Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough talk of ''Da skillz'' without elite attributes you'll never be elite

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a complex subject. I think intangibles do come into play when it comes to success in the sport. Heart, determination, will...

I think there are so many factors that play a big role in becoming elite, and staying at that level.

I'm too lazy to go in depth but thought I'd drop this post.

Comment

I'd say that elite fighters are those who both have skills but also are able to maximise their strengths. Guys like roy jones and pacquiao based their style around their speed, some of which is trained while some being genetic. Golovkin has freakish strength, some of that comes through technique and strength training but a good bit of it will be genetic. Golovkin bases his style around this strength without relying on it too much.

To me a fighter should have skills that compliment but don't rely on his strength. While I appreciate guys with heart and a good chin you shouldn't just rely on it all the time. Same with guys with "skillz" who don't actually know how to fight on the inside or what to do when the going gets rough.

Toney had real skillz, he could fight inside and outside and although he had a chin he didn't always rely on it. He had the skills to avoid unnecessary damage. At least in the ring, not in sparring.

Guys who place too much on genetics have a kind of close minded view. It doesn't automatically determine how good you will be at something. It will determine what kind of style you have for sure but it's how you build on that style that make the real difference. Genetics doesn't make fights, styles do.

Comment

A combination of physical attributes always overpower the skills alone but if you can combine both this is where the elites being born.

Comment

Originally posted by straightleft View Post
          A combination of physical attributes always overpower the skills alone but if you can combine both this is where the elites being born.
          Yep. This is what I was getting at. Only you put it shorter and better than I did lol

Comment

Working...
          X