No announcement yet.

Prime years for a boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime years for a boxer?

What do you consider a boxer's prime years? Obviously this differs for every fighter based on many factors but in general what do you think? 25-30? 30-33?

Thanks to his heavy steroid use I think Canelo's potential is yet to be reached, he might not hit his prime until he's 35 but it will only last a couple years.

i think late 20's when you usually see the very best version of a fighter

Comment

Originally posted by 48cantCstraight View Post
      What do you consider a boxer's prime years? Obviously this differs for every fighter based on many factors but in general what do you think? 25-30? 30-33?

Thanks to his heavy steroid use I think Canelo's potential is yet to be reached, he might not hit his prime until he's 35 but it will only last a couple years.
      I personally tend to take it from about 28 - 32 on average at MW... it gets a bit lower at smaller weights a bit higher as you go up, and obviously is dependent on dudes staying healthy and looking after themselves and absolutely ain't a one size fits all thing.

Speaking of Canelo (and unproven slurs aside - whatever my personal take it's yet to be definitively established that Canelo deliberately used PEDs) I'd say he's at pretty much his physical prime right now, and though his experience and ringcraft may continue to improve, this is likely to be balanced by an inevitable (if initially slight) physical decline.
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-09-2019, 04:15 AM.

Comment

It all depends on each individual fighter. Boxers who rely purely on athleticism and reflexes usually peak faster, Ali being the exception because he still had freakish hand speed for a heavyweight and his chin, endurance and ring IQ got him out a lot of tight situations.

Roy Jones and Naseem Hamed are a good example of the above. After the reflexes went downhill RJJ didn't have the chin to sustain heavy blows and Naseem Hamed virtually lost all his elusiveness after leaving Ingle and started to get outpointed but still had his power to bail him out.
        Last edited by iamboxing; 01-09-2019, 03:40 AM.

Comment

28-32

slightly earlier for fighters who rely on athleticism, slightly older for fighters who rely on skill

Comment

I don't see Canelo fighting beyond this contract with Dazn at a 2 fight yearly average that's 5 1/2 years pitting him around 33/34 when it's done. With his build of short and stocky and the eventual metabolism slowdown the rigors of making weight is going to be a massive pain. He's also too small to last long at 175 imo. That's not to say he won't do great things between now and then or to discredit him but by the time this contract expires I don't imagine that hunger being there for him.

Comment

The general rule is the earlier start the shorter the career at the top level and vice versa.

Wilfred Benitez started at the top level at 17, was shot by 30.

Benard Hopkins started at the top level at age 28 and was still there at 50 and was in his prime at around age 36.

Sergio Martinez another example started in his 20's and hit his prime at mid 30's.

There are obviously exceptions but that's the general rule I think.

Obviously style, how much punishment you take etc can
              also play a factor.

Comment

How many fights and how many wars they have been in can impact their prime. Duration of amateur career weighs in too. During the glory days of boxing a fighter was considered washed up by the time he was 32. Today, I'd say most fighters primes are somewhere between 24 - 34. Give or take a couple of years depending on your fighting style (defensive fighters primes last longer) and whether or not you move up and down a lot in weight classes. All of those things take a toll on your body.

Comment

Are we talking physical or mental prime?? because those are 2 separate things

Comment

I would say 25 to 33-ish for most fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X