No announcement yet.

Modern Fighters Can't Really Be Compared with Older Eras

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Fighters Can't Really Be Compared with Older Eras

The game has a very long history. In the last hundred years, we've seen more divisions and belts tagged on to what is considered a "Champion." But let's face it. If there was one recognized title in eight weight classes(where you make the weight the day of the fight), how many of these guys would stand up and win a title? We'll never know, sadly.

The sport itself has become so watered down that even the best modern fighter won't ever win a title and be considered undisputed champion. No matter how you look at it, they just can't do it. Look how long it's taking GGG to even get the fights made to become the sole champion in a division. Had he been in Monzon's day? It would have taken one fight. Sugar Ray Robinson only had to face one guy to become champion and there were no others during his reigns.

So for Mayweather or any other modern fighter to say he is better than the guys who actually won the only title around back then, is ludicrous.

Yea they can, its just the older fighters dont fare very well, good troll btw oh sorry I blew your cover, whoops

Comment

I still have a hard time believing Crawford beats Pryor.

Comment

Same can be said for any sport but fact of the matter is we can only know from video games and even that isn't legit, appreciate your era. In the 70s and 80s they were saying same thing about the 40s and 50s and vice verse even before that, no one appreciates the present until years later.

Comment

spot on brother and that's without even getting into the bull**** catch weight fights that go on these days.

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN SUPREME View Post
            spot on brother and that's without even getting into the bull**** catch weight fights that go on these days.
            Yeah, man. I think this is pretty obvious really. How many guys right now would hold belts if we had the old one champion per eight divisions thing going on?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K View Post
              Same can be said for any sport but fact of the matter is we can only know from video games and even that isn't legit, appreciate your era. In the 70s and 80s they were saying same thing about the 40s and 50s and vice verse even before that, no one appreciates the present until years later.
              I appreciate the present and the modern fighters. However, they just can't be measured against ears that had one champion per division in eight divisions and 15-rounders. The sport has screwed it up. There's always talented guys out there. I'm not knocking them. My point is that the situation now is so bad that they're unfortunate to be fighting in this ear- legacy wise.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                Yeah, man. I think this is pretty obvious really. How many guys right now would hold belts if we had the old one champion per eight divisions thing going on?
                lots of paper champs out there would be upset that's for sure.

Comment

The Heavyweight Ratings for The RING in February 1947

Joe Louis, Champion

1. Tami Mauriello
                  2. Elmer Ray
                  3. Jersey Joe Walcott
                  4. Bruce Wood****
                  5. Lee Q Murray
                  6. Curtis Sheppard
                  7. Melio Bettina
                  8. Joe Baksi
                  9. Joe Kahut
                  10. Joey Maxim

Notice how there are ten contenders- just contenders?

If it were today, Louis would be WBA super champ, Mauriello would be IBF champ, Jersey Joe would hold the WBA regular title and Wood**** would hold the WBC belt and what the hell? I'll give Maxim the WBC title. See how ridiculous this sport has become?

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                    The Heavyweight Ratings for The RING in February 1947

Joe Louis, Champion

1. Tami Mauriello
                    2. Elmer Ray
                    3. Jersey Joe Walcott
                    4. Bruce Wood****
                    5. Lee Q Murray
                    6. Curtis Sheppard
                    7. Melio Bettina
                    8. Joe Baksi
                    9. Joe Kahut
                    10. Joey Maxim

Notice how there are ten contenders- just contenders?

If it were today, Louis would be WBA super champ, Mauriello would be IBF champ, Jersey Joe would hold the WBA regular title and Wood**** would hold the WBC belt and what the hell? I'll give Maxim the WBC title. See how ridiculous this sport has become?
                    Sorry. WBO for Woodcok, WBC for Maxim.

Comment

Working...
                    X