No announcement yet.

Joe Louis is underrated these days

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Louis is underrated these days

I see loads of posters on the NSB saying that Louis wouldnt stand a chance against the likes of Wlad, Vitali or Lewis. They seem to think that Louis was some unskilled midget that never fought anyone above 6ft tall. When you watch some of his fights before his layoff during the war he looks great to me incredible punching ability very good at slipping punches. He never had any wasted movement and he beat a lot of big guys he seemed to be very good at beating taller fighters. I think Louis is better than any active fighter today and would beat all the current heavyweights.

He may be underrated by younger fans and outright idiots.

But to knowledgeable guys, especially in this section, he is far from underrated.

He is considered if not THE greatest Heavyweight of all time, the lowest he is widely ranked is #2.

And in my mind a Top 20 ATG.

Comment

He was an awesome force and it's rather difficult to make an argument that he wasn't one of the top two greatest heavyweights to ever live.

At 6'2 and 208 pounds (against 6'4+, 250+ lb Simon & Baer) he would fit in with the majority of today's heavyweights. Povetkin, Adamek, Haye, Chagaev, Ibragimov, Chambers, Boytsov, Arreola among others were no bigger, some may have weighed more but that's because Louis only ever showed up in peak condition except later in his career.
      Last edited by TheGreatA; 11-06-2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Louis is one of the stupidest examples someone who nuthugs modern fighters could use. Considering he routinely beat heavier fighters and had a very modern style.

I rank Joe Louis the Number 2 Heavyweight of all time and I don't see how anyone can rank him lower. He is also in the Top 2 H2H Heavyweights of all time in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Louis is one of the stupidest examples someone who nuthugs modern fighters could use. Considering he routinely beat heavier fighters and had a very modern style.

I rank Joe Louis the Number 2 Heavyweight of all time and I don't see how anyone can rank him lower. He is also in the Top 2 H2H Heavyweights of all time in my opinion.
          I remember posting a year ago saying i thought Louis would beat Wlad and all the Wlad fans called me an idiot. They have probably never watched Louis fight.

Comment

Originally posted by davros2010 View Post
            I remember posting a year ago saying i thought Louis would beat Wlad and all the Wlad fans called me an idiot. They have probably never watched Louis fight.
            No probably about it, they haven't.

Comment

I noticed that Simon was using the grab/lean tactic on Joe Louis and he weighs even more than Wlad. Joe had to have incredible stamina to withstand a big man like that.

He won every fight against his 230+ opponents by Knockout. Two-Ton Tony had never been down in his career and was keeled over from a Louis punch.

Comment

Id put Dempsey in that same category of past fighters who could fight today. Speed, power translates to any era.

Not sure about Marciano because I never saw him beat big men, but hed dominate Cruiserweight division.

Comment

Maybe by dipshits who don't really know the sport, but who cares what they think? Anyone with proper respect for the history of boxing knows how great Joe Louis was.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
                    Id put Dempsey in that same category of past fighters who could fight today. Speed, power translates to any era.

Not sure about Marciano because I never saw him beat big men, but hed dominate Cruiserweight division.
                    Sometimes, I have dreams about Dempsey and Marciano at cruiserweight today. I'd give anything to see that.

Comment

Working...
                    X