No announcement yet.

Calzaghe fans are in damage control; legacy shattered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daggum View Post
    there is an interview on boxingscene from about a year ago. you wouldn't remember it cause you didn't know what boxing was back then(still don't) search around and you will find it.
    A link on boxingscene a year ago, thanks I definately can find it now. Since when does the word from a bitter Frank Warren mean anything anyway?

As a Hopkins fan can I assume you know about the beautiful art of boxing which includes: Headbutting, clinching, low blows and pulling your opponents head down while hitting then with your other hand and facking being hit low .

After a shot Jones beats Hopkins it will be:
    Calzaghe resume >Hopkins resume
    Last edited by Adamantium; 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSamurai View Post
      A link on boxingscene a year ago, thanks I definately can find it now. Since when does the word from a bitter Frank Warren mean anything anyway?

As a Hopkins fan can I assume you know about the beautiful art of boxing which includes: Headbutting, clinching, low blows and pulling your opponents head down while hitting then with your other hand and facking being hit low .

i'm not a hopkins fan i just don't like calzaghe.

how does roy jones beating hopkins again mean anything? wouldn't that prove that calzaghe's razor thin decision over hopkins was all the more pitiful?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSamurai View Post

this guy doesn't like anyone.

he just hates joe calzaghe. he doesn't like carl froch that much either.

i don't think i have seen him post anything other than calzaghe hate.

Comment

Daggum is Bsrizpac.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cully Boy View Post
            Daggum is Bsrizpac.
            nice signature.

who is that guy?

not the one who puts up videos of a man having sex with a sheep.

Comment

Originally posted by ItalianDragon View Post
              nice signature.

who is that guy?

not the one who puts up videos of a man having sex with a sheep.
              He was on here last year and all he talked about was Calzaghe. He's banned now

Comment

Warren hits back at Calzaghe

Forwarded by FRANK WARREN
                WHEN Joe Calzaghe said he would promote himself against Roy Jones Jnr, he said he hoped our split would be amicable.

Well that obviously isn’t the case but having considered him more a friend than a fighter I have kept my silence.

But Calzaghe’s recent attacks on me in the Press have left me no choice but to defend myself in print, although I find it deeply saddening that I have to do so.

When Joe signed with me he couldn’t afford to pay his mortgage. But over 12 long, hard, but successful years, I helped make him into a multi-millionaire, one of the best-known UK sports personalities who is now nailed-on for boxing’s Hall of Fame.

In his book, he says signing with me was the best decision he ever made. But he now claims he was held back, kept in ‘shackles’ and could have had big fights sooner.

Yet until he beat Jeff Lacy and finally began to believe in himself, one person and one person alone afflicted his career: Joe Calzaghe.

He would pull out of fights at short notice for reasons he felt were valid. But it left me to sort out the mess with opponents furious and TV execs pulling their hair out.

Once I had to pay opponents cash up front before they would sign a contract because they were afraid of going through weeks of training camps for nothing if he pulled out.

I lost $100,000 to Glen Johnson when Joe pulled out of a world-title fight with him for a second time. This the same Johnson who KO’d Jones four years ago.

I recall that when I vetoed a fight with Freeman Barr, a dreadful mediocre No 1 mandatory challenger who meant nothing, Joe said that he wanted to face him.

Sky and I didn’t want the fight and fortunately the bout didn’t come off after Barr was beaten. For much of Joe’s career, I worked with US TV network Showtime, and they nicknamed Calzaghe ‘No Show Joe’, not least because of the pullouts and the fact he’d refuse to travel to the States to promote his fights.

Calzaghe blamed his reluctance to travel on his fear of flying. But it made trying to build a name for him in the US a nightmare.

For chunks of Calzaghe’s reign as a world champ, American TV lost all interest in the Welshman, but I continued to pay him the same money he was on when he was boxing on Showtime.

And it wasn’t just the Americans who were growing frustrated with Joe.

