Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Current Fighters Can Pull A Roy Jones and Win a Heavyweight Title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Current Fighters Can Pull A Roy Jones and Win a Heavyweight Title?

With Charles Martin as the champion, the opportunity is golden. I was thinking Kovalev, Ward, Stevenson and Beterbiev can all challenge Charles Martin. What other possibilities?
    Sergey Kovalev
    27.78%
    Andre Ward
    8.33%
    Adonis Stevenson
    5.56%
    Artur Beterbeiv
    5.56%
    Krzysztof Glowacki
    5.56%
    Oleksandr Usyk
    33.33%
    Grigory Drozd
    11.11%
    Amir Khan
    2.78%

I don't think Ward wants to do that. Kovalev isn't that big. If Beterbiev is the truth, he's ****ing massive for a LHW and I could see him beating up some terrible HW beltholder.

Comment

ALl of them other than Khan would beat Charles F-cking Martin.

Comment

PBP it would be nice to see a smaller man pick up the belt but in this day and age I'm not sure if it's possible. Does Charles Martin really suck that much? I need to see more against elite opposition before i pass judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
          PBP it would be nice to see a smaller man pick up the belt but in this day and age I'm not sure if it's possible. Does Charles Martin really suck that much? I need to see more against elite opposition before i pass judgement.
          I wonder that too. Roy Jones had sick reflexes and timing and fought exclusively on the outside. Andre Ward relies on physical strength and does most of his work inside which I can't see being effective against a heavyweight. With Kovalev and Beterbiev it's a matter of how well they can put on the weight and carry their power up but even then I question whether they can take a punch from a 6'5 heavyweight like Martin.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks whilst terribly unproven that Charles Martin doesn't even look 'that bad'? I've seen a lot worse that is for sure.

Comment

Kovalev and Beterbiev could beat the chump

Ward doesn't have the power to get Martin's respect and Stevenson doesn't have the required chin

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                I wonder that too. Roy Jones had sick reflexes and timing and fought exclusively on the outside. Andre Ward relies on physical strength and does most of his work inside which I can't see being effective against a heavyweight. With Kovalev and Beterbiev it's a matter of how well they can put on the weight and carry their power up but even then I question whether they can take a punch from a 6'5 heavyweight like Martin.
                And in John Ruiz he was some what tailor made for RJJ, and as you said his reflexes and athleticism where top notch. Your final question sums up how I feel also. Can a smaller Boxer withstand a full on punch from these giants.

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                Am I the only one who thinks whilst terribly unproven that Charles Martin doesn't even look 'that bad'? I've seen a lot worse that is for sure.
                I'm with you on that one. He started tentatively vs Glazkov but displayed a little skill. He seemed to have a good grasp of his distance and as a result was landing his straight cross at will until Glazkov done his 'ACL'.

Comment

Was gonna vote and then I caught myself...

Say what you want but "Prince" Charles Martin is a 6'5, 240lb, 80" reach, southpaw heavyweight with pop. good luck.

None of the guys mentioned, sans the weight cut, even get to being the size of "Czar" Glazkov, and he was simply overwhelmed by the size, for comparison's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    Say what you want but "Prince" Charles Martin is a 6'5, 240lb, 80" reach, southpaw heavyweight with pop. good luck.

None of the guys mentioned, sans the weight cut, even get to being the size of "Czar" Glazkov, and he was simply overwhelmed by the size, for comparison's sake.
                    Usyk is 6'3 with a 78 inch reach. I expect him to compete for a heavyweight title at some point in his career.

Comment

Working...
                    X