Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Andre Ward an Entertaining Fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Andre Ward an Entertaining Fighter?

You can say he wins ugly, but is it fun to watch? I mean Roberto Duran and Henry Armstrong fought on the inside and were genuinely fun to watch for me. Ward on the other hand, does a lot of that tying up and octopus crap and maybe it's effective although clearly illegal, but still, is it really fun to watch? For me, it's definitely not. I don't think it demonstrates any true ability other than the ability to make any fight ugly. Thoughts?
    Yes
    40.51%
    No
    59.49%

For me, yes. Because I'm learning and studying technique. Most of his fights are not clinching and when he does clinch, he's working and battling.
    My favorite guys to watch tape on are Calzaghe, Hearns, and Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      For me, yes. Because I'm learning and studying technique. Most of his fights are not clinching and when he does clinch, he's working and battling.
      My favorite guys to watch tape on are Calzaghe, Hearns, and Ward.
      Oh I do love to watch Calzaghe and Hearns for sure. But man, they were way busier and of course, Hearns could knock walls down.

Comment

Ugly, yes.
        Effective, yes.
        Entertaining, no.

But this is totally subjective of course - each his own.

Comment

is the sky blue? Is grass green? Of course ward is boring. He had the biggest fight of his life on saturday and im struggling to think of a decent combo he threw all night. Sorry maybe im the minority here but i dont find jabs to the body that entertaining to watch, that might just be me

Comment

One thing that makes fighters entertaining for me, and this goes for all styles, is landing solid clean punches. Ward can do that, but his technique is kinda funky (probably due to hand problems and other injuries) and his punches are often kinda sloppy, even if they are set up amazingly well.

I appreciate him, but I wouldnt say he was entertaining. Kovalev made him entertaining because he is that kind of fighter.

I always found Mayweather entertaining because he lands solid shots. Really snaps his opponents head back. Rigo too. Both of those two are low output fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
              is the sky blue? Is grass green? Of course ward is boring. He had the biggest fight of his life on saturday and im struggling to think of a decent combo he threw all night. Sorry maybe im the minority here but i dont find jabs to the body that entertaining to watch, that might just be me
              No, it's not just you. I agree. I guess I can't get into low punch output fighters. They may be effective, but I just don't think it's that fun or entertaining when like 15 punches are thrown a round. I spend the whole waiting for punches. I mean it's boxing. Why do I have to wait on guys to throw? Speaking purely as a fan here of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                One thing that makes fighters entertaining for me, and this goes for all styles, is landing solid clean punches. Ward can do that, but his technique is kinda funky (probably due to hand problems and other injuries) and his punches are often kinda sloppy, even if they are set up amazingly well.

I appreciate him, but I wouldnt say he was entertaining. Kovalev made him entertaining because he is that kind of fighter.

I always found Mayweather entertaining because he lands solid shots. Really snaps his opponents head back. Rigo too. Both of those two are low output fighters.
                Yes, this is why I don't find him, Floyd or Rigo entertaining. Even when effective, their output is so low. I'm not saying all high output fighters are effective, but for me, they are more entertaining. Like Williams-Lara. Lara clearly won IMO. However, I'd rather watch Williams any day. Lara just doesn't throw enough.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                  No, it's not just you. I agree. I guess I can't get into low punch output fighters. They may be effective, but I just don't think it's that fun or entertaining when like 15 punches are thrown a round. I spend the whole waiting for punches. I mean it's boxing. Why do I have to wait on guys to throw? Speaking purely as a fan here of course.
                  people can say im a troll or whatever, my genuine belief is there isnt a single person who genuinely enjoys watching him fight, people who say they do are lying to come across as boxing purists. he was negative as hell on saturday night and that should have resulted in him losing the fight. was scared to engage, never threw a right hand, didnt look like he put any weight behind his shots. and as i said he throws no combos whatsoever, other than the jab, duck, clinch combo.

Comment

hes not exciting at all, but hes not unbearable like say lara, i have yet to make it past a few rounds of a lara fight

when a fighter starts literally JOGGING around the ring, not even running but calmly jogging and watching the clock, i cant watch
                    Last edited by ////; 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X