No announcement yet.

Lara fights the completely wrong style once again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
    In the Canelo fight he runs around the ring for 12 rounds and loses a fight he would have easily won had he mixed It up a little more often and against a huge brawler type in Hurd, he stands his ground and fights.

You'd think he would have tried to fight the style he did vs Canelo and win easily on points and stay out of harms way. And before you tell me he's older and Hurd wore him down, Lara came out fighting this way last night and then eventually he did get worn down, anyone would fighting ag aisnt Hurd that way.
    Lara always fights like this...when did he stand his ground and fight Hurd exactly? Yeah he exchanged a bit more than he did against Canelo but Hurd literally laughed off his shots and pounded back with his own.

It was years ago when I said Lara is not a slick boxer. He tries to be but he does not have the reflexes to do it. Angulo, who was old and past it and throwing shots so slow I could make myself some tea in the meantime, clattered Lara continuously. Hurd is younger, bigger, stronger and throws slightly faster, so of course he was going to catch Lara.

Nothing to do with styles here, Lara just isn't and never was that good. I applaud him for going at it in the 10th and 11th but the fight was almost gone by that point but at least he showed more grit and determination than a lot of modern cubans.

Comment

He had to...to keep hurd off him

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        Lara always fights like this...when did he stand his ground and fight Hurd exactly? Yeah he exchanged a bit more than he did against Canelo but Hurd literally laughed off his shots and pounded back with his own.

It was years ago when I said Lara is not a slick boxer. He tries to be but he does not have the reflexes to do it. Angulo, who was old and past it and throwing shots so slow I could make myself some tea in the meantime, clattered Lara continuously. Hurd is younger, bigger, stronger and throws slightly faster, so of course he was going to catch Lara.

Nothing to do with styles here, Lara just isn't and never was that good. I applaud him for going at it in the 10th and 11th but the fight was almost gone by that point but at least he showed more grit and determination than a lot of modern cubans.
        Agree with some of what you say, but he is a very good fighter make no mistake. Watching him and Degale back to back, even though they fight in different weight divisions, you can see how much better Lara is in almost every department.

He has some sickness but like most Cubans he is a mover over being slick. Anyway it was a see-saw fight, when Hurd's tempo would drop Lara normally won that round with cleaner punching. But Hurd was the one setting the tempo and at the end he drowned Lara a bit and closed the show in the 12th.

But I was very impressed with Lara's grit in this fight. He showed concentration and mental toughness under severe pressure, he wasn't just content to survive.

Comment

Lara is an in and out fighter he don't the legs to fight that style anymore.The Lara that fought Angulo and Canelo is long gone
          Last edited by MrClutch85; 04-08-2018, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Hurd forced him to fight

Comment

I don't think Lara had a choice. Hurd is a seek and destroy fighter. If Lara ran he would've been chased all night. I think Lara tried to start fast to try and discourage Hurd early but it didn't work.

Initially, the movement against Canelo was a good choice because he wasn't known for his movement and had bad stamina. The problem is Lara wasn't doing much to discourage Canelo. He made things so much easier for Canelo because all he did was run and wasn't throwing much in return.

Comment

I initially thought it was a bad gameplan but came to realize it was probably the smarter choice. Too much movement would've caused him to be completely gassed out in the later rounds where everybody knew Hurd was going to come on strong. If anything, fighting mid range and closer preserved his energy to see the final bell. I think that it was Lara's lack of power (he was landing at will early on but had little effect) and Hurd's insane workrate that earned him the razor close win. Even so, Lara fought very well up until the later rounds, and if he doesn't get dropped in the 12th, the fight would have been a draw. Hard fought fight for both men and you have to give them props.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                  Hurd didn't have the respect for his power, he took some of Lara's best shots in the first couple of rounds and that set the tone. I don't think Lara could have fought much differently, he boxed when he was afforded time and space, but Hurd was bringing so much pressure and was right on top of him, pressure from a taller longer guy like that, who can also punch short is the worst kind of pressure.

Hurd also used his length at times, the jab was effective, and was throwing good counter right hands, which made Lara hesitate with the jab. I am telling you what Hurd was doing because you seem oblivious as to why Lara couldn't fight 'His' fight.

Lara could have moved a bit more, but I'm sure that would have made him more tired at the end. He fought almost as well as he could, used combinations and hard punches to keep Hurd honest but it was Hurd who was dictating the tempo and quite frankly he is a monster at the weight.
                  That's pretty well what I saw...that and Lara's legs probably aren't what they used to be. It's always funny when people just assume a fighter makes the decision to fight a certain way like it's completely independent of what the other guy is doing.

Comment

Ok, the guy show he can fight in the packet. It was as entertaining as any fight. It was a close fight decide by a knock down in the last minute of the fight and still Lara doesn't get credit. If he start running and get "robbed" or "wins", he is boring, he gave us a war and doesn't get the credit he deserve...

Comment

The fight was an easy one to take for Lara, but he has no balls. At no point did he ever fight. All he needed was some brief moments of fighting each round, and he would have destroyed Hurd.

Comment

Working...
                      X