No announcement yet.

Shoulder pain from bag work ??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder pain from bag work ??

Hello guys , anyone get like a dull ache inside the shoulder after continued day in day out heavy bag work ?
    Recently had pilled on a a couple of stone so got back In to my running/cadio and bag work ,I usually jump on the heavy bag 3 times a week for 4 rounds after I've ran a 5 miler on a treadmill,im running 5 days a week weight down by near 3 st since Christmas ,so more than happy , just been suffering lately with this poxy dull ache in my shoulder cap...its more annoying than painful ....im 45 so no spring chicken , but never had this type of ache before even

Could be a muscular imbalance. I had an irritated rotator cuff recently and my PT coach had me do a lot of retraction exercises (rows, pull-ups, etc) which made it go away.
    First thing would be to stop what you're doing until it heals up. Maybe just work on slow, low-impact bag work, like just working on your form.
    Speaking of form, there very well could be something in your form. A lot of people just punch wrong and your body is less tolerant of that in your 40's. If you can upload a vid of bag work people here can give you feedback about your form.

Comment

Welcome to middle age, amigo. I'm 55 and stuff just starts to hurt. Like Redd said take a rest and ice it down a few times a day. Ice works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by CiganoBoxer View Post
        Hello guys , anyone get like a dull ache inside the shoulder after continued day in day out heavy bag work ?
        Recently had pilled on a a couple of stone so got back In to my running/cadio and bag work ,I usually jump on the heavy bag 3 times a week for 4 rounds after I've ran a 5 miler on a treadmill,im running 5 days a week weight down by near 3 st since Christmas ,so more than happy , just been suffering lately with this poxy dull ache in my shoulder cap...its more annoying than painful ....im 45 so no spring chicken , but never had this type of ache before even

Find a lighter bag. And suck it up. Is it pain or is this an injury situation?……….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by CiganoBoxer View Post
          My opinion is, if it hurts, reduce or eliminate the activity that's hurting it as much as possible. Give it an excuse to work on your other side or other punches perhaps. Green Mussel powder, MSM powder may help but ultimately you need to rest whatever is causing the pain. Work on your other side's punches or maybe even get a thai bag and **** with some kicks. Develop hard kicks and it will help your punching game, I've found it all comes from the core, getting coordinated with kicking benefits your boxing, maybe throw a day of kick stuff in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior Scholar View Post
            My opinion is, if it hurts, reduce or eliminate the activity that's hurting it as much as possible.
            Yet for some reason you chose boxing? That's comical! …….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              Yet for some reason you chose boxing? That's comical! …….Rockin'
              we don’t choose, boss. If we could choose, I wouldn’t have chose boxing. We don’t pick what we respect

Comment

Could be tendinitis. With age comes more injuries and a longer healing period. I will be 55 in december. I can no longer hit the bag as often as I used to. I still do my pushups and other calisthenics but my dumbell workouts consist of a maximum of 25's and most times 20's. It sucks but toning workouts are better for older individuals. It is what it is. The key is to stay active. Keep the weight off!

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior Scholar View Post
                  we don’t choose, boss. If we could choose, I wouldn’t have chose boxing. We don’t pick what we respect

Could you say that again? Except this time simplify your words. I had trouble following the above statement. I chose boxing, paid my $10 and started learning. "We don’t pick what we respect", I don't understand......Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                    Could you say that again? Except this time simplify your words. I had trouble following the above statement. I chose boxing, paid my $10 and started learning. "We don’t pick what we respect", I don't understand......Rockin'
                    I respect stuff based on life experiences, experiences that we don’t always choose. Sometimes it feels like the cards are already dealt. For instance, let me ask you, what happened in your life that made you ultimately respect boxing?

You’re right about the lighter bag, but maybe also try a soft fill from Ringside. They got a deal on, 45 percent off, good time to score a couple bags. They have a muai Thai bag that is shaped like a boxing bag sorta, has the squarish shape like their 100lb leather bag, I bet it’s a blast. 😯and you can get that leather (it’s a traditional boxing bag) in red, it’s neat looking for night or evening training, you can prolly see it better. Those 100 pound leather bags look luxury

Comment

Working...
                    X