Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's how 225 pound, modern day HW Ray Mercer would've stopped 210 pound 1966 Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's how 225 pound, modern day HW Ray Mercer would've stopped 210 pound 1966 Ali

Mercer would ceaselessly appeal to the city to put stop signs at the end of Ali's street thus forcing him to stop every time Ali would operate his motor vehicle.

In this fight, I envision a shutout with Ali winning the vast majority of rounds as Ali would have no problem finding Mercer who would be a virtual punching bag. The rounds Mercer may win would be more of a case of Ali losing them than Mercer winning them. That is, Ali may get lazy and give a few rounds away. Or perhaps, a late round TKO if Mercer's face becomes very swollen.

Does anyone see it differently or perhaps can make a case for Mercer stopping prime Ali?

Here is how I see it, Ali cuts Mercer up bad. I have a merciless Ray Mercer hat that I bought when he lost a close fight vs Holyfield.
    I think Ray would never be able to cut the ring off , thus leaving Ali on the outside landing fast jabs to the head and body all night long. Then it will be 1-2 all night. Not a great style fight for Mercer
    Rays jab was good himself and his jaw is second to none, I just see him tiring badly in the championship rounds and getting stopped in 12-13

Comment

Didn't a very ancient Larry Holmes easily box Ray's ears off using a lot of young Clay's style in that fight? Lol.

Comment

Lazy Ray will be practically as easy for Ali as lazy Mike Weaver would have been.

Comment

Perhaps if Ray can offer Ali money to let him win during the fight.(ala Jessie Ferguson)

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
            Didn't a very ancient Larry Holmes easily box Ray's ears off using a lot of young Clay's style in that fight? Lol.
            Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Perhaps if Ray can offer Ali money to let him win during the fight.(ala Jessie Ferguson)
            1966 ali's footwork alone would make mercer look like a ******, ray's best chance is to offer ali money to at least make the fight look competitive

Comment

Ray was a nothing. Ali a top 2 ATG. At Alis best Ray does not win a round.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                I suppose so.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  If I owned a time machine and could set up a fight between prime Ali and Ray Mercer and Mercer defied all odds and won.....a fix would be the first thing that comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                    1966 ali's footwork alone would make mercer look like a ******, ray's best chance is to offer ali money to at least make the fight look competitive
                    Yeah this would probably resemble Larry Holmes vs Tex Cobb in it's one sidedness.

Comment

Working...
                    X