Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey or Sam Langford who do you rate as the greater fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam is the greater fighter, but I'd give Dempsey a good chance of stopping Langford.

Comment

langford was a better fighter p4p by a little. but dempsey as heavy defeats langord.

Comment

Langford is a cut above Dempsey.

Also I have heard that Dempsey admitted that he was afraid of Langford and that Sam would beat him.

Comment

some ****in amazing comments here.. Dempsey would have knocked him out within 2rds and those who have said Langford would beat him are talking a load os bull, Jack Dempsey is one of the greatest and most famous fighters who ever lived.. what the **** is Langfords claim to fame

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            some ****in amazing comments here.. Dempsey would have knocked him out within 2rds and those who have said Langford would beat him are talking a load os bull, Jack Dempsey is one of the greatest and most famous fighters who ever lived.. what the **** is Langfords claim to fame

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              you should be castrated for your ignorance.

Comment

At heavyweight, I'd fancy Dempsey to KO Langford, but Sam has one of the best resumes in boxing:-

Joe Gans, Jack Blackburn, Kid Williams, William Hague, Stanley Ketchell, Dave Holly, Tut Jackson, Tiger Flowers, Kid Norfolk, George Godfrey (2), Bill Tate (3), Jeff Clarke (2), Young Peter Jackson (3), Dixie Kidd (2), Phily Jack O'Brien, Gun Boat Smith, Harry Wills (2), Sam McVey (7), Joe Jeannette (7), Fireman Jim Flynn (4)

The above are all wins.. He also had draws and defeats to some of them, but only HW Harry Wills had the better of Langford overall..

Dempsey on the other hand, lacks a bit of depth in his resume.. It could do with a few of the above or a win over a good ATG like Harry Greb.. Between 1918 and 1923 they fought at least 8 common opponents, some on more than one occasion, so in some ways i'm surprised a match between Greb and Dempsey never materialized?..

As for an answer to the question; Langford accomplished more in the ring, so should be placed higher than Dempsey on an ATG list, but at HW Langford should be lower and tbh would be lucky to make my top 20 HW's, as would Dempsey be just as lucky to
                make my top 20 ATG's..

Comment

Good post Mickey!!!!!

Comment

actually it was an excellent post. thanks and green!

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                      At heavyweight, I'd fancy Dempsey to KO Langford, but Sam has one of the best resumes in boxing:-

Joe Gans, Jack Blackburn, Kid Williams, William Hague, Stanley Ketchell, Dave Holly, Tut Jackson, Tiger Flowers, Kid Norfolk, George Godfrey (2), Bill Tate (3), Jeff Clarke (2), Young Peter Jackson (3), Dixie Kidd (2), Phily Jack O'Brien, Gun Boat Smith, Harry Wills (2), Sam McVey (7), Joe Jeannette (7), Fireman Jim Flynn (4)

The above are all wins.. He also had draws and defeats to some of them, but only HW Harry Wills had the better of Langford overall..

Dempsey on the other hand, lacks a bit of depth in his resume.. It could do with a few of the above or a win over a good ATG like Harry Greb.. Between 1918 and 1923 they fought at least 8 common opponents, some on more than one occasion, so in some ways i'm surprised a match between Greb and Dempsey never materialized?..

As for an answer to the question; Langford accomplished more in the ring, so should be placed higher than Dempsey on an ATG list, but at HW Langford should be lower and tbh would be lucky to make my top 20 HW's, as would Dempsey be just as lucky to
                      make my top 20 ATG's..
                      My sentiments exactly! Dempsey > Langford marginally at Heavyweight, Langford > Dempsey by a mile p4p.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X