Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best time to drink water - before, during or after training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    lol. wtf, squat? if you're working hard enough, on a field away from el bano, have a set of boxing gloves laced onto your hands, have full equipment on, you can't piss in constancy. the best indicator of your level of hydration is how you feel. your stomach will feel bloated if you're drinking too much, which hinders performance. if you need water your mouth will start getting dry, and eventually it'l turn into full blown thirst, and that's the important one.

if you're getting a splitting headache it's probably too late to hydrate while remaining at your peak performance, but the notion that it's too late to hydrate when you get thirsty is f#cking absurd. that's why you get thirsty and don't just keel over first.
    Dehydrated doesn't have to mean you are hydrated, and then you keel over and die. There is an in between.

If your urine is dark, or yellow, you are dehydrated. You should have clear urine and that is a sign of good hydration.

You don't have to drink 10 gallons of water a day to have your urine look like that, about a gallon a day for an active person is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
      Pineapple is a natural way to reduce swelling! I blend pineapple and coconut water and drink it after a rigorous workout
      i overdid it and my tongue feels a bit messed up lol

pineapple overdose

Comment

when you're sparring, you're better off just rinsing your mouth out and taking in a little bit of water.

Here's a guy who has an idea about practicing a sport at a certain level...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          Here's a guy who has an idea about practicing a sport at a certain level...
          http://espn.go.com/high-school/featu...hydration-tips

If less than two hours prior to training or competition the athlete does not produce urine or if the urine is dark in color, they are not hydrated and should slowly drink more fluids.
          What types of fluids should you avoid while training? Which do you recommend?
          Mandel: According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, energy drinks have no place in the diets of children and adolescents. The best fluid choices for young athletes are water
          There is a difference in being dehydrated to the point of death, and being properly hydrated for an athletic competition as strenuous as boxing. If you feel thirsty, have dark urine or a dry mouth, you are already dehydrated.

You should hydrate hours BEFORE your competition. Then in the corner, I agree, very little amounts of water should be consumed. I have a trainers degree in personal training, also have my pro boxers license for the State of FL, Cal, Ok and NY.

I also am registered for USA boxing and have been certified for their now up to date requirements in the new rules under the amateur system.

They talk about proper hydration and the difference between hydration as a avg person walking around and an athlete participating in a sport as tough as boxing.

If you don't properly hydrate your fighters prior to competition, not only will they not perform up to standard, but you run the risk of giving them a concussion because studies have shown that being dehydrated makes you more susceptible to head trauma.

Comment

in short:

the day of activity is when you make sure you're adequately hydrated. you want to piss clear and often.

during activity you maintain an intake of water that your sport will allow. lacrosse players don't drink a ton because we feel bloated and slow. the hotter it gets outside, the more you have to drink, but you don't want to gorge on the stuff. fighters don't drink a ton because they take punches, swallow blood, need to be feel light and move fast, etc. lots of trainers will tell you to rinse and spit, only taking in small sips of water.

after activity is when you do most of your sweating, and that's when you camel up [drink a lot of water and replenish.] i suggest mostly water, but you can definitely mix in some sports drinks if you're diluting them. they've got salt and sugar, which is stuff you use up during activity.

if you're not performing at a high level, just drink when you feel thirsty during activity. as long as you aren't gulping down several pints, you won't feel sick or overly slow. i used to drink a ton of water when i lifted weights. who gives a f#ck if i feel a bit bloated walking around a weightroom?
            This is good advice. It has been working well for me. Drinking hour or so before my workout then little sips during so i do not feel bloated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              http://espn.go.com/high-school/featu...hydration-tips

There is a difference in being dehydrated to the point of death, and being properly hydrated for an athletic competition as strenuous as boxing. If you feel thirsty, have dark urine or a dry mouth, you are already dehydrated.

You should hydrate hours BEFORE your competition. Then in the corner, I agree, very little amounts of water should be consumed. I have a trainers degree in personal training, also have my pro boxers license for the State of FL, Cal, Ok and NY.

I also am registered for USA boxing and have been certified for their now up to date requirements in the new rules under the amateur system.

They talk about proper hydration and the difference between hydration as a avg person walking around and an athlete participating in a sport as tough as boxing.

If you don't properly hydrate your fighters prior to competition, not only will they not perform up to standard, but you run the risk of giving them a concussion because studies have shown that being dehydrated makes you more susceptible to head trauma.
              I agree with this. Being properly hydrated is an ongoing thing. And while of course you can quench thirst by taking water onboard it's not the same thing as being adequately hydrated. Avoiding dehydration is about ensuring the symptoms of dehydration never arrive, not just taking action when your mouth is dry or when your piss is no longer clear.

Comment

Working...
              X