Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will people stop with the "take it from the champ" BS?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the "close rounds should go to the aggressor" rule? Are you also mad about that now, or does it only apply to the fighters you like?

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
      And yeah I used the phrase in the past but I see now it's totally wrong.

If you don't "take it from the champ" it's already considered in the rules. If the fight goes to a draw, the champ remains the champ.

Fights are decided on round by round.

If a round is close will you score it for the champ because he's the champ? no...

So what more do you want? the champ already has the nod.
      Both Porter AND Ugas were champs.

Porter has promoter PBC paying off judges. Al Haymon might be good for boxers, but he's horrible for boxing

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
        What about the "close rounds should go to the aggressor" rule? Are you also mad about that now, or does it only apply to the fighters you like?
        Only if the aggressor lands more punches than his opponent.

I don't prefer one style over the other.

If the boxer lands more punches than the aggressor he deserves to win the round and vice versa.

I don't care if the pressure fighter is throwing a lot of punches or if the slick boxer is being very economical with his punches, to me what matters most is who's landing the more clean punches to the head and body round by round.

I understand some fights are very close and is difficult to pick who has the edge round by round, but those are the exception.

A lot of fights people come up with excuses as to why their favorite fighter got a gift decision or clearly lost a fight, and start saying stupid ***** like he was the aggressor or he was more slick and move around better and because of that he "outboxed" his opponent.

Comment

I think its the only sport where this outdated comment is used.....in football if the current cupholders get beaten 1 nil in the final just because they last year champions don't give them right to retain the cub.
          Your right boxing is scored round by round and the fighter who wins the most rounds takes the title.
          I have heard it so many times with the leonard victory over hagler just because haglers fans cannot take it he lost fair and square lol

Comment

Effective aggression is how it should be scored

Comment

This happens in all sports not just boxing.
              No different than home court-field advantage in basketball, nfl and baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
                I think its the only sport where this outdated comment is used.....in football if the current cupholders get beaten 1 nil in the final just because they last year champions don't give them right to retain the cub.
                Your right boxing is scored round by round and the fighter who wins the most rounds takes the title.
                I have heard it so many times with the leonard victory over hagler just because haglers fans cannot take it he lost fair and square lol
                The only thing Leonard deserved to win was a shoe shine contest

Comment

Originally posted by Loque-san View Post
                  No they won't. This expression makes no sense whatsoever but a lot of boxing fans love using it even though they ignore its origins and what it means exactly. They simply repeat what they've heard or been told. I cringe everytime I read or hear this nonsense thinking. Note that this expression is only used in boxing.

You see it used a lot when someone's favorite fighter, whom is also a world champion, gets a controversial decision in a close fight. "115-113 for the challenger? Hell no!! You gotta TAKE IT from the champ!!". The worst thing is new fans of boxing being introduced to this retrograde nonsense by older fans and believing they learn something valuable.
                  Some boxers also use that take it from the champ BS too. Pascal thought all the close rounds should go to him when he defended his title against Hopkins. Of course that same fighter sees things differently when he is the challenger. The champion should get no edge in scoring but that stupid expression has been around so long and used by so many that some must think it's written in the rules. The champion keeps his title on a draw and that is the only edge the champion is supposed to get.Rounds should be scored for whoever won them and if the challenger wins by a single point he is the new champ.

Comment

Almost nobody ever says that while even so called experts often say that you must take the title from the champ stuff.

Comment

It's used to excuse robberies.

Anyone uttering these words should be given a firm slap.

Comment

Working...
                      X