Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guillermo Rigondeaux Technical Discussion (I'm Putting You on the Spot)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
    You just said one of the best defensive fighters of all time has poor defense. It's easy to have great defense when you throw 12 punches per round. I'm more impressed with the guy that's standing in the pocket, rolling and slipping punches, being offensive minded and STILL not getting hit.

Ward, Mayweather, Duran and Whitaker have all been successful in doing that.
    Great thread, great points. Green K sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
      If he's such a master at controlling distance, and I don't deny he does this well but you said master, how come his lead left isn't as consistently thrown/ as accurate as Mayweather's straight right or Whitaker's straight left?
      Compubox numbers?

If he's so deceptive in controlling distance, why doesn't he have a consistent jab the like of Hagler, Winky, Whitaker or Michael Moorer? Explain that......
      Simple. While all these guys were southpaws just like Rigo, they all had a very square stance which allowed them to throw the jab effectively. At times when Whitaker was using a more conventional stance, his jab was a lot less effective and he got punished for it.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        You just said one of the best defensive fighters of all time has poor defense.
        Duran was one of the best defensive fighters of all time?

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
          Compubox numbers?

Simple. While all these guys were southpaws just like Rigo, they all had a very square stance which allowed them to throw the jab effectively. At times when Whitaker was using a more conventional stance, his jab was a lot less effective and he got punished for it.
          They all put Rigondeaux's jab to shame, Rigo's is more for measuring but the biggest issue is, if he actually had a jab the quality of the southpaws I mentioned, he wouldn't need to wait for counter punching opportunities, he'd be creating them as the jab will force his opponents to initiate more aggressively.

CompuBox?

No dude, it's not even debatable.

Comment

Yes, especially given his style.

Comment

Absolutely. You have some studying to do.

Comment

I tell you why i praise his style:
                1) He uses his lead hand like a Swiss army knife; always sticks it out and probes his distance, hypnoses (lol) opponent, parries opponent's shots with it to counter, and uses his forearm as a barrier when they charge in. I think this one is his most beautiful aspect.
                2) He uses his waist so masterfully; once he ducks at waist he is untouchable because he to back and to sides keeps changing his upperbody's position.
                3) He is sneaky: shows his cross meanwhile loading on the front foot to prepare a lead hook for you. I think such games are the reasons him being called as a Chacal .
                4) He is powerful, makes kos, discolated Jazza's jaw, I hope he is OK.
                5) He has a charizma whether it counts or not: he is a Cuban, Olympian, old but gold, calling out the best, dedicated.

And yes i realized i haven't seen him fighting off the ropes or in close distance. Need to watch again.
                Last edited by DinoCop; 07-28-2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

They all put Rigondeaux's jab to shame, Rigo's is more for measuring but the biggest issue is, if he actually had a jab the quality of the southpaws I mentioned, he wouldn't need to wait for counter punching opportunities, he'd be creating them as the jab will force his opponents to initiate more aggressively.

CompuBox?

No dude, it's not even debatable.
                  Working behind the jab from a conventional southpaw stance is just stupid.

The jab should be used to create distance, throwing the jab from a conventional southpaw stance does the opposite. How many times have you seen Crawford throw the jab against Postol?

And you're right, there is no debate, Rigo is a much more accurate puncher than Whitaker.

Comment

The jab should be used to create distance, throwing the jab from a conventional southpaw stance does the opposite. How many times have you seen Crawford throw the jab against Postol?

And you're right, there is no debate, Rigo is a much more accurate puncher than Whitaker.
                    Ignorant statement, I already mentioned those who could successfully do it and you only add credence to what I've been saying, Rigondeaux not showing many dimensions. Why doesn't Riggondeaux have a good enough jab to force his opponents to initiate? It's a simple question, if he's such a master at controlling distance.

Comment

Pernell Whitaker and Marvin Hagler had great southpaw jabs. A jab can be used more than creating distance. A jab can be used to:

1. Set up and finish combinations
                      2. Disrupt your opponents rhythm
                      3. Close distance

And I haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg. Watch how many different ways Andre Ward utilizes his lead hand. Hell, let's keep it southpaw and watch Pernell Whitaker.

These fighters do so much more than Rigo.

Comment

Working...
                      X