Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxers or fighters in general lift weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abracada View Post
    Just googled it and Froch did a shed load of resistance training and weights.
    Resistance training, yes.

Weights, no. At least not last time I checked.

Comment

I think it comes down to this: If you are a fighter give weightlifting a try. If it helps you then keep doing it. If it doesn't then eliminate it. I keep thinking of NFL great Lawrence Taylor who never lifted weights and who was likely the best ever. Do it if it helps, get rid of it if it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
        High weight, low reps? I would say the opposite. Lower weights and higher reps, for muscular toning rather than high weights low reps, which is typically done for bulking
        Sorry, this is nonsense. High weights low reps for Power>Strength.

You can bulk easily if you're eating loads and lifting heavy yeah

Comment

I lifted weights, for 2 years, and fought. I did quite well in the ring during that time period......Rockin'

Comment

I'd have thought most pros did weights

Comment

Originally posted by P4Pdunny View Post
              I'd have thought most pros did weights
              Some do, some stay away from them altogether.

Comment

Lift weights? Yes. Strength train? No. You don't want to over-train but you do want to use weight lifting for balance and coordination as well as to maintain muscle. Core training is crucial

Comment

Originally posted by CrowsNestWest View Post
                  Lift weights? Yes. Strength train? No. You don't want to over-train but you do want to use weight lifting for balance and coordination as well as to maintain muscle. Core training is crucial
                  Too many fighters think muscles = punching power.

Comment

always keep your body sore with the deadlifts 3 times a week, irregardless if you stop everything else. What this does is unlock natural testosterone and growth within, along with putting you in a better mood.

Comment

Originally posted by AchillesFury View Post
                      I don't know what to believe. I read different articles on Google that have different opinion on it, some saying its good thing if done right some say its a bad as well. Can you please clarify the right answer, thanks in advance.
                      All other things being equal, a stronger athlete is a better athlete.

Resistance training ("lifting weights") done properly imposes a stress on the skeletal muscles of an athlete which--provided sufficient rest, nutrients, etc.--results in the skeletal muscles and supporting tissue adapting by growing slightly larger and stronger, so they are better able to meet the same demands placed on them in the future.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to fire away.
                      Last edited by GelfSara; 11-12-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X