Best I've Faced: Chris Eubank Sr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best I've Faced: Chris Eubank Sr

Unofficial

Best overall: Michael Watson. He had the best blocking ability I've seen, and in our second fight kept up the pace of a lightweight with the strength of a cruiserweight for 10 and three-quarter-rounds, which has never been done elsewhere.

Best boxer: Graciano Rocchigiani had the best timing with straight shots and out of an airtight defense.

Best puncher: By far it was Nigel Benn. Not even a muscled heavyweight on the night in Carl Thompson hit as devastatingly hard. Joe Calzaghe hit me with a clean knockdown early, but I didn't see the shot coming and was laughing in a second or so. Benn pulverized you with any shot where you wanted to cry.

Best defense: Watson or Benn, depending on the criteria. For blocking it was Watson, for evading it was Benn.

Fastest hands: Benn or Calzaghe, depending on the criteria. For a single shot it was Benn, for a combination of shots it was Calzaghe. Only Roy Jones in his prime was as fast in either criteria of hand speed, ever, pound-for-pound.

Fastest feet: The late Tony Thornton was super effective at cutting the size of the ring down.

Best chin: Steve Collins took my hardest shots in our second fight, I was able to perfectly pivot my feet on occasion as he came in; a left uppercut, a left hook, a right hand - 'bang!', no effect. He had the best chin and work-rate combination I've seen that night.

Best jab: My forte was slipping a jab expressionlessly by a centimeter, but the jab that ever really landed against me more than a couple of times in a fight was that of Rocchigiani, the southpaw. Great timing. He out-jabbed Henry Maske and Michael Nunn.

Strongest: Pound-for-pound, Michael Watson. On the night he just seemed to be a Superman, and battered me in every round after the third, until the last second of the 11th.

Smartest: Dan Schommer. My word, where did this cat come from? And where did he go? He judged distance and spacing better than any boxer I ever shared a ring with. He was always a centimeter out of range, so when I went to strike I would miss and he would counter every time with a southpaw right hook or southpaw left hand. He would've won world middleweight titles if he wasn't self-managed and dieted better.
    Last edited by coghaugen; 07-12-2017, 01:42 AM.

Originally posted by coghaugen View Post
    Unofficial

Best overall: Michael Watson. He had the best blocking ability I've seen, and in our second fight kept up the pace of a lightweight with the strength of a cruiserweight for 10 and three-quarter-rounds, which has never been done elsewhere.

Best boxer: Graciano Rocchigiani had the best timing with straight shots and out of an airtight defense.

Best puncher: By far it was Nigel Benn. Not even a muscled heavyweight on the night in Carl Thompson hit as devastatingly hard. Joe Calzaghe hit me with a clean knockdown early, but I didn't see the shot coming and was laughing in a second or so. Benn pulverized you with any shot where you wanted to cry.

Best defense: Watson or Benn, depending on the criteria. For blocking it was Watson, for evading it was Benn.

Fastest hands: Benn or Calzaghe, depending on the criteria. For a single shot it was Benn, for a combination of shots it was Calzaghe. Only Roy Jones in his prime was as fast in either criteria of hand speed, ever, pound-for-pound.

Fastest feet: The late Tony Thornton was super effective at cutting the size of the ring down.

Best chin: Steve Collins took my hardest shots in our second fight, I was able to perfectly pivot my feet on occasion as he came in; a left uppercut, a left hook, a right hand - 'bang!', no effect. He had the best chin and work-rate combination I've seen that night.

Best jab: My forte was slipping a jab expressionlessly by a centimeter, but the jab that ever really landed against me more than a couple of times in a fight was that of Rocchigiani, the southpaw. Great timing. He out-jabbed Henry Maske and Michael Nunn.

Strongest: Pound-for-pound, Michael Watson. On the night he just seemed to be a Superman, and battered me in every round after the third, until the last second of the 11th.

Smartest: Dan Schommer. My word, where did this cat from? And where did he go? He judged distance and spacing better than any boxer I ever shared a ring with. He was always a centimeter out of range, so when I went to strike I would miss and he would counter every time with a southpaw right hook or southpaw left hand. He would've won world middleweight titles if he wasn't self-managed and dieted better.
    People morph and confuse the two.

Comment

Originally posted by coghaugen View Post
      Unofficial

Smartest: Dan Schommer. My word, where did this cat from? And where did he go? He judged distance and spacing better than any boxer I ever shared a ring with. He was always a centimeter out of range, so when I went to strike I would miss and he would counter every time with a southpaw right hook or southpaw left hand. He would've won world middleweight titles if he wasn't self-managed and dieted better.
      That's ****ed up. I remember seeing Collins for the first time. He's a disturbing guy. Nobody enjoyed fighting him.

Comment

That's very interesting coming from a guy who fought so many good ones. He really seems to appreciate the skills of his rivals.

Comment

Collins was hideously tough. He walked through punches - McCallum said that. Even Benn couldn't dent the Collins jaw when he loaded with everything.

Comment

Good read, thanks for posting.

Comment

I never thought Collins was tough on basis eubank had him down and didn't have killer instinct anymore to finish him off. Plus he had hynotist as well.
              But benn evasive so he weren't just puncher? But he rates British fighters. Maybe never fought best yanks

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                People morph and confuse the two.
                calzaghes hand speed as quite slow on his straight punches. he waved his hands in a side to side motion which is obviously much easier than a forward and back motion so yes that was fast. also thats not legal to hit with the insdie of hte gloves but he got away with it caus this is boxing

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                  I never thought Collins was tough on basis eubank had him down and didn't have killer instinct anymore to finish him off. Plus he had hynotist as well.
                  But benn evasive so he weren't just puncher? But he rates British fighters. Maybe never fought best yanks
                  He didn't, he only said that to get into Eubank's head and it worked brilliantly for collins. Eubank really did believe he was hypnotise and that all his punches had no effect on Collins.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, it was a nice read.

Comment

Working...
                    X