Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why was is much safer back in the 50s 60s than it is today in the US?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    From the 60s onward, the federal government has grown and grown. Most problems stem from that IMO.
    Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
    The erosion of morals i.e. Decline of Christianity.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Federal government is the worse defender because they started to pay people to be unproductive, they took away any self accountability

When the federal government started giving all the freebies, it just brought about more unproductive people, then families of unproductive people, and now generational unproductivity even though more money than ever is being spent on these people

Obviously there has always been crime but Chicago wasn't the murder capital when al Capone was around.. that should tell you something about how dangerous things have got

Comment

Hell no.

And it was even more dangerous if you go past that.

When it was Italians and Irish as the immigrants here, you think it was all fine and dandy?

It's safer now, believe it or not.

Gangs have been around way before bloods and crips you know? They were white people first.

Then there was the Ku Klux Klan at those times too.

Comment

Well I'm just basing it when old people talk and say back then there weren't many crimes and you can leave your door unlocked. I've heard this many times from documentaries, tv not from personal conversation with people though coz I don't talk to lots of white geezers. The only white geezers I talk to are form work and we talk work related.

Comment

The Vietnam war really divided this country and drained our economy. The hippy movement, drugs, and racial strife during the civil rights movement caused a deeper divide. The 70's saw urban decay, high unemployment, drug use on the rise, higher rates of poverty, and a lot of radical politics emerging.

Crime was a big byproduct of all of these events. Particularly urban decay and poverty. The late 80s and early 90s was out of control. I lived through some very dark years during that time when NYC was at it's worst in terms of crime. Today, big cities are safer than they have ever been. You really had to live through the 70s - 90s in a big city to see just how much it has improved since then.

Today, when I think of safety, I think about the likelihood of terrorist attacks, active shooters in public places, and random acts of violence often triggered by racism. Gangs are the least of my worries, though they are a concern for anyone who lives in a community that is overrun by them. Particularly if you have school aged children to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bygeorge View Post
            Thank you for this, because I have always heard that "It's much less crime today" popular talking point. Looks like this is not true.
            It really depends on how you break it down. The FBI has by far the most comprehensive statistics on crime. Going back to the 30s or 40s, I believe. Been years since I really looked into it, but if you really want good breakdowns, that is where you should head.

Anyways politicians are'nt technically lying as crime has dropped dramaticly in the last 25 years. Also last I saw, your chances of being murdered are about on par with the 50s as well as things like car theft, home invasion etc etc. The real cause in the difference in overall statistics from the 50s to today is drug related crimes.

Problem we have today, if it is a problem, is perception is reality. We have access to so much information now, that we can literally hear about **** 24/7. Back in the 50's you had radio, TV and your local paper. Bob and Mary living in the suburbs just did'nt hear much if anything about the ****ty things going down back then. Today, you constantly hear about bad things happening and eventually you just think the world is going to hell in a hand basket, and dream of percieved better days.

Truth is we are as safe today as we were in the 50s or close to it anyways.

Comment

I wouldn't say it is safer at all today than in the past.

I think the biggest threats to The average American is the multi national corporations and lobbyist that run your life.

They are getting us into expensive wars to secure their own interests.
              They are conducting an expensive war on drugs to ensure their profits.
              They are feeding you all poison, in the form of GMO, antibiotics,pesticides, carcinogens, and chemicals.
              The real terrorist are your employers and you will never do anything about it because Americans are too dumb to see what is in front of their eyes
              Last edited by BoxingTech718; 06-28-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Federal government is the worse defender because they started to pay people to be unproductive, they took away any self accountability

When the federal government started giving all the freebies, it just brought about more unproductive people, then families of unproductive people, and now generational unproductivity even though more money than ever is being spent on these people

Obviously there has always been crime but Chicago wasn't the murder capital when al Capone was around.. that should tell you something about how dangerous things have got
                The bigger it gets, the more crime and division you will have. I mean, look at how things are now under this giant government we've got and compared to the rest of the world, it's not even that bad. And that should tell you something about the world. Not the nicest place.

Until we start chopping down the reach of the fed, I don't see things changing in any drastic way. Lock those doors and get your carry permit.

Comment

More US marines around now than there where in 50's and 60's.

Hmmmm.

Comment

They didn't do stats that far back. Plus the news was more local here and would've been more rare to report on crimes in a national way.

Comment

Who told you it was safe in that time? People were getting lynched and rapped more often

Plus the mobs were big specially in big cities like Chicago and New York
                      Last edited by Phenom; 06-28-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X