No announcement yet.

Have a degree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a degree?

So last night my wife's assistant manager told her she has a master's and has 200k in debt. This 34 year old is making 60k a year and working in a field that she didn't go to school for. Could never pay her loans off.
    I guess her mom is on her to find another job so she can pay her bills. Lol why would you even go to school if you were going to work this job?

Worst part is, she sux at her job and asked my wife if she could get promoted to a manager so she could make more money.

She doesn't show up on time, she calls out sick. She's a gossip queen, and she sux at her job.

I'm thinking the wife should let her go. Push her in the right direction, something she went to school for, something she can make real money to pay her bills.

This is a classic case these days. Go to school for nothing but to gain debt.

Unless you in a STEM field, then school is fo bustas

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
      Unless you in a STEM field, then school is fo bustas
      I guess I don't understand going to school racking up all that debt all to never use the degree.

It's like, why did you go to school!

Comment

She has masters and she makes 60k and has 200k debt!!
        Whoever planned her career wasn't too thoughtful.
        I know my previous manager did her MBA in Columbia, paid around 150k and the only goal she had was to get promoted from a AVP to VP or higher. She doesn't brin revenue to the project or get new projects, so she can't really be a director as there are more deserving candidates and she hasn't quit after her VP promotion and she hates her boss. For a salary bump of 20-25k she spent 150k was most people were talking about her.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
          So last night my wife's assistant manager told her she has a master's and has 200k in debt. This 34 year old is making 60k a year and working in a field that she didn't go to school for. Could never pay her loans off.
          I guess her mom is on her to find another job so she can pay her bills. Lol why would you even go to school if you were going to work this job?

Worst part is, she sux at her job and asked my wife if she could get promoted to a manager so she could make more money.

She doesn't show up on time, she calls out sick. She's a gossip queen, and she sux at her job.

I'm thinking the wife should let her go. Push her in the right direction, something she went to school for, something she can make real money to pay her bills.

This is a classic case these days. Go to school for nothing but to gain debt.
          Sometimes it doesn't work out when you get a degree. I have a degree, but my personality didn't fit the job. My sense of right and wrong means I can't do the job. So, there went my Bachelor's up in smoke.

I've considered going back to college, but the possibility of that very scenario stops me. I don't want to risk being in debt over a job I'm not even sure I'll succeed at. First time I studied it was with a grant. This time, I'd have to be thousands of dollars in debt just to try to earn another one.

Nope.

From my brief experience working in "regular" jobs, I know that the workplace is difficult no matter what your job is. It's a lot of politics. There is a likelihood that similar circumstances could happen to me in any field, and I'd have to go find something else to do again.

Too much risk.

My plan is to wait until someone actually wants me in a minimum wage job here (there aren't many in the colony), and then hope I can survive. If I can at least survive, then that's a start. It might be the ending, too, because I don't think I'd ever go back to college after what I've been through. And I'm just not interested in the small selection of jobs that this world has to offer, either.

It's either you're in medicine, law, or education, for the most part. They all seem boring to me.

Comment

Originally posted by todisday View Post
            Sometimes it doesn't work out when you get a degree. I have a degree, but my personality didn't fit the job. My sense of right and wrong means I can't do the job. So, there went my Bachelor's up in smoke.

I've considered going back to college, but the possibility of that very scenario stops me. I don't want to risk being in debt over a job I'm not even sure I'll succeed at. First time I studied it was with a grant. This time, I'd have to be thousands of dollars in debt just to try to earn another one.

Nope.

From my brief experience working in "regular" jobs, I know that the workplace is difficult no matter what your job is. It's a lot of politics. There is a likelihood that similar circumstances could happen to me in any field, and I'd have to go find something else to do again.

Too much risk.

My plan is to wait until someone actually wants me in a minimum wage job here (there aren't many in the colony), and then hope I can survive. If I can at least survive, then that's a start. It might be the ending, too, because I don't think I'd ever go back to college after what I've been through. And I'm just not interested in the small selection of jobs that this world has to offer, either.

It's either you're in medicine, law, or education, for the most part. They all seem boring to me.
            Man full of excuses! You always complain about being held back. Yet you got a grant to go to school? Then decided the field wasn't for you?

Just face it you don't want to work. Theres lots of hands on jobs out there if you don't like the office scene.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
              Man full of excuses! You always complain about being held back. Yet you got a grant to go to school? Then decided the field wasn't for you?

Just face it you don't want to work. Theres lots of hands on jobs out there if you don't like the office scene.
              Silly goose, I wasn't in no office. I was a teacher. I saw the system made it so that I would've been forced to scream at kids every day in an effort to get them to listen. There was also no push to actually further their understanding beyond simplistic tasks/curriculum.

That's not what I got into teaching for, playa. I didn't become a teacher to babysit. I became a teacher to teach, and I don't agree with having to intimidate children into listening. My view is that if a student doesn't want to respect the rules of the class, they shouldn't be in class. But here they have no detention, and if you take them out of class you're the one who gets in trouble. Basically, it's you on your own trying to control the wills of a bunch of teenagers who would much rather not be there, and I don't blame them with the boring curriculum I was forced to teach, either. No thanks.

I got a grant because I was poor, homie. That's all. I busted my depressed ass off for years to make that Bachelor's degree happen. I kept it together long enough.

I do want to work, and a hands on job would be my preference. There aren't many jobs in the colony, though, and no one contacts me back. Ironically, in a deserted colony full of old people, everyone still expects a ton of experience in random, minimum-wage fields. Unfortunately, precisely because there aren't enough jobs for the population and everyone has left, there are plenty of experienced workers whom get picked over me by resume alone. Being a teacher means nothing if you're trying to do physical work, resume-wise. Employers only care about experience, and my generation got screwed out of those opportunities.

Comment

I would never say that getting degree is bad.
                Seems like since the cost of an education has gone up exponentially people have to go for the money rather than doing something they enjoy and are good at and do it for the rest of their lives.

I once took a 50k pay cut to do a job I liked. It was great for a year or so then all I could think about was the money I used to make forgetting about all the sucky parts (long hours and little free time).

Comment

You'll find it difficult to get very far in any kind of business role without a Degree.

If you don't have one, the trades are your best option to earn decent cash

Otherwise it's retail or hospitality and nobody wants that

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                    I would never say that getting degree is bad.
                    Seems like since the cost of an education has gone up exponentially people have to go for the money rather than doing something they enjoy and are good at and do it for the rest of their lives.

I once took a 50k pay cut to do a job I liked. It was great for a year or so then all I could think about was the money I used to make forgetting about all the sucky parts (long hours and little free time).

Getting a degree is great if you're in a field where you can pay back your loan.

My point in this thread was she was doing no such thing. Her degree didn't get her hired for this job either.
                    My wife has no degree and makes six figures. No student loans to pay off and she loves her job.

Comment

Working...
                    X