Floyd straight up ducked Cotto in 2008

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @1:10

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tXBDaK4yabY

"I'm not going to get involved in anything if I think I'm going to take a loss"

Floyd Mayweather

Comment

• [QUOTE=Chollo Vista;17978001]@1:10

First off, you didn't debunk anything noteworthy of what the author has stated. Your entire point was based upon the ring magazine annual ratings which to say the least also contradicts the majority of the points you made(Which i will go through point by point below). The top 10 rating you used also had Cotto as Nr.1 in JMW by the time Floyd beat him, something you didn’t mention once in your entire ranting. Not to mention the fact that you totally missunderstood the actual definition of the term “Ducking” considering the way you used it. “Ducking” an opponent in boxing doesn’t necessarily mean just avoiding a fighter. Ducking is defined along with the context in which you actually avoid a fighter. The context in this case has to be fear, it’s only ducking when you avoid a fighter based purely upon fear of losing. Seeing as Floyd took a fight vs Cotto who was also ranked nr.1 in the JMW division destroys the rumor that Floyd was afraid of Cotto.Therefore doesn't qualify as "ducking". I don’t think I need to go into detail for why Floyd absolutely didn’t duck Margarito. The following is me debunking your statements word by word.

Who from the Cotto camp said this? This was Chris Ackerman providing his opinion on how people in the Cotto camp felt.

Did the author even imply that someone from Cotto's camp said anything? It says clear as a day “Chris Ackerman reported” so why are you targeting a point that was never made? It’s obvious no one from Cottos camp would ever say he isn’t ready. That’s where Chris Ackerman came into the picture to give his unbiased opinion from a neutral standpoint.

In 2004, FMJ beat Demarcus Corley. That's it.
      In 2004, Cotto beat Sosa, N'dou, Pinto and Randall Bailey.

Here you go again, debunking arguments that nobody here made. I failed to see exactly how that is a counter to the main argument which was that Cotto didn’t fight any top ranked boxer during that year. Nobody said Cotto didn’t have more fights, he specifically said “Cotto didn’t fight top tier boxers”, which is right since none of the 4 fighters you mentioned were even in the top 10 list on both the 2003 and the 2004 ratings. Corely was at least ranked nr 6 in 2003 and was a tough competitor for Floyd considering the fact that Floyd just transitioned to another division.

In 2005, FMJ beat Henry Bruseles and Arturo Gatti.
      In 2005, Cotto beat Corley, Abdullaev and Torres.
      In summary, Floyd's JWW resume consisted of Bruseles, Gatti
      and Demarcus Corley.
      In summary, Cotto's JWW resume consisted of Martinez, Maussa, Sosa, N'dou, Pinto, Randall Bailey, Corley, Abdullaev, Torres, Branco, and Malignaggi.

First off, you have a very odd method of comparing fighters. Cotto obviously beat more boxers because JWW is where he started his pro boxing career and fought for about 6 years in the division. Of Course Cotto has the edge concerning quantity but not when it comes to quality. The whole argument which the author made was about the quality of the fights not the quantity.

Floyd's JWW resume isn't that much better than Cotto's; if at all. Cotto beat more JWW's. If you like to count Gatti as the end all be all, go ahead.

Floyd beat 2 top 10 fighters with one of them being ranked nr.1 and the other nr.6th while in contrast Cotto only beat 2 top 10 fighters ranked 7th and 8th. Do i need to go furthur?

But explain how Mayweather was beating the top JWW (plural), by beating Gatti, Corley and Bruseles?

Because Floyd beat Arturo Gatti who was ranked nr.1 boxer in the division up until Floyd beat him. Corley was also ranked nr.6 in the division before losing to Floyd. While in contrast, none of the opponents that Miguel Cotto beat were in the top 10 except for Ndou and Corley who were ranked 8th and 7th.

In summary, whoever this author is, is lying.

It Doesn’t seem like it. You were the one attempting to refute points which the author never made. He was talking about the quality of fights each fighter had and not the quantity. Quality wise Floyd easily has the edge therefore the author isn’t lying.

At the end of 2006, Mayweather beat Zab Judah and Carlos Baldomir at 147.

Yes

At the end of 2006, Cotto had the WBA by beating Quintana.

Yes but why did you mention the fact that Cotto had a title fight without mentioning Floyds title fights???

Mayweather unified, but wasn't undisputed. He would've had to beat Cotto to do that.

Undisputed means that you collect belts from 3 or 4 of the major sanctioning bodies. Floyd acquired the IBF by beating Judah and took the remaining WBC, IBO and IBA as well as the lineal title by beating Baldomir. Floyd would have been fully undisputed if Baldomir had paid the sanctioning fees to WBA and received that title. so skillswise, Floyd was undisputed. A much better resume than Cotto, not even comparable!

