No announcement yet.

Isn't Limey a derogatory term?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ianjamsie View Post
    Pretty difficult to insult us without resorting to sexual sware words.
    Like ****?

Comment

Hey, Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavernebarker View Post
        Hey, Congrats.

Comment

No term is inherently derogatory.

If people hate you and want to harm you then they make the term derogatory, which is why you look at the world's most backwards cultures and notice: You have to come up with a new name for them every 20 years because they declare the last one (that they came up with) to be a slur so they can weaponize it against outsiders.

On the other hand you can veer dangerously in the opposite extreme and be overly tolerant... IE the British are willing to fight for nothing and no longer hold their own ancient homeland, are called anything at any time and treated like *****es by their new colonial masters in broad daylight.

You have to be somewhere in the middle of British (voluntary extinction/inability to protect your daughters) and third-world (invent a name for yourselves monday and by thursday declare it a slur and use it as a justification to savagely beat anyone who uses it).

Comment

Comment

TBH if you’re ethnically English is impossible to be insulted by being called English, whatever the term.... because England has achieved so much in every spectrum you choose (science, literature, industry, finance, medicine, war, conquest etc etc) from a tiny island, that we can stand tall, smile proudly and patronisingly at any insult and walk off laughing. It’s only cultures that have achieved little who are butthurt when someone insults their people, country or race.... and they’re the most ‘proud’ of their social group and shout loudest about their pathetic ‘accomplishments’..... and that’s the truth. Call an Englishman a ‘gammon’ ‘*******’ ‘colonialist’ ‘limey’ ‘pommy’ whatever - it will have no effect. Because we’ll always be superior to your group and as soon as we express an ethnic insult your way you’ll go mad. It’s literally impossible to upset an Englishman by trying to insult their ethnic / national background. PS I not ‘proud’ to be English or anything else. But we’re just superior to whatever you are :-) ;-)

Comment

Comment

Its so popular with Aussie's. It kind of grates on me when an Aussie says it but its swings and roundabouts because I call them Criminals.

Its all in good banter though.

Comment

Originally posted by extracurRICular View Post
                    So where are you "limeys" from? where ya'll at??
                    I think it depends on the person. Some may find the term "limey" offensive others no. As for myself I dont care .Albeit Iam half Latino half English😉

Comment

We don't care, we're not snowflakes. We often refer to Americans as Yanks and other nicknames for other countries, so we can hardly complain when other countries create a name for us

Comment

Working...
                      X