No announcement yet.

Any boxers in here

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any boxers in here

Amateur or pros? My son boxes. He just got his book. Been training for going on three years. It's funny because he's 5 foot 8 and walks at 145-150 maybe. but his trainer wants him fighting at 135 at highest.

That's the only thing about combat sports that bothers me. It's unhealthy and can induce long term damage on the body. Changing from one weight to the next at a fast rate is bad for the organs, and the heart.

I would let him fight at the weight he is most comfortable....

Comment

From what I know, a few fighters are in here but mostly browse and stay secret. Shawn Porter used to post on a regular basis, but as usual trolls make the pros reluctant to post.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        From what I know, a few fighters are in here but mostly browse and stay secret. Shawn Porter used to post on a regular basis, but as usual trolls make the pros reluctant to post.
        Damn Shawn Porter used to post on here?? That's crazy

Comment

I recently found out that in amateur boxing you weigh in morning of fight and pay $5 for the weigh in and many time there is not an opponent all the time. And you wear smaller gloves I think they said 10oz for my sons size. And they judge by action so they basically want slug fest wars. We got our hands on some pro gloves 8oz Reyes and I'll tell you what. Those gloves have very soft padding and you can actually feel your knuckle through it. I know Garcia and PAC use those gloves

Comment

I fought some smokers as an amateur on military installations. I was a registered coach, time keeper and judge with USA Boxing back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I've sparred with many an amateur and a pro or two. I've been a trainer for the better part of two decades. My great uncle was a pro in the 50's, journeyman level who went the distance with Ralph Tiger Jones, Yvonne Durelle 2x, Bobby Boyd and ended his career KO'd by Henry Hank.

I got off to a late start when boxing, and by the time I really put my heart into it I was too old. Today I just do an abbreviated version of my prior workouts with the bags, skipping rope, shadow boxing etc. I still train amateurs from time to time and anyone who asks for pointers. I find some of the most humble athletes I've met and competed with were and are boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESUNSHlNE View Post
              Amateur or pros? My son boxes. He just got his book. Been training for going on three years. It's funny because he's 5 foot 8 and walks at 145-150 maybe. but his trainer wants him fighting at 135 at highest.
              Good for you guys, where state do u guys train out of? How old is your son?

Comment

He's 19 and been training since 17 in California in the Central Valley that's the area we signed up for. It covers Fresno and up to Sacramento. He has power and decent jab and likes to attack fast. But he takes hits. Trainer always on him about keeping his hands up. Chin pretty strong. Spars with title 16oz and 14oz .

Comment

He's been in a few smokers with other gyms from Fresno and Sacramento. He sparred a couple pros too.

Comment

But because he's 19 how many amateur fights do you think he should have before going pro. I see some of these guys with like 30 or so then go pro but then I see some guys with as little as ten before going pro. I know age is a factor too. His trainer think maybe amateur for a year. And we're looking at maybe two fights a month

Comment

Working...
                    X