No announcement yet.

You have to "take" a champion's title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by watchayouhead View Post
    I haven't talked too much about the Kovalev vs. Ward fight because even though I lost 2k on the fight, I'm pretty disappointed in both Kovalev and the judges.

I'm disappointed in Kovalev because he fought a way too cautious fight. There was no slugging [fighting] going on in that boxing match. Neither fighter made a statement in that matchup.
    Instead, they both fought too cautious, and neither had to show much heart. I wish it would have been a fight, instead of a sparring match.

Secondly, you should have to take a champion's title, the title-holder should get the benefit of the doubt in an even round, and a champion should get the benefit of the doubt in an even fight.

I watched the fight multiple times, with and without sound.
    I gave Ward rounds 1, 3, and 11. So I scored the fight 117-110 for Kovalev.To make matters worse, Ward got 5 million, and Kovalev- the champ with 3 titles - got 2 million for the fight.

I truly believe that the fight was signed way too far out, and each fighter had the chance to get into each other's heads.

There should be an unspoken, unwritten, rule-of-thumb in boxing that says you have to respect a champion's dignity of the title. You can't give an even round, or an even fight, to a challenger. They should have to earn it.

Boxing, the sport we love, loses fans with bad decisions such as this.
    Another thing that hurts boxing is when you pay 2 warriors millions, and charge fight fans a days wages to watch it, and the warriors don't fight.

No doubt that the re-match will be a war, and probably will be taken out of the hands of the judges.
    But I don't think either one of these guys has a place in the ring with Adonis Stevenson right now.

They have to re-store their dignity, and the dignity of boxing first.
    You can't score fights for ****. I'd be embarrassed if I was you.

Comment

• You should score the round according to won the round. very tight round? score it 10-10. What is the point of giving any fighter the round just because he carries a belt?

That being said I believe Kovalev won but most of the mid-later rounds were close. Looking forward to the rematch

Comment

• Originally posted by watchayouhead View Post
        I haven't talked too much about the Kovalev vs. Ward fight because even though I lost 2k on the fight, I'm pretty disappointed in both Kovalev and the judges.

I'm disappointed in Kovalev because he fought a way too cautious fight. There was no slugging [fighting] going on in that boxing match. Neither fighter made a statement in that matchup.
        Instead, they both fought too cautious, and neither had to show much heart. I wish it would have been a fight, instead of a sparring match.
        so ward bouncing back up from a knockdown and not losing his concentration to make the fight competitive is not heart? any other fighter gets hit flush by kovalev they throw the strategy out the window and just hope to not get killed.

Comment

• Ward went down from a standard good shot, there wasn't anything special about the shot.
          He got caught with a clean shot, and went down to see what was up, and then got back up.

I've been caught by a good shot i didn't see coming, and took a flash knockdown to keep from getting hit with a followup flurry, and to see where i was as far as having my legs and balance.

When you go down from a good shot, and know that you went down to keep from getting barraged and to access your condition, you always get up mad because you went down for nothing because you don't feel hurt.

Neither fighter turned their hands loose in that fight, and there was no trades of good shots, and nobody fought hurt. Kovalev blew it because he didn't pressure and throw. Maybe because ward was running, but Kov had chances at times when ward stopped, but he still didnt attack.

No heart in that fight, for either guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sp0rty Cr@ig View Post
            You should score the round according to won the round. very tight round? score it 10-10. What is the point of giving any fighter the round just because he carries a belt?

That being said I believe Kovalev won but most of the mid-later rounds were close. Looking forward to the rematch

You can't score a 10-10 round. The rules say you MUST give one fighter a 10, and the other guy a 9.

I'm disappointed in boxing guys around here that would give a challenger the 10 in an even round.

Comment

Working...
            X