This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
    Get off the smith machine and ask a worker to spot you. You're missing out on all the small contributing muscles by not using the bar. You're not building the right foundation with the smith machine.
    My goal with the smith machine was to give me confidence to do a full 2 plate unaided for 5 reps. Well I can do a full (2) reps at 225 on a regular bench which is still better than when I started weight lifting back in May. Small gains.

Comment

• Going to Vegas Memorial weekend, trying to cut as of yesterday. Havent drank any alcohol in 101days & its showing positively in the gym...

Comment

• I seriously hate to admit this, every fiber in my being says to keep this a silent skeleton in my closet, but since I seriously can't say this in my boxing club, I'll say it here... I hate skipping rope LOL. It's one of those things that when you're bad at it you mentally come up with every excuse not to do it, like ah, I'll work on shadowboxing today or speed bag or heavy bag or running/sprinting for goodness sake, anythinggg else, and there's always something else to work on LOL.

So, I'll be adding extra jump rope time at night until I can successfully say, I hate it but I can do it properly and efficiently. Tryna make Brian Viloria proud LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by cv808 View Post
          I seriously hate to admit this, every fiber in my being says to keep this a silent skeleton in my closet, but since I seriously can't say this in my boxing club, I'll say it here... I hate skipping rope LOL. It's one of those things that when you're bad at it you mentally come up with every excuse not to do it, like ah, I'll work on shadowboxing today or speed bag or heavy bag or running/sprinting for goodness sake, anythinggg else, and there's always something else to work on LOL.

So, I'll be adding extra jump rope time at night until I can successfully say, I hate it but I can do it properly and efficiently. Tryna make Brian Viloria proud LOL.
          Watch you tube videos of Floyd. No really. It helps.

Work on the side to side and other tricks. It helps mix things up, also gives your arms a rest if you change their positions periodically.

Also, get some good music going.

Comment

• I've been actually doing better! My hand-eye coordination is horrible, which is why my coach preaches skipping rope so much, plus he wants me doing a hell of a lot more cardio, and obviously, that's one way to add in some killer cardio. I haven't tried with music yet, I think that'd be a cute fun twist lol. I'll try that! I do notice my arms and shoulders getting tired after a good 20-30 mins of skipping rope, figured it was my arms were weak, and eventually will build up it's endurance.

Comment

• Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
              My goal with the smith machine was to give me confidence to do a full 2 plate unaided for 5 reps. Well I can do a full (2) reps at 225 on a regular bench which is still better than when I started weight lifting back in May. Small gains.
              smith machine for boxing punch power:

put a bench off center. lay down on it, your left or right hand should be in the center of the hammer bar. put 10- 15lbs on each side. lie on flat bench in bench press position and SHOOT IT HARD into the air with the centered arm, like a punch, and then catch and dont slam it down but dont go down super slow either. just use gym etiquette. work the fast twitch, warm up first..but you get the idea. then switch sides. work the other side the same way, its better to work your entire left and then your entire right, than to work the left then switch the bench to right, obv. after each set, stand up and work the rear power straight cross punch for the hand you just worked so that the fibres all apply to a shot.

You can superset this with either juggling for a minute or so, or you can do pulldowns.
              Last edited by Warrior Scholar; 07-09-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by cv808 View Post
                I've been actually doing better! My hand-eye coordination is horrible, which is why my coach preaches skipping rope so much, plus he wants me doing a hell of a lot more cardio, and obviously, that's one way to add in some killer cardio. I haven't tried with music yet, I think that'd be a cute fun twist lol. I'll try that! I do notice my arms and shoulders getting tired after a good 20-30 mins of skipping rope, figured it was my arms were weak, and eventually will build up it's endurance.
                shoulda played more video games!!!

haha, nah, but juggling has improved my hand eye coordination I think. ive gotten so good now to where I can move around while keeping 3 balls in the air. doing this a couple minutes every day helps the hand/eye. also, make yourself a corded rubber ball/headband and punch it, not hard, the cords at walmart are 2.00 in the craft area and the headband, you can just use any old hat. The rubber racqetballs you want for the device are located right by the tennis balls in walmart, 4 bucks for a pack of 3 I think.
                beats the 30.00 pricetag on the named sites for the device.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                  Watch you tube videos of Floyd. No really. It helps.

Work on the side to side and other tricks. It helps mix things up, also gives your arms a rest if you change their positions periodically.

Also, get some good music going.
                  Yeah, try to do his master switchover with the rope. Watching him helps, still can't do it though =p

Comment

• Originally posted by Warrior Scholar View Post
                    smith machine for boxing punch power:

put a bench off center. lay down on it, your left or right hand should be in the center of the hammer bar. put 10- 15lbs on each side. lie on flat bench in bench press position and SHOOT IT HARD into the air with the centered arm, like a punch, and then catch and dont slam it down but dont go down super slow either. just use gym etiquette. work the fast twitch, warm up first..but you get the idea. then switch sides. work the other side the same way, its better to work your entire left and then your entire right, than to work the left then switch the bench to right, obv. after each set, stand up and work the rear power straight cross punch for the hand you just worked so that the fibres all apply to a shot.

You can superset this with either juggling for a minute or so, or you can do pulldowns.
                    sounds like fun and the smith machine got a new bar so I'll give it a go

Comment

• Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                      sounds like fun and the smith machine got a new bar so I'll give it a go
                      You're gonna like the way it feels.

Comment

Working...
                      X