Mayweather beat Oscar at 154 and Hatton at 147. Notice Floyd didn't beat not one top Welterweight all year. Let's look at the Ring's top Welterweights at the end of 2007:

Because Floyd didn’t even fight a single boxer at WW that year. He jumped straight to the JMW division to fight Oscar who was placed Nr.3 in the JMW division and Hatton was the champion beyond the top 10 in the LW. Why look at Floyds WW record in 2007 when he wasn’t even fighting in that division?

As it stands, in 2007, Mayweather beat Hatton and DLH. Mayweather did NOT beat 1 Top 10 Welterweight. Not one.

Keyword “Welterweight”
      Floyd beat a champion and nr.3 boxer in JMW and JWW. But not in WW, stop mentioning WW when Floyd didn’t even fight in that division. The author is talking about JMW and LW in 2007 and Floyds undisputed title by the end of 2006.

As it stands, in 2007, Cotto beat Urkal, Judah and Mosley. Cotto beat 3 top 10 Welterweights at the end of 2007.

In the Welterweight yes. However Floyd beat the nr.3 fighter in a division above WW as well as two top 10 title holders in 2006 with one ranked nr.2 and had undisputed + lineal title.

Why is this guy lying?

He obviously isn’t!

@1:38, Cotto says "Mayweather, Hatton, Margarito, De La Hoya, Whoever they put in front of me, I'll fight".

No Cotto said “for now, i am going to rest, take a little vacation and after that am going to talk to my company, and whoever it is they say i’ll face him”. The reporter was the one who mentioned Floyd. How is that calling out someone?

This is the 2nd time that when asked about Mayweather, Cotto has said he will fight him along with anyone else at 147. Stop lying.

No,Cotto never made any offer or call out to fight Floyd, he specifically said i will fight whoever my company wants me to fight. Quit twisting words! It was the reporter who mentioned Floyd and all the other fighters not Cotto. You haven’t refuted the author's main point!

That's probably because in December 2007, here's what Floyd had to say regarding facing Cotto:
      "I don't want to call out no Welterweights. I'm going to retire from the sport of boxing before the sport of boxing retires me".

Still doesn’t matter because Cotto signed those contracts before Floyds post fight interview vs Hatton. Merchant was asking Floyd to fight Cotto after Floyds return. Merchant already revealed that Floyd had plans to retire from the sport of boxing long before 2008. Floyd said he’d retire in 2006 because had constantly been fighting champions in 5 divisions for almost 2 decades. He beat all champions in SFW, LW, LWW and an undisputed champion in the WW division. And at the end, he said he needed a break and vacation to rest. You gotta be kidding me to call that a duck!

It's kind of hard to negotiate with a retired fighter that made it quite clear to Larry Merchant that he wanted no part of Miguel Cotto when asked.

Because Floyd made it clear years before Cotto was dangerous that he was planning to retire. Not to mention the fact that Cotto signed the Gomez contract before the interview you posted.

Again, in Nov 2007, Cotto said he would fight Floyd Mayweather:
      You quoted what Maywether said earlier so why not do it for Cotto? No one cares about your interpretations. Cotto said specifically “i will fight the guy which my company tells me to fight” and when the reporter mentioned Floyd, he said if my company wants i will fight Floyd and everybody, he didn’t give any direct response to fighting Floyd.

@1:38, Cotto says "Mayweather, Hatton, Margarito, De La Hoya, Whoever they put in front of me, I'll fight".
      Are you hard of hearing? Because Floyd Mayweather said this:

Funny how you say that knowing that the author wont respond. But I heard Cotto saying he’d fight guys that his company tells him to fight. You seem to be the one suffering from hearing cause you are implying things Cotto didn’t really say.

Was Cotto supposed to wait 2 years for Mayweather to come out of retirement before he fought again?

An official call out such as “I want to fight Floyd Maywether" would have been enough instead of “i’ll fight guys that my company tells me to fight”. The author was implying that Cotto never made any offers to fight Floyd and all you can provide is Cotto stating he’d fight whoever his company wants him to fight. How does that contradict anything the author implied?

If Mayweather doesn't retire, Cotto vs Mayweather happens instead.
      Cotto was in no condition to fight Mayweather because Mayweather was....... you guessed it, retired

But Cotto signed the Gomez contract before the Floyd interview, Cotto would have no way of finding out about Floyds retirement when he signed the contract.

