Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should Gennady fight if there is no Canelo rematch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should Gennady fight if there is no Canelo rematch?

I would prefer he rematches Canelo, but I am afraid that the next scenario is very possible:

Lemieux gets a win against Saunders in a very controversial decision. Canelo decides he wants to go for Lemieux's new title and that fight gets made.

What's left for Gennady?

Should he rematch Jacobs? How much beating Jacobs for the 2nd time means for him at this point?

Should be Charlo, WBC mandatory is due next

Comment

If no Canelo then he should unify the division v Saunders should be beat Lemieux and keep his belt. Of course the Lemieux rematch could happen if he wins the title but is anybody really bothered about that rematch? the first fight was a beating.

Jacobs rematch would be ok. Jacobs got credit because he went 12 but really he won about 4-5 rounds and got dropped. It was a moral victory at best for Jacobs but he still did well enough to deserve another title shot at some point.

Charlo is in the picture of course.

Or he should move up. I didn't think he looked great on the scales in his last few fights, especially the Canelo fight. Maybe he could try to get a fight with DeGale who is still IBF champ i believe. DeGale isn't tied up with this SMW tournament and looking for big fights.

Comment

Charlo or Jacobs.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
          Charlo or Jacobs.
          Whatever brings in the most dollars. So that would be the winner of Saunders and Lemieux. I'd rather see him fight Saunders personally it would be interesting. Failing that, Charlo. I really don't see the point of moving up because Ward is gone. I don't think he could beat Ward anyway if Ward is allowed to get away with his cheating. In a straight up fight by the rules I think Ward would still be a problem. He's bigger and very smart.

Comment

there are no genuinely big fights at 160 lbs, and no real names at all at 168 lbs. he may retire by the end of 2018. i'd expect him to take an easier fight than charlo if he's not getting pay per view money. promotors don't like pay cuts, and fighters really don't like them. but you can fight three cans in a year and make several million in purse. charlo you risk losing, breaking your hands, cuts, etc.

in a perfect world the canelo rematch happens. otherwise, given the landscape at 160 and how much i detest saunders [other major beltholder, which id on't care about anyway] for ducking golovkin in his prime [saunders literally told eubanks in a press conference a few years ago that golovkin would beat both of them on the same night ] i'd prefer charlo.

he can be marketed as a bad guy, and he's a dangerous opponent.

i really don't care for a jacobs rematch. fight wasn't all that good, and considering that golovkin's fights left in boxing are and should be a finite resource i don't expect it to happen and would prefer other fights.

Comment

His WBC mandatory

Comment

Jermall Charlo......

Comment

Jermall Charlo.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    Whatever brings in the most dollars. So that would be the winner of Saunders and Lemieux. I'd rather see him fight Saunders personally it would be interesting. Failing that, Charlo. I really don't see the point of moving up because Ward is gone. I don't think he could beat Ward anyway if Ward is allowed to get away with his cheating. In a straight up fight by the rules I think Ward would still be a problem. He's bigger and very smart.
                    Dont think itll be the winner of Lemieux/Saunders, thats the reason the rematch wont be next, Canelo wants the winner

Comment

Working...
                    X