Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Roberto Duran rated higher than Sugar Ray Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duran took prime Leonard's 0, in the rematch Duran was fat and untrained.

Duran is greater for me.

Comment

Flip a coin. Both guys were amazing.

Duran moved up further in weight, having more meaningful success doing so, than Leonard did.

In his prime, Leonard had a monster resume.

Duran, however, is the only man to defeat a prime Leonard, and he skipped a weight class (140) to do so.

Comment

Lightweight prime Shane Mosley lights up Duran imo. Yeah I said it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown Champ View Post
          Lightweight prime Shane Mosley lights up Duran imo. Yeah I said it.
          Could be. Styles make fights, bruh.

Sugar Shane doesn't move up to beat no prime Leonard though.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
            Flip a coin. Both guys were amazing.

Duran moved up further in weight, having more meaningful success doing so, than Leonard did.

In his prime, Leonard had a monster resume.

Duran, however, is the only man to defeat a prime Leonard, and he skipped a weight class (140) to do so.
            Some actually hold against him that he skipped Aaron Pryor's weight class

Comment

Who rates duran higher? Most hardcore heads including myself rate Leonard much higher.

Ive never seen anyone putting Duran above leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing56 View Post
                Just curious? Why do people generally consider Duran to rank higher than SRL pound for pound? I mean I'm a fan of both but Leonard's resume is pretty untouchable.
                Well, he was the smaller, older, former lightweight and the only fighter to beat prime Leonard, when younger, bigger, prime ATG fighters like Hearns, Benitez and Hagler couldn't. Think about that for a moment.

He'd been fighting for a decade before all of those guys reached their prime and moved up from super bantamweight before becoming lightweight champ and then beating Leonard.

Despite fighting those guys and being famous as part of that group, he's still not of their generation. He's of the generation before and was the fighter of the decade for the 70's as a lightweight, not the 80's as a welterweight and middleweight.

Comment

Simple, Duran beat him prime for prime and was the only man to do it.

Hell, Sugar R. Leonard said it himself right after the Barkley fight - he was like, "dam bruh, you the best."

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                    Who rates duran higher? Most hardcore heads including myself rate Leonard much higher.

Ive never seen anyone putting Duran above leonard.
                    really? the all time p4p lists I have seen have duran higher he's usually in the top ten way higher than leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                      He got a gift in the Hearns rematch and the third Duran fight was a joke. His win over Hagler is still disputed to this day. Not trying to bash Leonard, I like and respect him, but I think Duran's legacy is more impressive and his fighting style was more entertaining. He didn't try to steal rounds by waiting to fight in the last 30 seconds.
                      Do you realize what you just did?? You deliberately failed to mention that Leonard stopped Hearns and made Duran quit.

Comment

Working...
                      X