When the WBO ordered Calzaghe to face Mario Veit for a second time — having already knocked him out in the first round — I had a major problem because not one television station in the UK wanted the fight.

Fortunately I managed to kid Veit’s German promoters I was going to make a big bid and it would take a massive sum to take the fight to the Continent.

They gambled on being able to recoup some of the money back from Sky or ITV.

They got a nasty surprise when they realised there would hardly be a penny our end — but Joe still grossed $1.7m when the fight could have gone for zilch.

After Veit II, Calzaghe went on to fight Lacy in what would go down as one of the best British performances of all time.

Yet that fight, like others, was nearly shelved.

He insisted a couple of weeks beforehand he was injured and couldn’t fight.

Both his dad Enzo and I persuaded him in the end to step through the ropes, something I’ve never done with a boxer before or since.

For me, that was the making of Calzaghe.

But my proudest moment in the sport came 18 months later when Joe beat Mikkel Kessler in Cardiff to prove what I’d said for years — that he was the world’s best super-middleweight. I lost £500,000 on that show but money really didn’t matter on the night because it was such a wonderful feeling to see him finally unify the world titles.

Knowing Joe had a good chance of winning BBC Sports Personality of the Year, the week before voting I gave the BBC a re-run of the fight for free despite being offered money for the delay by ITV.

I believed it would help secure votes for him. It duly did — and my decision was vindicated when Calzaghe won Sports Personality.

But then so much of my time with Joe was spent working behind the scenes to raise his profile.

When the opportunity to meet the Prince of Wales in Cardiff came up, Joe was reluctant to go along, even though it was just a few miles down the road.

In the end, I was able to make him see sense. Was it a coincidence that in the spring he was awarded the CBE?

Other times I wasn’t so successful. One Saturday morning he was due to appear on a children’s TV show which was based on boxing and centred on Joe.

Thirty minutes before the show was due to go on air in London, I got a call from Joe, no doubt for reasons, saying he wouldn’t be able to go after all, leaving me again to call the unfortunate producers.

I gave up trying to get him the kind of gigs Ricky Hatton would do at the drop of a hat.

Joe made comments about the money and attention Hatton got but, although Joe is the better boxer, Ricky was prepared to put in the hard yards to get publicity.

In April, having decided he could travel to the States, Joe defeated Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas — a night where I felt a great deal of personal vindication.

Months before the fight, we met and agreed I’d promote Joe’s next bout — which he said would be his last — and I began negotiating with Bob Arum for Kelly Pavlik and Roy Jones.

I preferred the Pavlik fight as Jones is way past his best.

In the 2008 latest edition of his autobiography, Joe states Jones is ‘washed up’ and in an interview in Boxing Monthly said he had ‘no interest’ in fighting Jones.

Now he is trying to make out Jones will provide a legitimate challenge.

Jones will probably get on his bike against Calzaghe — Joe struggles against runners. I believe I could have got Calzaghe far more money than he managed to secure himself.

He agreed a 50-50 purse split with Jones. Roy must have thought he had won the lottery.

After Joe beat Hopkins, HBO pay-per-view exec Mark Taffett told me they didn’t care who he fought next — Calzaghe was the No 1, not Jones or Pavlik.

Over-the-hill Jones brought hardly a thing to the table — and certainly not 50 per cent. A fight against Pavlik, which Arum had agreed, would have done far more for Calzaghe’s legacy.

And Arum would have accepted 40 per cent of the pay-per-view figures and given up the UK revenue.

As Joe’s manager, I was entitled to take a percentage of his purses but never took sixpence from him, barring the second Veit fight, which was on another promoter’s show.

At 36, he is hardly a kid who has been exploited. And it’s ironic he has attacked me this week over the choice of Amir Khan’s opponent.

I’ve said all along the buck stops with me — the same matchmaker who picked Calzaghe’s opponents during his unbeaten reign.

Over the years, I helped Joe with personal problems, gave him gifts and genuinely believed we had become friends.

I also became close to his dad, who joked with me at ringside in Manchester this month. If someone kept my son in ‘shackles’ and mistreated him, I wouldn’t give them the time of day.

