Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Boxing To Remain in Olympics, But IOC Says AIBA Will Not Run It

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have to be careful not to allow an organisation like the WBC to take a foothold in amateur boxing, with this seeming power vacuum.

I don’t trust any of the ABC orgs, other than the IBF possibly, to run amateur boxing. Their ties to promoters is just as bad, if not worse, than what the AIBA was doing

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I disagree. I think maybe they need to sideline boxing a Olympics or two & figure sh^t out. Far too much corruption & sketchiness in amateur boxing. Sucks if you are Olympic age right now, but its gonna suck if you get robbed of a gold or just a win you shoulda gotten too.

The odds 2020 is a bigger sh^tshow without anyone we know of running it are pretty solid.
      But they still got time to figure it out though.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
        But they still got time to figure it out though.
        They haven't even figured out what mens weight divisions they are cutting yet ffs & the qualifying should be starting within 6-8 months I'd assume.

The IOC guys aren't exactly geniuses either just to be clear.

F#ck Olympic boxing.

I get it doe, the mainstream-ness for amateur boxers is a huge thing & its a once in a lifetime thing for the boxers who get attention from it/win medals, but personally I'm sorta over it between them diminishing mens boxing for womens boxing & the corruption that is always a problem & has destroyed the integrity of this event for me.

Comment

The only way to fight corruption is to have a team of high integrity, honorable individuals run things.

Sadly in this day and age integrity and honor are in short supply. Because it it isn't cool to be on the straight and narrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            The only way to fight corruption is to have a team of high integrity, honorable individuals run things.

Sadly in this day and age integrity and honor are in short supply. Because it it isn't cool to be on the straight and narrow.
            I don’t think it’s so much about it not being cool to be straight and narrow.

It’s just that people would do anything for money.

Comment

I don’t think it’s so much about it not being cool to be straight and narrow.

It’s just that people would do anything for money.
              That's part of it as well, obviously. Money corrupts.

So you need a group that will put values above money. Do we have enough people that think like that anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by wildman View Post
                I lost interest in every Olympic sport that started allowing professional athletes to compete. That is not what it's all about. I don't care if some athletes from communist countries were close to being pros anyway. The real reason it is allowed is greed, just the same as greed is ruining most professional sports in our modern world.
                I've never understood the desire to see the Olympics as the Amateur World Championships.

I wanna see the best vs the best in everything. The whole point of the Olympics was about the best vs the best, not the best unpaid vs the best unpaid.

I think the Olympics should only have professional athletes. Or if you aren't getting unpaid you still gotta beat the paid guys to make it into the Olympics cuz I'm sure there is undiscovered talent out there worth finding.

Comment

That's part of it as well, obviously. Money corrupts.

So you need a group that will put values above money. Do we have enough people that think like that anymore?
                  The short answer is no.

Comment

The short answer is no.
                    Well, that's a said state of affairs.

If you want to fight back the rising tide of corruption you need steadfast, virtuous people. Like Eliot Ness and his Untouchables.

Comment

Well, that's a said state of affairs.

If you want to fight back the rising tide of corruption you need steadfast, virtuous people. Like Eliot Ness and his Untouchables.

My old man used to watch that old black and white TV show!

Comment

Working...
                      X