Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Junior Weight Divisions Water Down the Sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
    Naw, these weight divisions didn't just pop up when PBC was introduced. The last major division was what the cruiserweight division about 30 years ago.

Maybe it's the big fights not happening that makes it look water downed.
    Has nothing to do with PBC. Just in general. Look at Terence Crawford. He beat the man at 140. Now what? He literally has no one to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      I was browsing through the UFC website and noticed there are only 8 weight classes. Boxing currently has 17. Boxing used to operate similarly: (Fly/Bantam/Feather/Light/Welter/Middle/LHW/HW)

There are several reasons why junior weight divisions exist. Maybe safety and more sanctioning fees for the organizations. But from a competitive standpoint, do they water down and hurt the sport?

For example, imagine weight divisions that looked like this:

Middleweight:

Golovkin
      Canelo
      Lara
      Cotto
      Charlo X 2
      J Rock
      Jacobs
      Lemieux
      Andrade
      Saunders

Light Heavyweight

Stevenson
      Kovalev
      Ward
      Jack
      DeGale
      Beterbeiv
      Zurdo
      Dirrell X 2
      Groves
      Brahmer

Welterweight

Brook
      Thurman
      Spence
      Crawford
      Porter
      Garcia
      Peterson
      Postol
      Bradley
      Vargas
      Broner

Bantamweight

Chocolatito
      Rigondeaux
      Yanamaka
      Chemito
      Rau'Shee
      McDonnell
      Cuadras
      Inoue
      Estrada
      Tete
      Kameda

By removing the junior divisions, the rankings would be much more solid from one to 10, being a long reigning division champion will be more meaningful, the number of champions would decrease, the sport would be easier to follow for casuals, and most importantly, better fights would be made.

Are you for or against junior weight divisions?
      More belts = more $$$$$

Included in that is the "extra" belts that are always made.

WBC World
      WBC Diamond
      WBC Silver
      WBC interim

That's just the top 4 belts the WBC has that im positive they charge sanctioning fees for....

multiply that by the 17 divions = ALOT of extra $$$$$

that's just the WBC btw.

Comment

Has nothing to do with PBC. Just in general. Look at Terence Crawford. He beat the man at 140. Now what? He literally has no one to fight.
        He's only had 4 fights at 140. He has plenty to choose from they're just on the other side of the fence. Plus I only see him fighting one more at 140 than moving up.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          They obviously water down the sport & I'd be pro losing them.

I'd also be pro losing some lower weight divisions in general. Right now boxing has 17 weight divisions & 8 of the 17 are for guys who weigh 135lbs or less. I don't even talk to any grown men who weight 135 f#cking pounds ffs. I could live with there being 118lbs, 126lbs & 135lbs.
          I disagree...the lower weight classes are quite popular in other parts of the world, especially Asia and Latin America.

I am all in favor of eliminating the junior/super classes though. is there any science that would support their existence? It looks like another sanctioning body cash grab.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakBread904 View Post
            I disagree...the lower weight classes are quite popular in other parts of the world, especially Asia and Latin America.

I am all in favor of eliminating the junior/super classes though. is there any science that would support their existence? It looks like another sanctioning body cash grab.
            So a three pound difference is fine because it's popular in Asia but why make 12-15 pound difference between Welterweight and Middleweight. And Middleweight to Light Heavyweight.

Comment

I think the biggest issue is the gap between 175 and heavyweight. Everything in between should be manageable. In the mini weight classes you got 3/4 division champions that only moved up 10 pounds.
              yeah, you could put cruiserweight back where it was originally, at 190, and then have both a heavyweight and super heavyweight division above it

Comment

The junior classes are fine for prelim bouts and main event ten rounders. When titled fights are involved the junior division is eliminated, the scales go back to same morning weigh ins and the divisions become legit once again.
                175 to 191 was the old cruiser class and that works out ok!

Ray

Comment

I was browsing through the UFC website and noticed there are only 8 weight classes. Boxing currently has 17. Boxing used to operate similarly: (Fly/Bantam/Feather/Light/Welter/Middle/LHW/HW)

There are several reasons why junior weight divisions exist. Maybe safety and more sanctioning fees for the organizations. But from a competitive standpoint, do they water down and hurt the sport?

For example, imagine weight divisions that looked like this:

Middleweight:

Golovkin
                  Canelo
                  Lara
                  Cotto
                  Charlo X 2
                  J Rock
                  Jacobs
                  Lemieux
                  Andrade
                  Saunders

Light Heavyweight

Stevenson
                  Kovalev
                  Ward
                  Jack
                  DeGale
                  Beterbeiv
                  Zurdo
                  Dirrell X 2
                  Groves
                  Brahmer

Welterweight

Brook
                  Thurman
                  Spence
                  Crawford
                  Porter
                  Garcia
                  Peterson
                  Postol
                  Bradley
                  Vargas
                  Broner

Bantamweight

Chocolatito
                  Rigondeaux
                  Yanamaka
                  Chemito
                  Rau'Shee
                  McDonnell
                  Cuadras
                  Inoue
                  Estrada
                  Tete
                  Kameda

By removing the junior divisions, the rankings would be much more solid from one to 10, being a long reigning division champion will be more meaningful, the number of champions would decrease, the sport would be easier to follow for casuals, and most importantly, better fights would be made.

Are you for or against junior weight divisions?
                  They don't water down the sport. They are hurting the sport. If you get rid of the JR divisions, we would see many more great fights. And the contenders would have to fight each other.

Comment

And we don't need to bring back same day weighins either.

Comment

There'd definitely be the possibility of better fights due to the reduced number of belts. That's a vote against them from me.

Comment

Working...
                      X