I still regard Calzaghe as the best fighter to have come out of the UK since the war.

Although he is something special between the ropes, it seems money is now his master.

He said as much recently when ‘ambushed’ live on ITV by Carl Froch, who demanded a fight.

Calzaghe’s response? “It’s all about the money, man.”

I won’t comment on Joe again until the action between him and Sports Network is decided. It’s so sad it has come to this.

I believe this is the article daggum was referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  i'm not a hopkins fan i just don't like calzaghe.

how does roy jones beating hopkins again mean anything? wouldn't that prove that calzaghe's razor thin decision over hopkins was all the more pitiful?
                  It was not razor thin. He took twice as many rounds as Hopkins and would have stopped him if Hopkins hadn't acted like a ***** and faked being injured.
                  Last edited by Mozza; 11-23-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozza View Post
                    It was not razor thin. He took twice as many rounds as Hopkins and would have stopped him if Hopkins hadn't acted like a ***** and faked being injured.
                    I very much doubt that. Hopkins didn't have the stamina to keep up with Calzaghe but Hopkins never looked liked being stopped in that fight. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by shonuff488 View Post
                      Warren hits back at Calzaghe

Forwarded by FRANK WARREN
                      WHEN Joe Calzaghe said he would promote himself against Roy Jones Jnr, he said he hoped our split would be amicable.

Well that obviously isn’t the case but having considered him more a friend than a fighter I have kept my silence.

But Calzaghe’s recent attacks on me in the Press have left me no choice but to defend myself in print, although I find it deeply saddening that I have to do so.

When Joe signed with me he couldn’t afford to pay his mortgage. But over 12 long, hard, but successful years, I helped make him into a multi-millionaire, one of the best-known UK sports personalities who is now nailed-on for boxing’s Hall of Fame.

In his book, he says signing with me was the best decision he ever made. But he now claims he was held back, kept in ‘shackles’ and could have had big fights sooner.

Yet until he beat Jeff Lacy and finally began to believe in himself, one person and one person alone afflicted his career: Joe Calzaghe.

He would pull out of fights at short notice for reasons he felt were valid. But it left me to sort out the mess with opponents furious and TV execs pulling their hair out.

Once I had to pay opponents cash up front before they would sign a contract because they were afraid of going through weeks of training camps for nothing if he pulled out.

I lost $100,000 to Glen Johnson when Joe pulled out of a world-title fight with him for a second time. This the same Johnson who KO’d Jones four years ago.

I recall that when I vetoed a fight with Freeman Barr, a dreadful mediocre No 1 mandatory challenger who meant nothing, Joe said that he wanted to face him.

Sky and I didn’t want the fight and fortunately the bout didn’t come off after Barr was beaten. For much of Joe’s career, I worked with US TV network Showtime, and they nicknamed Calzaghe ‘No Show Joe’, not least because of the pullouts and the fact he’d refuse to travel to the States to promote his fights.

Calzaghe blamed his reluctance to travel on his fear of flying. But it made trying to build a name for him in the US a nightmare.

For chunks of Calzaghe’s reign as a world champ, American TV lost all interest in the Welshman, but I continued to pay him the same money he was on when he was boxing on Showtime.

And it wasn’t just the Americans who were growing frustrated with Joe.

When the WBO ordered Calzaghe to face Mario Veit for a second time — having already knocked him out in the first round — I had a major problem because not one television station in the UK wanted the fight.

Fortunately I managed to kid Veit’s German promoters I was going to make a big bid and it would take a massive sum to take the fight to the Continent.

They gambled on being able to recoup some of the money back from Sky or ITV.

They got a nasty surprise when they realised there would hardly be a penny our end — but Joe still grossed $1.7m when the fight could have gone for zilch.

After Veit II, Calzaghe went on to fight Lacy in what would go down as one of the best British performances of all time.

Yet that fight, like others, was nearly shelved.

