No announcement yet.

Boxing Fans Association

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Fans Association

Just an idea of thought of throwing out there for discussion.

I think most hardcore boxing fans are getting tired of all the ***** that goes on in the sport. Promoters not willing to work together, fighters cherrypicking, corrupt athletic commissions, corrupt sanctioning bodies, prehistoric drug testing, juicing fighters etc. The worst part of this is that the real power lies with the fans. As we are all used to hearing, Professional boxing is more of a business than a sport and the fans are the ones who provide the cash for that business. Is there any way the fans can have a real say in how the sport is run. Obviously the best way is not to hand over cash for fights but I think people just accept that it's a corrupt sport, shrug their shoulders and hand over their hard earned cash while saying, 'It is what it is. I don't like it but there;s nothing we can do.'

Is there any way a boxing fans union or interest group could be set up? If your a boxing fan you join up. Any upcoming fights or issues relevant to the sport could possibly have a voting system to publicise the opinion of the fans. For example: Fighter A is facing fighter B and fighter B is way over matched. The association come out and says, this is a soft match up and we do not endorse the fight.

Do you think something like this would influence rankings and match ups or just become another corrupt body being influenced by promoters money etc.? I actually fear it would be the latter but do you think it would be possible in theory?
    Apologies for the long post!

Originally posted by Ro2535 View Post
    Just an idea of thought of throwing out there for discussion.

I think most hardcore boxing fans are getting tired of all the ***** that goes on in the sport. Promoters not willing to work together, fighters cherrypicking, corrupt athletic commissions, corrupt sanctioning bodies, prehistoric drug testing, juicing fighters etc. The worst part of this is that the real power lies with the fans. As we are all used to hearing, Professional boxing is more of a business than a sport and the fans are the ones who provide the cash for that business. Is there any way the fans can have a real say in how the sport is run. Obviously the best way is not to hand over cash for fights but I think people just accept that it's a corrupt sport, shrug their shoulders and hand over their hard earned cash while saying, 'It is what it is. I don't like it but there;s nothing we can do.'

Is there any way a boxing fans union or interest group could be set up? If your a boxing fan you join up. Any upcoming fights or issues relevant to the sport could possibly have a voting system to publicise the opinion of the fans. For example: Fighter A is facing fighter B and fighter B is way over matched. The association come out and says, this is a soft match up and we do not endorse the fight.

Do you think something like this would influence rankings and match ups or just become another corrupt body being influenced by promoters money etc.? I actually fear it would be the latter but do you think it would be possible in theory?
    Apologies for the long post!
    A good start would be to have just one world champion in each weight class.
    http://www.tbrb.info/
    That is a really good site. Check it out if you havn't. Knowledgeable and honest people and none of them who are responsible for the rankings is some s**tty belt organizations b**ch.

/greeh
    Last edited by greeh; 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Well one champion per weight class would be the ultimate goal but you gotta walk before you run. Even if they said from here on out we're judging the sanctioning bodies and eventually have one they support it might make a difference. I never knew about the transnational boxing rankings so thanks for linking it

Comment

If it ever got off the ground, just imagine all the cocaine and hookers Arum and Schaefer would throw at the leadership. They'd be endorsing Broner-Malignaggi as the fight of the century.

Comment

I've always argued for multiple champions, but only 2 per division. 3 or 4 or 5 whatever it is now, is pathetic.

Why 2? Unification fights are exciting. It builds up rivalries and gives fans something to discuss and take sides on

Ofc these two, if not unified, should be obliged to fight eachother.

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
            A good start would be to have just one world champion in each weight class.
            http://www.tbrb.info/
            That is a really good site. Check it out if you havn't. Knowledgeable and honest people and none of them who are responsible for the rankings is some s**tty belt organizations b**ch.

/greeh
            The Transnational report on who enters the top ten is exactly like the ones tht Used to be published in RING, in the good old h=days when it really WAS the Bible of Boxing....

Comment

Do I get to be commissioner?

Comment

Yeah I hate how everyone jumps on the 'one champion' bandwagon without thinking. Not only are unification fights great for the sport but also if there was only one champion then we would miss so much talent in the game through fighters not getting a shot. What we really need is for the (let's go with your idea of 2 champs) champs to regularly fight each other and for all the promoters and organisations to 'get on' and work with one another.... then boxing would be fine with 2 or even 3 champs.

EDIT: IN REPLY TO TECHLIAM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
                  Yeah I hate how everyone jumps on the 'one champion' bandwagon without thinking. Not only are unification fights great for the sport but also if there was only one champion then we would miss so much talent in the game through fighters not getting a shot. What we really need is for the (let's go with your idea of 2 champs) champs to regularly fight each other and for all the promoters and organisations to 'get on' and work with one another.... then boxing would be fine with 2 or even 3 champs.

EDIT: IN REPLY TO TECHLIAM.
                  If you not are the best, you shouldn't call yourself champion. Maybe i make it more simple than it is, but it's more prestige to be champion when only one can be it. And why are you saying that we would miss so much talent?
                  We wouldn't miss them, we would still see them but they will be contenders instead of "champions".

/greeh
                  Last edited by greeh; 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I like the idea a lot

Comment

Working...
                    X