Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC up for sale & Showtime about to pull the plug on boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBC up for sale & Showtime about to pull the plug on boxing.

Premier Boxing Champions For Sale

As noted on Friday (5.18), the prevailing thought amongst boxing insiders is that it was Al Haymon who invested at least $10M into last night’s Wilder-Breazeale fight to keep Deontay on his side of the street. The belief is that Premier Boxing Champions is for sale (or that Haymon is raising capital) and that he needs the heavyweight champion to pull down the highest multiple. There’s been speculation that Endeavor would have interest in PBC, but that seems unlikely. As one boxing insider told us “Haymon’s fighters may not fight often, but he’s paid them through the roof; Endeavor is not going to buy something with a model diametrically opposed to their MMA business.” FYI:Nearly half (41%) of the UFC’s +/- 500 fighters earn less than $45,000/year.

Showtime Boxing On The Ropes

HBO’s decision to exit the boxing business left Showtime as the sole premium cable channel invested in the sport, but whispers that they too are on bought time are getting louder and as one industry insider told us “at some point somebody above Stephen Espinoza is going to pull the plug because it doesn’t make sense to be spending $30 million, $40 million, $50 million/year on a sport and sit third on the totem pole (behind ESPN & DAZN). I don’t believe a lot of subscribers would turn off Showtime if they stopped doing boxing.”

The ratings from last night’s (5.18) Wilder-Breazeale fight (not yet released at time of print) could go a long way towards making that decision for the network. As reported in Friday’s (5.17) newsletter, Showtime is paying a record licensing fee to broadcast the bout. The network needs to draw 1 million viewers for the show to be considered a success; “if it does just 700,000 or 800,000 homes, it’s going to be embarrassing from a business standpoint.”

https://johnwallstreet.com/showtime-...-on-the-ropes/

I cancelled HBO, would immediately cancel showtime as well.

Boxing in the US bout to turn into backyard wrestling, but anybody that remembers that era of ECW/Backyard wrestling remembers that era as an amazing time for fans and the sport. It was so raw and so real, what boxing is. The truest sense of warriors in combat.

Comment

After wasting all his investors money and preventing big fights happening, Haymon looks like he's bailing on boxing. What's the Haymonites going to do?

Comment

I cancelled HBO & would cancel showtime if they stopped with boxing.

So why this noise after D.Wilder dropped & stopped Breazeale?

Where is Aj at?

Comment

PBC LDBC diehards don’t realize how much of a shake the DAZN model is would achieve. It’s was an unorthodox investment in technology backed by a mogul that has experience with these types of entrepreneurships. Showtime is based on a completely different model. Fox has some hope because of its prestige brand name.

Comment

Bob Arum, The Prophet.

Comment

Just like HBO it confuses me that anyone would be celebrating this (if any of it is true.) HBO and Showtime felt like events. Nothing else being put on has any kind of production value at all. They'll get there but I fail to see how less boxing on TV is a good thing for anyone.

Comment

I think the people that have always wanted Haymon out of boxing will celebrate this news. I don't care if Showtime stays in boxing so long as we get good fights and more shows on Fox and FS1.

I still don't think putting boxing on a streaming service right now helps the sport in the long run. If ESPN would take fights off the app exclusively and put them on regular TV AND the app that IMO would be really helpful.

Hope Al finds a way to stay in boxing. If he can bring half the success to the sport as he did with Floyd and with world tours like Beyonce and Drake, the sport will be better.
                Last edited by The Big Dunn; 05-20-2019, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
                  Just like HBO it confuses me that anyone would be celebrating this (if any of it is true.) HBO and Showtime felt like events. Nothing else being put on has any kind of production value at all. They'll get there but I fail to see how less boxing on TV is a good thing for anyone.
                  It doesn't mean less boxing on TV. It means more boxing on less TV platforms which also means more chance of seeing the fights we want.

Comment

Hahaha

The crook is being removed

I told you all he put himself first above wilders best interest in terms of signing for dazn

Make a deal with dazn Haymon, do what’s right for your boxers for once

Comment

Working...
                    X