He insisted a couple of weeks beforehand he was injured and couldn’t fight.

Both his dad Enzo and I persuaded him in the end to step through the ropes, something I’ve never done with a boxer before or since.

For me, that was the making of Calzaghe.

But my proudest moment in the sport came 18 months later when Joe beat Mikkel Kessler in Cardiff to prove what I’d said for years — that he was the world’s best super-middleweight. I lost £500,000 on that show but money really didn’t matter on the night because it was such a wonderful feeling to see him finally unify the world titles.

Knowing Joe had a good chance of winning BBC Sports Personality of the Year, the week before voting I gave the BBC a re-run of the fight for free despite being offered money for the delay by ITV.

I believed it would help secure votes for him. It duly did — and my decision was vindicated when Calzaghe won Sports Personality.

But then so much of my time with Joe was spent working behind the scenes to raise his profile.

When the opportunity to meet the Prince of Wales in Cardiff came up, Joe was reluctant to go along, even though it was just a few miles down the road.

In the end, I was able to make him see sense. Was it a coincidence that in the spring he was awarded the CBE?

Other times I wasn’t so successful. One Saturday morning he was due to appear on a children’s TV show which was based on boxing and centred on Joe.

Thirty minutes before the show was due to go on air in London, I got a call from Joe, no doubt for reasons, saying he wouldn’t be able to go after all, leaving me again to call the unfortunate producers.

I gave up trying to get him the kind of gigs Ricky Hatton would do at the drop of a hat.

Joe made comments about the money and attention Hatton got but, although Joe is the better boxer, Ricky was prepared to put in the hard yards to get publicity.

In April, having decided he could travel to the States, Joe defeated Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas — a night where I felt a great deal of personal vindication.

Months before the fight, we met and agreed I’d promote Joe’s next bout — which he said would be his last — and I began negotiating with Bob Arum for Kelly Pavlik and Roy Jones.

I preferred the Pavlik fight as Jones is way past his best.

In the 2008 latest edition of his autobiography, Joe states Jones is ‘washed up’ and in an interview in Boxing Monthly said he had ‘no interest’ in fighting Jones.

Now he is trying to make out Jones will provide a legitimate challenge.

Jones will probably get on his bike against Calzaghe — Joe struggles against runners. I believe I could have got Calzaghe far more money than he managed to secure himself.

He agreed a 50-50 purse split with Jones. Roy must have thought he had won the lottery.

After Joe beat Hopkins, HBO pay-per-view exec Mark Taffett told me they didn’t care who he fought next — Calzaghe was the No 1, not Jones or Pavlik.

Over-the-hill Jones brought hardly a thing to the table — and certainly not 50 per cent. A fight against Pavlik, which Arum had agreed, would have done far more for Calzaghe’s legacy.

And Arum would have accepted 40 per cent of the pay-per-view figures and given up the UK revenue.

As Joe’s manager, I was entitled to take a percentage of his purses but never took sixpence from him, barring the second Veit fight, which was on another promoter’s show.

At 36, he is hardly a kid who has been exploited. And it’s ironic he has attacked me this week over the choice of Amir Khan’s opponent.

I’ve said all along the buck stops with me — the same matchmaker who picked Calzaghe’s opponents during his unbeaten reign.

Over the years, I helped Joe with personal problems, gave him gifts and genuinely believed we had become friends.

I also became close to his dad, who joked with me at ringside in Manchester this month. If someone kept my son in ‘shackles’ and mistreated him, I wouldn’t give them the time of day.

I still regard Calzaghe as the best fighter to have come out of the UK since the war.

Although he is something special between the ropes, it seems money is now his master.

He said as much recently when ‘ambushed’ live on ITV by Carl Froch, who demanded a fight.

Calzaghe’s response? “It’s all about the money, man.”

I won’t comment on Joe again until the action between him and Sports Network is decided. It’s so sad it has come to this.

I believe this is the article daggum was referring to.

Frank was just bitchy because Calzaghe left him.

Comment

Working...
                      X