Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are fighters at the elite level born or made?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    young dew, is that tom cruise?
    Yeah, LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by King Canelo View Post
      Yeah, LMAO

lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by Joey_Torreo View Post
        Idk, it depends on the fighter I would says. Tim Bradley is elite fighter but doesn't have fast hands or one punch ko power but he has great work ethic that took him to the top
        Yeah Bradley isn't really very gifted...

He's probably the hardest working guy in the sport where his will exceeds his skill, his handspeed is decent doe.

Comment

Definitely born. There are just physical and mental traits that you can't just train for. Some people are just born to be athletes and some people aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by King Canelo View Post
            Do you believe anyone can be trained to be a world champ if they spend decades of work?

Or is there an extra thing that the elites have?

Are the elites a higher breed of modern day spartans?
            No some fighters or athletes in general are born better then the rest and honed those gifts threw hard work and no amount of training or hard work will make a normal person the same at least that's what I think. But to get to the levels of like say Bradley or canelo or someone who's elite just not the cream of the crip them yeah I can see hard work taking a person there.

If it were just hard work that got people there everyone would be the next lebron or something but it doesn't work that way take Montell griffin for example he started boxing when he was young his mom didn't like it so he stopped for like 10 years or so when he was old enough to do what he wanted he went back to it and said within two years he qualified for the Olympics that's insane in it's self but he never became some world beater or super elite fighter because he just didn't have whatever makes the super elite so special and never will.

Comment

I picked made, now if they was no weight class handicap then i would have gone born cause if your just not big enough to be a heavyweight then it would be almost impossible. As it is now i go with made, marital arts is somewhat the same way. Where someone who survived many battles thinks back at exactly what they did that other's weren't doing (natural talent) and start teaching that (technique) So i feel if a fighter learns what there doing and gets enough experience they can make it too the elite level but only after crazy amount of experience. Most elite fighters i can think of been fighting for a decade or more.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                if this were true, anybody could be agreat fighter if he worked hard. gifted fighter don't "just have it easier." they have something that an untalented man does not have. no amount of work will compensate for a big enough lack of lack of talent. some kids get out on the field and run like deer fro the time they're old enough to run. some kids aren't coordinated enough to even get in stride.

in truth, most of the guys at the top work as hard as you can work without getting overtrained. for the most part, everybody works hard. talent, geography, timing, and even luck all play a part in who is most successful. it's not just about hard work.
                Anybody could, if they had the work ethic among other intangibles to go with it. Just like you can be born with all the gift in the world and throw them away or not utilize them to the fullest.

Obviously if the gap is big enough between talent, no work will close it, I think we both know those people aren't who I am thinking of with my original statement. Just because it can be done doesn't mean everyone who works incredibly hard will get there, obviously.

Seeing how few people get to the highest level on work alone is a testament to how hard it is, not that it isn't true.

Obivously we can all point out unathletic or challenged people, just like we can all point out people with talent thrown away because of poor work ethic, ancedotes and small sample sizes of random people mean nothing.
                Last edited by LoadedWraps; 07-19-2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

born. is every human capable of killing another human? nope. the world would be even more f uked up if every person who joined a gang was a natural born killer ..

Comment

Bornnnn readyyy

Comment

You must have great talent but without tons and tons of hard work, it is not going to mean anything. Show me an elite fighter that doesn't give two craps about training and I have have some oceanfront property in South Dakota that I would love to show you.

Comment

Working...
                      X