revered to as one of the Top 5 greatest fighter of all time.

I think "No Mas" is the more accurate, memorable, and historically relevant fight.

Comment

I wouldn't say so, because while Duran fought to the best of his abilities utilizing his strengths, Leonard didn't. The brawler brawled, but the boxer decided to brawl!? If Duran beat the Leonard who boxes then I would agree with you. I like it when outcomes are determined when both fighters are at the top of their game.

Comment

No I do not believe so.. think the biggest win was Louis vs Schmelling II. It was during ww2...

Comment

Originally posted by Oluminati View Post
          I wouldn't say so, because while Duran fought to the best of his abilities utilizing his strengths, Leonard didn't. The brawler brawled, but the boxer decided to brawl!? If Duran beat the Leonard who boxes then I would agree with you. I like it when outcomes are determined when both fighters are at the top of their game.
          This bull**** has gotta die at some point. Leonard fought as he always did during the first Duran fight. He changed things up and chose not to engage and instead tried to win on points in the rematch.

NEITHER of these fighters are brawlers, they're both boxer punchers. Duran just excels on the inside compared to Leonard. He managed to work his way inside and get the better work.

Comment

Originally posted by brown_knight06 View Post
            No I do not believe so.. think the biggest win was Louis vs Schmelling II. It was during ww2...
            You don't even have to go back that far. Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson made the national news on the same day Nelson Mandela was released from prison.

Comment

Originally posted by KayDub View Post
              This bull**** has gotta die at some point. Leonard fought as he always did during the first Duran fight. He changed things up and chose not to engage and instead tried to win on points in the rematch.

NEITHER of these fighters are brawlers, they're both boxer punchers. Duran just excels on the inside compared to Leonard. He managed to work his way inside and get the better work.
              Ok. The fight was fought mainly on the inside, right? Duran was better on the inside and wasn't Leonard better on the outside? Or are you saying Leonard developed his outside boxing superiority after the Duran loss and then utilized it to beat him in the rematch?

Comment

Ok. The fight was fought mainly on the inside, right? Duran was better on the inside and wasn't Leonard better on the outside? Or are you saying Leonard developed his outside boxing superiority after the Duran loss and then utilized it to beat him in the rematch?
                Meaning Duran forced Leonard to fight and brawl. And then in the rematch Leonard decides that his fighting style as a boxer puncher is not enough and solely trained on winning by points.

Comment

And also guys the thread isn't about the biggest win that becomes national news. But rather solely the basis on enhancing the value of a resume. Neither Tyson nor Schmeling was (prime Tyson aside) was as great as Prime Leonard.

Comment

I don't buy this account of the rivalry.

Leonard fought very similarly in both fights. One of the big differences though was that Duran hurt Leonard early in the first fight and he didn't quite recover after that.

A bigger factor though is that Duran couldn't give a **** in the second fight. People forget that before he quit the fight was actually pretty close. It certainly wasn't the one sided schooling that people now seem to remember it for.

Comment

Working...
                    X