Interesting that Mayweather fought Cotto 4 years after all this.
      If we're talking 140 lb resumes:

a 35 years floyd faced 31 years Cotto in the 154lbs division where Cotto was ranked nr.1 in the top 10 list in 2011. How does Floyd fear Cotto in 2007 when Cotto was ranked nr.1 and still fight him years later when Cotton was ranked nr.1. Therefore proving the evidence we needed to claim that reason Floyd avoided Cotto in 2007 was because he wanted to take a break and not fear as he eventually fought Cotto ranked nr.1. So not ducking, just taking a break.

Mayweather's resume looks like Gatti, Bruseles and Corley

Two of which were ranked in the top 10 list. 1 of them being nr.1 and the other nr 6.

Cotto's looks like this: Martinez, Maussa, Sosa, N'dou, Pinto, Randall Bailey, Corley, Abdullaev, Torres, Branco, and Malignaggi.

None of which were ranked in the top 10 except for 2 and both of them were ranked 7th and 8th in the top 10 list. Again the author was talking about quality not quantity!

I think Cotto had the better JWW resume.

And I am pretty sure it's vice versa. I am pretty sure beating a nr.1 and nr. 6 ranked fighter is much more impressive than beating boxers ranked as the 7th and 8th in the division.

So again, why was Floyd "supposedly" ok with fighting Cotto in 2005, but not 2007?
      Because Floyd didn’t have any decent victory in 2005 in WW while in 2007, he had plenty. Floyd in 2007 had managed to beat two title holders in the WW division one of which was technically an undisputed boxer who was ranked nr.2 in the WW. He had also beaten the Nr.3 ranked boxer in the JMW as well as the champion in the LW division.

Yeah, he won numerous belts by beating Zab Judah and Carlos Baldomir in 2006. Floyd didn't fight at Welterweight in 2007. Not one before retiring.

Stop being sarcastic about the truth. Floyd fought the nr.3 ranked boxer in the JMW division he beat Judah, the IBF title holder and also beat Baldomir who was an undisputed boxer and on top of that, Floyd also beat the undefeated champion in the LW division.

Maybe because Floyd said this:
      along with Cotto lives too far and isn't a PPV star.
      Yes, there is, he said it right here:

which is actually true.

Last I checked, Cotto clearly said this

No he didn’t,not specifically atleast. You just put words in Cotto's mouth, he said specifically “i will take a little break and go on a vacation and once i return i’ll fight whoever my company wants me to fight.” then the reporter went on to mention Floyd.

Lol think again. That post got destructed

Yea by putting words in the mouth of each fighter, by not defining the term Ducking properly. And by using the ring magazine statistics when it benefit you and ignoring when it doesn't. Notice how you didn’t even mention anything about Cotto being ranked nr.1 in JMW in 2011 by the time Floyd beat him.
      Last edited by Wildkg; 01-21-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Come read this guy Chollo Vista getting absolutely destroyed. He was lying out of his ass thinking that you guys knew nothing about boxing.

Comment

• Don't forget froid only fought pac after getting murked lifeless by marquez.

Comment

• Yes. Floyd ducks a fighter he goes on to fight (lol).

Comment

• That's what they implied. LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by Floyd is TBE View Post
                Cotto saw Floyd beat the **** out of Gatti and he didn't want none of that
                Exactly what I was gonna say. Yea it’s Cotto who got shaken after watching Gatti lol.

There were talks of Floyd-Cotto but during the Gatti fight, Cotto’s face looked all pale and sht as if he’s just seen a ghost. He looked shook as hell watching Gatti catch a straight beatdown by floyd. I bet very few people expected such savage beating and Cotto was like uh uh, I aint ready for this sht.

Lmfao at Floyd ducking Cotto

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                  @1:10

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tXBDaK4yabY

"I'm not going to get involved in anything if I think I'm going to take a loss"

Floyd Mayweather
                  cherrypickings, duckings, avoidings those are the skills he possessed.

Comment

• Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                    Exactly what I was gonna say. Yea it’s Cotto who got shaken after watching Gatti lol.

There were talks of Floyd-Cotto but during the Gatti fight, Cotto’s face looked all pale and sht as if he’s just seen a ghost. He looked shook as hell watching Gatti catch a straight beatdown by floyd. I bet very few people expected such savage beating and Cotto was like uh uh, I aint ready for this sht.

Lmfao at Floyd ducking Cotto
                    floyd duck someone from 2009 who's not even scared of floyd that gatti fought.

Comment

• Originally posted by blowblow View Post
                      cherrypickings, duckings, avoidings those are the skills he possessed.
                      Except that Floyd as a 35 years old man weighing at a 150lbs fought and decisively beat a 31 years Cotto who weighted 154lbs and was ranked nr.1 in the JMW division. Hounestly, just stop with the bs. Your useless ranting is not relevant to this topic.

Comment

Working...
                      X