Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is P4P Rated By Legacy Or Quality Of Opposition?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
    I have Sergio at #2 currently, after Pacquiao.

Nobody should be mentioning wins over Barrera or Morales in their argument against Sergio, save that for Pacquiao's HOF and ATG ranking discussions.

Would a win over Maidana get Morales back into top 10 P4P? He has one of the best resumes in boxing, but no.
    ummm.....and why doesn't barrera and morales count?

p4p takes into account past wins as well. maybe not as important as recent wins but past wins still matter.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
      beating up on eurobums, keeping ur hands low like a ******, not lookin where ur punching = P4P #1.

calling out fighters you're 3-5 inches taller than, who are 1-2 weight divisions lower than u, also helps.
      are you saying the current P4P king quality of opposition is better then the eurobumbs?

also are you really trying to argue Martinez's level of skill is and he shouldn't replace the current and more technical P4P king

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
        i honestly don't get the sergio is #1 over floyd/pac talk.

williams , dizzy and pavlik are good wins but let's not act like he just beat a bunch of HOFers or something.

people dismiss floyd's and pac's wins over cotto and mosley but......

both of those wins are better than any of serge's wins in his entire career.

people get too hyped up over recent fights and lose perspective.

this sorry *****sexual bastard tried to make a whole new thread & tried to masquerade his OP with "several websites made sergio p4p 1#" when in reality we were just arguing what are some elements that make up a subjective & ambiguous rating as p4p. he never responded to my last post & had to create a whole new thread just to check himself, yet claimed in another thread that he was "whipping" some *******s.

yea cuz whipping = running to another thread.

Legacy/resume counts in the p4p ratings if the guy being scrutinized is still active, prominent in the sport, & IN THE TOP 10.

That all comes into play.

Pac has been fighting Hall of Famers since he got to america, martinez was fighting Archak TerMeliksetian (16-8) & david torovio 18-10 as recently as 2008.

But we all know why *****s are ***riding sergio & a couple of weeks ago nonito donaire........

Anbody that challenges Pac's position as p4p they will start the propaganda.

Comment

Its on who you think is the current pound for pound best boxer on the planet. To me that is based on how well you have performed recently and the kind of opposition you face (recent resume).

Manny is performing magnificently. Floyd had one fight in 18 months. Sergio is fighting great opposition and doing it well a la Manny in 2007-2009.

I put Sergio at number 2 but the talk about him being number one is healthy.

Comment

i honestly don't get the sergio is #1 over floyd/pac talk.

williams , dizzy and pavlik are good wins but let's not act like he just beat a bunch of HOFers or something.

people dismiss floyd's and pac's wins over cotto and mosley but......

both of those wins are better than any of serge's wins in his entire career.

people get too hyped up over recent fights and lose perspective.
            I disagree, I rate wins over HOFers above others, but past prime HOF fighters and past prime borderline HOF fighters are another story.

When you're talking about highly rated, prime fighters, it's pretty much the equivalent, if not, above past prime and borderline HOF fighters.

How do you rank these?

Toney's win over Michael Nunn or Toney's win over McCallum?

How about Jirov against Holyifield?

How about Trinidad's win over Sweet Pea against his win over Vargas?

Comment

Originally posted by oj simpson View Post
              this sorry *****sexual bastard tried to make a whole new thread & tried to masquerade his OP with "several websites made sergio p4p 1#" when in reality we were just arguing what are some elements that make up a subjective & ambiguous rating as p4p. he never responded to my last post & had to create a whole new thread just to check himself, yet claimed in another thread that he was "whipping" some *******s.

yea cuz whipping = running to another thread.

Legacy/resume counts in the p4p ratings if the guy being scrutinized is still active, prominent in the sport, & IN THE TOP 10.

That all comes into play.

Pac has been fighting Hall of Famers since he got to america, martinez was fighting Archak TerMeliksetian (16-8) & david torovio 18-10 as recently as 2008.

But we all know why *****s are ***riding sergio & a couple of weeks ago nonito donaire........

Anbody that challenges Pac's position as p4p they will start the propaganda.
              past fights definitely count.

p4p takes into account past fights , recent fights , technical ability and even potential.

that's why p4p is always riddled with old fighters who have big resumes or young guys/new champions who writers feel can beat the top fighters in their division.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
                I disagree, I rate wins over HOFers above others, but past prime HOF fighters and past prime borderline HOF fighters are another story.

When you're talking about highly rated, prime fighters, it's pretty much the equivalent, if not, above past prime and borderline HOF fighters.

How do you rank these?

Toney's win over Michael Nunn or Toney's win over McCallum?

How about Jirov against Holyifield?

How about Trinidad's win over Sweet Pea against his win over Vargas?
                so when pacquiao beat barrera when barrera was a top 10 p4p fighter and #1 at 126 it doesn't count because he was past prime?

neither does when he beat morales when morales was #2 at 130?

okay.

Comment

ummm.....and why doesn't barrera and morales count?

p4p takes into account past wins as well. maybe not as important as recent wins but past wins still matter.
                  They matter, but they should be as a tie breaker, not part of the main reason for ranking A over B.

Comment

The thread title doesn't even make sense... the quality of opposition a boxer faces determines his legacy. You can't build a strong legacy without facing top opponents.

Comment

past fights definitely count.

p4p takes into account past fights , recent fights , technical ability and even potential.

that's why p4p is always riddled with old fighters who have big resumes or young guys/new champions who writers feel can beat the top fighters in their division.
                      of course it counts. these morons are trying to treat p4p 1# title as some sort of lineal belt.

There's a reason why nonito donaire's win didnt supplant pac in the 1# p4p ratings. Montiel was p4p 10 & is a better win than any of sergio or pac's most recent win.

Yet there's a reason why he's not 1#. His RESUME WAS LACKING.

notice how the TS never responded back to none of the threads he was "whipping"?

Comment

Working...
                      X