Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a shorter than average height boxer dominate heavyweight boxing like Klitschko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main reason why you don't see shorter than average heavyweights doing anything cause they have to adopt styles that take up a lot skill and energy. They also need serious pop in their punches.

I didn't realize this was a stealth Mike Tyson hate thread. Even a shot Mike Tyson won the first round against Lennox lewis because that was the only round he had any energy for his style. Prime Mike Tyson beats Lennox Lewis, and the Klitschkos. Just that fighters like him are rare that can combine all the attributes needed to succeed. It doesn't help that Emmanuel Stewart developed a blueprint in how taller fighters can beat smaller ones. There really hasn't been one made the other way around for heavyweights. Can't replicate Mike Tyson cause that takes too much energy to execute.
    Last edited by Blackclouds; 04-25-2017, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackclouds View Post
      The main reason why you don't see shorter than average heavyweights doing anything cause they have to adopt styles that take up a lot skill and energy. They also need serious pop in their punches.

I didn't realize this was a stealth Mike Tyson hate thread. Even a shot Mike Tyson won the first round against Lennox lewis because that was the only round he had any energy for his style. Prime Mike Tyson beats Lennox Lewis, and the Klitschkos. Just that fighters like him are rare that can combine all the attributes needed to succeed. It doesn't help that Emmanuel Stewart developed a blueprint in how taller fighters can beat smaller ones. There really hasn't been one made the other way around for heavyweights. Can't replicate Mike Tyson cause that takes too much energy to execute.

I don't hate Mike Tyson. If anything, he is my favorite heavyweight boxer of all time. However, I think he was too small to be anything more than a minor irritant and nuisance to modern super heavyweights that are 240 pounds + and 6 foot 3 +. It's a near mismatch. Mike Tyson is more likely to itch those guys with even his hardest punches than to actually KO them. He lacked the power in his much smaller fists for a heavyweight and much smaller hands for a heavyweight and his much smaller overall body for a heavyweight and his much more fragile body to KO men of that size. That was proven when his hardest punches were bouncing off Danny William's and Kevin Mcbride's much heavier and bigger bodies ineffectively like they were nothing. For super heavyweights like Klitschkos or Lennox Lewis or Alexander Ustinov, getting hit by Mike Tyson will be like a fully grown adult getting hit by a 10 year old kid. It's a mismatch really!

Don't get me wrong, I think Mike Tyson was the best P4P heavyweight in history relative to his size, but in an ABSOLUTE sense, he is vastly outmatched by super heavyweights. Size does matter and when there are two skillful boxers, it's the bigger and larger one who holds the advantage.

Mike Tyson's best bet would be to beat smaller heavyweights like Evander Holyfield, Ruslan Chagaev, Calvin Brock and etc. He always stands a chance against them. However, a peak Klitschko or Lennox Lewis scramble his brain and head likely out of his body. It's that big of a mismatch!

Comment

The heavyweight division has evolved after Lennox Lewis. An average height and weight heavy will simply not last long. Even Joshua is a lot bigger than Lewis was at this age.

Comment

Ydksab

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
            Yeah man he totally fought Douglas when he was in his prime right? Didn't leave Rooney a couple fights before on Don Snake's request?
            Lol, Tyson was like 25 when he lost to Douglas and in the middle of his fighting prime. Don't make excuses. He fought just like he always had before, he just got out-boxed and beaten up in the end. Tyson was limited. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
              Lol, Tyson was like 25 when he lost to Douglas and in the middle of his fighting prime. Don't make excuses. He fought just like he always had before, he just got out-boxed and beaten up in the end. Tyson was limited. Period.
              We also don't need to bring up how he left Rooney 3 fights before and already looked bad in those fights. But he was in his prime so it was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
                We also don't need to bring up how he left Rooney 3 fights before and already looked bad in those fights. But he was in his prime so it was fine.
                It was fine. He was prime. Period. No disputing it.

Comment

Working...
                X